NFL First Round Discussion Thread

Process

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Anybody else noticing Mel Kiper shaking when he wasn't talking ? I wonder if he's getting Parkinson's ??

He may have some medical condition as he said he didn't get the Covid vaccine due to "my own personal medical history."

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. It is part of my defense of the Jordan Love pick. If you have an older QB and you see a guy you think can be your QB of the future and you believe in him you take a shot. Even if it doesn't work out strategically that is a good decision. It is the most important position in sports. That pick is a lightening rod for people who should really be focusing on a boat load of 1st and 2nd round picks spent on bad and average defensive players, not a shot at finding their next QB. 

I would’ve defended the Love pick if it was along the lines of the Rodgers pick back in the day, for the exact reasons you state. But my issue with it was that they traded up. That changes the optics significantly, and sends a message to your fans and players - most notably Rodgers himself. Sending that message did a LOT to damage their relationship with Rodgers. So far, it’s not even close to being worth it. 

If you want to take a big swing like that, you have to connect. Otherwise you look like a fool. Whereas if you draft a QB in your own spot, you have the plausible deniability of saying, “we don’t need a QB right now, but this guy was by far the highest rated player on our board.”

1 hour ago, Cash said:

I would’ve defended the Love pick if it was along the lines of the Rodgers pick back in the day, for the exact reasons you state. But my issue with it was that they traded up. That changes the optics significantly, and sends a message to your fans and players - most notably Rodgers himself. Sending that message did a LOT to damage their relationship with Rodgers. So far, it’s not even close to being worth it. 

If you want to take a big swing like that, you have to connect. Otherwise you look like a fool. Whereas if you draft a QB in your own spot, you have the plausible deniability of saying, “we don’t need a QB right now, but this guy was by far the highest rated player on our board.”

True but they only went up 4 spots for a mid round pick. Not like they gave a lot up. I still think that is strategically defensible in a way drafting endless non-premium position defensive players in round 1 year after year isn't. 

Can't believe how fast the first round went. Bills picked well ahead of estimates last night.

Probably aided by all the trades up where the team immediately turned the pick in once they traded up since they obviously traded up for a specific player.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Can't believe how fast the first round went. Bills picked well ahead of estimates last night.

Probably aided by all the trades up where the team immediately turned the pick in once they traded up since they obviously traded up for a specific player.

I was glad, the draft took way too long in years past.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, The Red King said:

Yes, another one.  Like taking that bum Allen when Rosen was still available? 😁

yeah, clearly Allen is an exception.   Trading up for Edmunds was amazing.   And trading up for Ford (also 2nd round) worked out well also.  The blind trust that Elam is better than the other CB’s or S Hill is unwarranted.  

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True but they only went up 4 spots for a mid round pick. Not like they gave a lot up. I still think that is strategically defensible in a way drafting endless non-premium position defensive players in round 1 year after year isn't. 

Right, but it still leads to his headline: “Packers trade up for QB”. Optics matter. Maybe they shouldn’t matter, but they do. 

Side note: I don’t think it helped that Love wasn’t seen as a consensus first rounder; more of a borderline guy. When the Packers drafted Rodgers, he was in the mix for 1st overall and slid allllllll the way down. I don’t recall seeing any mocks that had Love earlier than the 20s, and I don’t think he was always in the first. 

In TSW mock draft 1.0 I had the Eagles taking Jordan Davis, which was met with doubts. I think it is the perfect fit. In 2.0 I had the Texans taking Derek Stingley (at 13). Banging the table that Stingley he is better than Gardner. The League agreed. In 3.0 I had the Saints taking Olave. That is why i love those drafts that @Virgil organzies. So much appreciated. 

It is was a really interesting draft and there is still a ton of talent on the board. Excited for today. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

In TSW mock draft 1.0 I had the Eagles taking Jordan Davis, which was met with doubts. I think it is the perfect fit. In 2.0 I had the Texans taking Derek Stingley (at 13). Banging the table that Stingley he is better than Gardner. The League agreed. In 3.0 I had the Saints taking Olave. That is why i love those drafts that @Virgil organzies. So much appreciated. 

