TV Draft Coverage…

LabattBlue

NFLN or ESPN?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your preference

• ESPN
    • NFLN

Is the broadcast on ABC a simulcast, or do they have their own coverage? I typically record both and flip back and forth. But if I had to pick one, it would probably be ESPN, because I watch NFLN a lot, so I know most of their takes already.  

I just verified. ABC has their own crew. @BTB perhaps a third option for the poll?

Hosts & analysts

ESPN: Louis Riddick, Mike Greenberg, Mel Kiper Jr., Booger McFarland.

ABC: Sam Ponder, Robert Griffin III, Laura Rutledge, Todd McShay, Rece Davis, Desmond Howard, Suzy Kolber, David Pollack, Jesse Palmer.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Unpopular opinion, but there has been a shift and ESPN coverage is better. Their highlights are better and they show highlights and analyze almost every pick over three days. I like Mel. He is like a savant in a weird way. He’s super awkward, but I like his analysis. Not a McShay guy. It was unbearable when Gruden was on. 

I love DJ and I really liked Mayock. But they skip over picks too much and sometimes  just show the scroll at the bottom. ESPN does the scroll, but they always circle back and analyze the picks and show highlights.

So I will watch NFLN a lot tonight, but will watch ESPN the other days because they actually talk about the picks and show highlights on days 2 and 3. The ABC feed is for people like my wife who like the stories and the stuff like that. 

Good tip. I haven't watched ESPN in a few years. Maybe I will try them on Days 2 and 3. Thanks. I much prefer analysis and clips of the later picks to all the rehashing of Round 1 that seems to go on. If ESPN is better at that, then I'm in.

• Like (+1) 1

On Kiper being remote…

The draft, which is being held in Las Vegas, requires on-site media to be vaccinated. In a statement, Kiper iterated he will still be working the draft, and said his decision not to get the vaccine is "very specific to [his] own personal medical history."

Sounds like an NFL decision is keeping him away. 

4 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Good tip. I haven't watched ESPN in a few years. Maybe I will try them on Days 2 and 3. Thanks. I much prefer analysis and clips of the later picks to all the rehashing of Round 1 that seems to go on. If ESPN is better at that, then I'm in.

No problem! You just have to be patient, because they do rehash a lot, but then they circle back to highlights and analysis for guys who were picked while they were rehashing and interviewing people. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really enjoy watching the College Game Day crew for the draft on ESPN. They are more knowledgeable about the college game in the first place and tend to have some better insights on the players drafted. 

• Like (+1) 1

NFL Network's guys (Rich Eisen, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis, David Shaw, Joel Klatt, Ian Rapaport, Peter Schrager, Kurt Warner) are better than ESPN's guys (Mike Greenberg, remote Mel Kiper, Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Chris Mortenson).

I also feel there's a bit more detailed discussion of the prospects themselves on the NFL Network coverage, whereas ESPN comes at it more from an entertainment/spectacle/sideshow angle.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

I really enjoy watching the College Game Day crew for the draft on ESPN. They are more knowledgeable about the college game in the first place and tend to have some better insights on the players drafted. 

Is that on ESPNU or something? 

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

NFL Network's guys (Rich Eisen, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis, David Shaw, Joel Klatt, Ian Rapaport, Peter Schrager, Kurt Warner) are better than ESPN's guys (Mike Greenberg, remote Mel Kiper, Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Chris Mortenson).

I also feel there's a bit more detailed discussion of the prospects themselves on the NFL Network coverage, whereas ESPN comes at it more from an entertainment/spectacle/sideshow angle.

I just read that Booger will be on ESPN’s main desk(Thu & Fri coverage).  That is a big negative.

Also, not that big of a deal but Shefter will also be absent from coverage as he is attending his son’s college graduation.   

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

For the first time in forever, I have no TV or cable services. I have installed the ESPN app. Can I watch the draft through that app without any subscriptions?

Coverage on ABC?  Antenna?

Edited by BTB

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Is that on ESPNU or something? 

Last year I believe they had the regular group on ESPN and then the Game Day crew was on ESPN2. There might have been a day mixed in where they were on ABC also, but I can't remember clearly. Maybe day 3 was ABC? 

Looks like the Gameday crew, mixed in with a few others, will be on ABC this year for the first two days. 

Fan-Guide-NFL-Draft-3.png

Edited by H2o
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BTB said:

I wish they had not kicked Wingo to the curb.  I guess I may go back and forth and see which coverage has less of…

1 - guys constantly talking over each other

2 - guys yucking it up and trying to be funny…specifically the hosts.  

Chances are I will be disappointed in both. The tiebreaker…I don’t care how accurate he is, I love me some Kiper on draft weekend. 

Re: talking over each other, can't be worse than Tasker/Brown constantly talking over each other on OBD. Neither can finish a comment without the other jumping in to cut them off. These are the best the Bills Media Office has to offer us?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

Re: talking over each other, can't be worse than Tasker/Brown constantly talking over each other on OBD. Neither can finish a comment without the other jumping in to cut them off. These are the best the Bills Media Office has to offer us?

Mix in Squeaky Glab, and that is quite the trio. 😂

13 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Nope. I have nothing. Post Superbowl, I decided to unplug and see how long it takes me to miss it. Today is the first day I realized I don't have any kind of TV

I think you may be able to watch it on the ESPN app, since they usually offer their aired content.  You will likely have to login though.  You also might be able to watch it on the NFL App.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.