RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

I will never question this FO with Secondary picks. And giving a 4th to secure the CB2 spot with a high ceiling young speedy CB. No problem with it. 

reality is a 4th round pick might not make this team. 

and no RB reach so I love it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

To trade up I’m guessing Elam was a 1st round grade for Beane and company.

For sure.   They probably had him 20th or something like that.  They trade up when they see a guy who in their opinion should already be gone.  McBeane make moves like this when they feel strongly about a guy.

I came into the draft hoping they'd trade up, because that means there's a guy they really want.  Getting a corner they really want is great.  He'll need to learn a lot, but right out of the gate he's probably better than Wallace or anyone the Bills have now.   

He probably starts with Dane Jackson, and in November the Bills will have a seasoned rookie and Tre White at corner.   Nice. 

• Like (+1) 5

Obviously, traits were important to Beane in this pick.  Elam is long, fast and quick.  Beane must be assuming Buffalo can coach up his deficiencies in tackling and his tendency to take some penalties due to his aggressiveness in coverage.  My biggest question is why Beane thought a trade was necessary to move ahead of Dallas.  Nobody I saw ever suggested Dallas was going to draft a CB.  We'll probably have to wait and see if any rumors emerge to explain it.  In any case, is obvious that Buffalo's preference for Elam over Kyler Gordon and Andrew Booth had to be pretty strong to drive the trade.

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They weren’t drafting corner they wanted a defensive end or tackle looks like I was correct 

Or they just didn't like Booth or Gordon and we stole their top graded corner.

6 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

How excited were posters when Bills picked Tre White? This kid may not be Tre but gotta know McBeane know about CBs.

Well, they did pass on a chance to take one of 2 QBs who are being paid over 40M per next season.  

But they weren't ready to take a QB that season.  LOL

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

If they can make tre white a top 5 corner 

make Levi an undrafted player a functional starting corner who got a good contract

turn taron into one of the best nickel corners

then what can they do with this guy who has more gifts than all of them…  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Cowboys? Who drafted Kelvin Joseph and Trevon Diggs the last two years and had massive holes on their oline? Those guys? 

Unless they caught wind that Cowboys were listening to trade down offers. Otherwise the trade does seem bizarre.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them flip the 3rd to move up for their second pick - likely RB/OL. But they gotta hit on it this time and not a bust like Basham.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.