TV Draft Coverage…

LabattBlue

NFLN or ESPN?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your preference

• ESPN
    • NFLN

21 minutes ago, JMM said:

As a "Boomer" who's been watching the draft since I was a teen, I absolutely HATE what they have done with the draft coverage. From separating it into three days to the ridiculous over the top attempt to make it a "show " I absolutely can't stand it now. 

Fans dressed up, screaming and acting like idiots on camera cheering for players they've never heard of

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

There isn’t a single thing Goodell touches that doesn’t ultimately turn into crap. 

That's definitely not true.... that's Major League Baseball, which is now the ultimate in joke professional leagues. The last two commissioners have turned it into a farce, like a professional office building with a bunch of homeless camped around it.

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

It was boring until that Ed Marinaro guy got up there. 😀

I could listen to that guy all night.... actually I think we did. Lol!

That was pure gold.  The best was the production lady coming out and pointing to the card.  If you paid somebody to punk everything the draft has become, couldn’t have done it better.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That's definitely not true.... that's Major League Baseball, which is now the ultimate in joke professional leagues. The last two commissioners have turned it into a farce, like a professional office building with a bunch of homeless camped around it.

Not sure what MLB has to do with Goodell but I’m not going to argue that I’ve never been able to watch an entire nine inning game until the playoffs. 

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That was pure gold.  The best was the production lady coming out and pointing to the card.  If you paid somebody to punk everything the draft has become, couldn’t have done it better.  

That guy was great.  NFL network was so boring.  ESPN is at least somewhat entertaining but overall talk football only, show highlights. I dont care about the freak show and not fan of the player interviews. 

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

All I can say is I'm SO PLEASED that it was on 3 networks.  I understand that next year's Pro Bowl will be covered live by 5 or 6 networks.

I can't wait to see the Food Networks Pro Bowl Baking Challenge, where bakers have to bake a complete dessert between each score.  

TV ratings for the draft coverage…

When analyzing from a television perspective, it was an opening round that hardcore NFL fans should have loved. Casual fans? A much tougher sell. That showed in the viewership numbers for the first round. Here’s a chart showing you the three-year viewership figures for the opening night of the Draft.

2022: 10.03 million viewers. (The breakdown was ESPN with 4.446 million; ABC with 3.803 million; and NFLN with 1.782 million.)
2021: 12.5 million viewers.
2020: 15.3 million viewers.

When I talked to Markman and Yook last week, they both suggested the NFL Draft might have become viewership-decline-proof, even with the absence of quarterbacks, but I think this year’s first-round numbers confirmed that’s not the case. The bigger issue might have been all the teams that did not make a first-round pick on Thursday. That likely depressed viewership in some cities.

If you have the Athletic, here is the article that the above excerpt is from…

https://theathletic.com/3279096/2022/05/02/2022-nfl-draft-broadcasts/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by BTB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.