NFL First Round Discussion Thread

Process

3 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Doubt Beane is very happy right now. Not about the pick itself, but because he was forced into a move and had to pay for it, versus waiting and or having leverage. 

Leaving that void at CB obviated taking BPA, I don't believe for a moment Lloyd didn't have a R1 grade. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Greg Cossell gave a precise evaluation on Elam.  He will fit in very well opposite Tre.  4.39 speed and is a physical CB.  Beane and his team has one of the best draft records.  Armchair GMs can moan and groan but the facts speak for themselves.  

Maybe i’m wrong but I didn’t think he ran 4.39 40 at the combine. id like him more if he did. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Not sure what happened with Jermaine Johnson, or why Beane apparently didn’t have a 1st RD grade on him, but the Jets - on paper - look to have had a great RD1 with 3 potential impact players. 

I definitely trust the Jets GM over Beane. Bills only had the #1 defense and #3 offense. Jets had the 32nd defense and 26th offense. 

Johnson had a 14% pass rush win rate which is not simply low, but truly abysmal. He may be good, but I wouldn't be sure he actually wins a position on actual production this year and they certainly couldn't put him on the practice squad. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It happens. It was an overpay by the value of trades in this first round, but it is pretty much bang on the JJ chart value. 

I am not talking about value of the trade. I am talking about being desperate to trade up because you have 1 player with 1st round grade left and it happens to be a player on the position of need and everybody knows it.

It is not a big deal I love Beane just saying that this looks like a panic move (by his own words) and it was not his best moment.

I am actually very surprised by what he said. It doesn't make him look good. And he could've say many different things.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Playoffs? said:

Ease up fella. No need to get upset. I would hardly say I was complaining.. just stating that our hands seem to have been tied and teams somewhat knew it. 
I’m baffled that my comment triggered you that much. I’m a huge Beane supporter and I trust the guy, but I saw this exact scenario coming from a mile away. 

Is what it is. We needed a corner. 

Right,  so we did what was needed. Why complain? This post is sensible. The previous one was unnecessarily throwing shade. Nothing personal, its a message board. That said, ever read the Pats board or Chiefs planet? The ignorance and entitlement is unbearable. Bills fans are better than that. Winning is fun, but that previous 20 years sucked. A little bit of remembering where we came from to get here goes a long way

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Translation he panicked 

He definitely did. Looks like he thought McDuffie was going to be there then scrambled to get the last CB on their board.

Im sure he will be a perfectly fine player but giving up a 4th was typical Beane head scratcher. He sure loves to hand over picks.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

I am not talking about value of the trade. I am talking about being desperate to trade up because you have 1 player with 1st round grade left and it happens to be a player on the position of need and everybody knows it.

It is not a big deal I love Beane just saying that this looks like a panic move (by his own words) and it was not his best moment.

I am actually very surprised by what he said. It doesn't make him look good. And he could've say many different things.

They got a bit desperate. I think that is clearly evident. But if Kaiir Elam gives us a legit 1A and 1B at corner it won't matter. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.