Lack of interest in former Bills starters in FA?

JohnNord

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

The Hughes slander in this thread is salacious and unwarranted. Has been top 10 in the league in QB pressures for years. Doesn’t get big sack numbers and may not be one of the best EDGEs in the league, but the dude can still play. He’s certainly better than AJ Epenesa and Boogie Basham. 

Last year, Hughes was better than Epenesa and Basham, but McBeane are looking ahead.  In two years, they figure/hope, either Epenesa or Basham or both will have figured out how to play, and will be strong contributors.  At that point, Hughes will definitely be unproductive.  

Jerry is a great guy on the team but so were Kyle Williams and Lorax others who aged out.  The team's culture is established and must be maintained.  These players all know there's a clock ticking for them, and keeping older vets around when the new guys are ready to take over will hurt the culture more than saying goodbye will. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I'd like to add Hughes to the coaching staff and my understanding with Beasly is that he is taking time off for some family issues. 

why add Hughes to coaching staff?

28 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

AJ Klein back, on a 1 year lower contract would be a good thing.

His agent will have to talk him down......

He’s a good player for what his role is.  Most likely can get bigger bucks elsewhere, but would it be that much more to leave a team like the Bills if he could stay?  Have two players back this year after getting the bucks wishing they never left.  

Beane has been pretty darn good at knowing when to let guys go…

Lawson 

Jordan Phillips 

Brown 

Hauschka 

I imagine most of the above names will be added to this list shortly 

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This off-season the Bills parted ways with 5 players who started the majority of the season:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

All of these players are currently FA’s that haven’t been connected to many teams.  I know Sanders has talked about retirement but hasn’t made anything official.  I also read that Seattle took a look at Addision among a group of other DE’s.  Outside of that it’s been pretty quiet with this group.

Do you think the lack of interest in an indictment of where they are in their careers?   Or are they getting lowballed and are l waiting on better money?

I was surprised that Hughes, Williams, and Beasley have been available this late in FA/off-season 

these are veterans

It’s not the teams but the players.

thry want to see how the draft plays out.

if team X uses a 1st or 2nd on a position they are likely wanting them to play. This rookie will get plays over a UZfA vet signed.  The vet doesn’t want this situation.

team X dies not want to invest in UFA if they use a 1st or2nd on a pkayer

its a wait till after the draft before these players get jobs

early UFA signings affect draft needs because these signings you expect to play so you don’t use too 100 picks here 

There are so many potential reasons each guy hasn’t signed. I think we could see some of these guys sign after the draft. Both teams and the players themselves may be waiting to see how the draft shakes out.

Or maybe some of those players don’t want to have to go through all the offseason stuff and are waiting until training camps roll around, or are being selective about where they sign (location, weather, chance at playoffs, etc).

Or some of them might have a hard time accepting that they’re not being offered what they think they’re worth.

I could see someone like Hughes possibly still hoping the Bills may bring him back.

Personally, I’d still like him back on a cheap deal (like around the vet minimum).

This off-season the Bills parted ways with 5 players who started the majority of the season:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

All of these players are currently FA’s that haven’t been connected to many teams.  I know Sanders has talked about retirement but hasn’t made anything official.  I also read that Seattle took a look at Addision among a group of other DE’s.  Outside of that it’s been pretty quiet with this group.

Do you think the lack of interest in an indictment of where they are in their careers?   Or are they getting lowballed and are l waiting on better money?

I was surprised that Hughes, Williams, and Beasley have been available this late in FA/off-season 

You do realize these players are elderly?

The Bills have quietly shed people who caused problems.  Beasley was a very good player but his covid stance and his public comments, plus his declining YAC, helped get him out the door.  Wallace, 13 seconds -- the Bills must have figured it was worth it to send a message to all the players that critical, stupid mistakes don't fit the culture.  Heath Farwell, 13 seconds -- the Bills were one squib KO from a Lombardi, at least that's now it looks to us.  Star -- too many absences during the season.  

There's a message here to all the players.  Sure this is a happy family, but if you want to stay here, be smart.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

No. Decline in play and old.  I think Hughes and Sanders could retire.  If they play I expect they could return. 

24 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Beane has been pretty darn good at knowing when to let guys go…

Lawson 

Jordan Phillips 

Brown 

Hauschka 

I imagine most of the above names will be added to this list shortly 

Ummm, so about letting Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson go....they're back. 

• Haha (+1) 4

There are several factors at play here. 

• From the teams' perspective:  the premier free agents have been signed.  As to the remaining guys, teams need to wait and see how their draft shakes out before they know exactly what their needs are at certain positions. 

• From the players' perspective:  These guys may have had a few offers, but they were not as high as they would like, or with the type of team they prefer.  They're going to wait out the market to see if they can get better deals or sign with a more desirable team.
    • Money:  Maybe bad team like the Falcons or Jests offer $5M, while the Bills are only offering $2M, so they follow the money and sign with the lesser team.
    • Playing time/starting spot:  Maybe they wait for a team to have an injury to a starter at their position, so they know they can get a lot of playing time with that team.  It may also give them more leverage on the salary if the team is desperate, and if the deal contains incentives, playing time is beneficial to achieving those incentives and thus earning more money.
    • Ring:  Maybe their market value is the same across the board, so they sign with a contender to chase a ring (such as re-signing with Bills, signing with a team like the 49ers, Chiefs, Packers, etc.).

Regardless of the factor, I would like to see a couple of these guys back with the Bills in secondary roles at reasaonble salaries.  If they can score one more big payday somewhere else, all the power to them.  To clarify, I don't expect Darryl Williams to be playing the Bills' defensive secondary.  I mean that he would be a backup or complimentary player, not a starter or key player.  🙂

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

Isn’t Star still out there? He started some games didn’t he?

Daryl Williams is the only one I'm surprised doesn't have a job yet.  There isn't enough OL talent in the league to go around and he's at least a good depth guy.  Beasley will be on a team at some point before the season starts, the other 3 are likely done or will only get tiny contracts as mid-season injury replacements.

Edited by BuffBillsForLife

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

Sanders said he might play, he might not, he's not able to reach his own standard on his knee right now so he's waiting to see.

"Where they are in their careers" and "lowballed/waiting on better money" are probably connected. 

All these are probably guys a team would be happy to bring on board a 1 year, vet minimum sort of deal.

All these guys who last year were earning more than $4M a year of new cash, coming off multi year deals, and they probably want the same.

The hope at this point is some team will not get what they want/need in the draft and will decide to make them an offer.

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This off-season the Bills parted ways with 6 players who started the majority of the season:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

Star Lotulelei (Cut)

AJ Klein (Cut)

Doesn't surprise me much because they all are a little older.  Most will probably catch on after the draft