NFL First Round Discussion Thread

Process

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Packers get a huge F from me.

They get all this credit for being so smart, they’re terrible.

Aaron Rodgers was selected in 2005.

Since then they taken 13 defensive players with their first pick in the Draft and one pick was Jordan Love.

One WR with their first pick in the draft - 2008 Jordy Nelson in the 2nd Round.

And what do they do again this year? Two more defensive players. 

And with all that investment, they’ve had a pedestrian defense for years. 

Agree. It is part of my defense of the Jordan Love pick. If you have an older QB and you see a guy you think can be your QB of the future and you believe in him you take a shot. Even if it doesn't work out strategically that is a good decision. It is the most important position in sports. That pick is a lightening rod for people who should really be focusing on a boat load of 1st and 2nd round picks spent on bad and average defensive players, not a shot at finding their next QB. 

7 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

The same could be said for Lloyd and Johnson. We can go in circles all day. I just dont agree with the trade up.

At first blush, I wasn't crazy about giving up a 4th either.  Having said that, what would I as a Bills fan regret more...not moving up and not getting the CB the Bills wanted or moving up when the Bills didn't have to.   I think I'd err on the side of caution and grab the player the Bills most needed.  I also didn't think we'd use all 8 picks anyway.  At some point Beane would have likely traded up.  He did it in the first round to get the player he wanted at the position we had the biggest need.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

We'll probably find out tomorrow what Beane and co. was thinking anyways.

Last year Bills were going to take Eric Stokes with their first round pick and the Packers traded one spot ahead of them and grabbed Stokes.

Beane did not want history to repeat itself.

• Agree 1

I'm sure it's been said dozens of times in various thread but I just can't comprehend what the Packers are doing. They're really going into the year with Allen Lazard and Sammy Watkins as their top wideout options? During their legendary QB's final run? It just defies logic. Then you add the spice of the completely wasted Jordan Love pick and the fact that they haven't tried to move him yet. Just a weird team, they deserve all the ridicule they're getting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I'm sure it's been said dozens of times in various thread but I just can't comprehend what the Packers are doing. They're really going into the year with Allen Lazard and Sammy Watkins as their top wideout options? During their legendary QB's final run? It just defies logic. Then you add the spice of the completely wasted Jordan Love pick and the fact that they haven't tried to move him yet. Just a weird team, they deserve all the ridicule they're getting.

They have Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. Maybe Rodgers 50 million is a smokescreen and they wanna be a dominant run team. They certainly have the personnel. 

Anyone else put off by Kayvon Thibodeaux's attitude?

I get it , he's smart and plays chess and not checkers but he is super arrogant instead of confident, reminds me of Ray Lewis without the accomplishments.

44 minutes ago, Nelius said:

They are in prehistoric times running the team like its the 60s not caring at all about what their elite QB needs and just doing what they "think" is best.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They are in prehistoric times running the team like its the 60s not caring at all about what their elite QB needs and just doing what they "think" is best.

They seem to be strangely focused on the run game yet I also remember them ignoring Aaron Jones at many important times last year as a fantasy owner. It's almost like they're building as if Dillon is going to be the second coming of Derrick Henry. I'm not sold, his ypc dropped last year and he lacks Henry's strength and stiffarm reach.

Edited by Nelius

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

They seem to be strangely focused on the run game yet I also remember them ignoring Aaron Jones at many important times last year as a fantasy owner. It's almost like they're building as if Dillon is going to be the second coming of Derrick Henry. I'm not sold, his ypc dropped last year and he lacks Henry's strength and stiffarm reach.

Wasting millions of dollars on Rodgers and not getting him weapons is the height of arrogance.

Rodgers should have trusted his gut and bailed, if i was him i would demand a trade immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.