It is was a really interesting draft and there is still a ton of talent on the board. Excited for today. 

We should get you some sort of trophy made up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

We should get you some sort of trophy made up. 

Haha! I would appreciate that. But seriously, I am always willing to admit that I am wrong when we take receipts. And I am wrong a lot. So I am just pointing out that I had some level of success in a fantasy board draft. Also, a lot of people said a lot of really dumb stuff over the past few weeks that was extremely inaccurate so I hope they take some receipts as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Felt fast to me too. Less David Shaw adding absolutely zero value to the NFL Network broadcast is always a good thing. 

20 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Haha! I would appreciate that. But seriously, I am always willing to admit that I am wrong when we take receipts. And I am wrong a lot. So I am just pointing out that I had some level of success in a fantasy board draft. Also, a lot of people said a lot of really dumb stuff over the past few weeks that was extremely inaccurate so I hope they take some receipts as well. 

Totally agree. It is part of the game you have opinions you take the Ls with the Ws. You don't disappear when the Ls are heading your way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I just have to say that the deal of the night was the ravens sending Hollywood brown to the cards for a first round pick. I couldn’t imagine giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. Just nuts. 

Insane. The Ravens got a first round pick for a guy whose 5th year option they probably weren’t going to pick up. Think about that.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Insane. The Ravens got a first round pick for a guy whose 5th year option they probably weren’t going to pick up. Think about that.

Almost as good as the Bills getting a 3rd rounder for Tyrod and having the Browns pick up his bonus

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

I’ve been pretty sensible all night. Go read many other posts from others as a comparison.  Like I said, surprised my comment heated you up so much. You keep saying that I’m complaining.  I think you were missing on my tone. 

Was it blatantly obvious we needed CB? Yes. Did other teams likely know that? Yes.  Does Beane lose some leverage as a result? Yes. Was Beane potentially forced to pay extra to take ‘the only other CB with a first round value?’ Yes. 

I don’t think Beane himself would disagree or have a problem with the above.  It just played out that way. 

Like I said, it is what it is. We have a starter, hopefully… and hopefully the next Tre White. I trust Beane. I’m not sour one bit. Would I have loved to see some fortune fall to us? Sure.. but we have a position of need now filled.  

You were placing so much emphasis on what a shame it was the moved was telegraphed. What i was trying to say to you was who cares? Its nothing to loose sleep over my man. The pick matched a need that someones grandmother could have picked out. The entire thing just made sense. I didnt read your other posts - it just seemed like a weird thing to complain about. You keep saying I was triggered, but maybe you missed the tone as well. S'all good, everything worked out the way it should so no need to sweat the small stuff!

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

You were placing so much emphasis on what a shame it was the moved was telegraphed. What i was trying to say to you was who cares? Its nothing to loose sleep over my man. The pick matched a need that someones grandmother could have picked out. The entire thing just made sense. I didnt read your other posts - it just seemed like a weird thing to complain about. You keep saying I was triggered, but maybe you missed the tone as well. S'all good, everything worked out the way it should so no need to sweat the small stuff!

This all got blown out of proportion. Zero sleep lost. 

I thought it was pretty telegraphed. I do believe that’s why KC jumped ahead and why Beane had to jump up a couple spots. Teams were on to us. I’m not sweating anything.  I’ve said over and over, in Beane I trust.  That said, not saying he panicked… but his back was against the wall a bit, and he had to scramble to get out guy.  It’s not surprising in the least that this is how it played out.  I’m fine with the pick. I’m pumped we should have a starter. I knew we absolutely needed a CB early on. 

There are people blasting the pick and blasting Beane. I have zero issues with the pick.  And while I wish we didn’t have to give up a 4th, he did what he felt he had to do. The 4th kinda sucks… but for everything else, it is what it is. Now we see what the kid can do on the field!

I’ve learned my lesson when it comes to draft day and Beane… yes, I thought we got the wrong Josh in ‘18.  Now I have a man-crush on #17 and love eating that crow. 

Cheers man - go Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.