RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Unless they caught wind that Cowboys were listening to trade down offers. Otherwise the trade does seem bizarre.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them flip the 3rd to move up for their second pick - likely RB/OL. But they gotta hit on it this time and not a bust like Basham.

Agreed it’s just bizarre 

Elam at 6’2” had the fastest 40-time of the upper level crop of CB’s as well as with vertical and shuttle.  He’s got the measurables and will be able to keep up with the leagues beastly receivers. The staff knows a lot more about the defensive backfield than we do.  Seems like a good choice and our biggest need is filled. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe they wanted Elam and liked Booth. The only thing I question is trading a 4th to move down two spots.  But I imaging Beane can get a pick back later in the draft by trading down.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll have to defer to McD and Beane on this one. McD knows what he wants in his corners. Anyone with a pair of eyes would pick Booth but I'll leave this one to the professionals. I definitely don't love that we moved up 2 spots with 3 corners available there but that shows they had Elam way higher than the others.

Now do we move up again for a RB?

Jeez, some of you guys kill me. Beane has hit nearly nothing but net since he arrived in town, turning this team from a laughing stock to a powerhouse in the process. Yet you are blasé about this pick because it wasn’t a WR or RB.

This defense is going to wreak havoc this year, in Beane I trust.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.