Lack of interest in former Bills starters in FA?

JohnNord

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

True…. Yet these were the players the Bills relied on last season

Yeah I get that line of thinking.  But doesn’t it seem like a lot of coveted talent is signed before May though?  

Then again players like Jarvis Landry, Tyrone Mathieu, and Joe Haden are still out there so maybe it’s a trend this year with highly paid bets.  

Don't get me wrong - these guys are certainly past their prime. If they don't understand that their value is far less than what they've made the past few seasons then they are delusional. If I'm them I'm looking at this coming season as a last hurrah though. If it's gonna be my last year I want to go somewhere I'll actually play.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Don't get me wrong - these guys are certainly past their prime. If they don't understand that their value is far less than what they've made the past few seasons then they are delusional. If I'm them I'm looking at this coming season as a last hurrah though. If it's gonna be my last year I want to go somewhere I'll actually play.

I'd be fine with being paid $3M/yr to ride the pine, work out, and hang out with some friends. Might even try to milk that as long as possible if it keeps a 7-figure paycheck rolling in.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This off-season the Bills parted ways with 5 players who started the majority of the season:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

All of these players are currently FA’s that haven’t been connected to many teams.  I know Sanders has talked about retirement but hasn’t made anything official.  I also read that Seattle took a look at Addision among a group of other DE’s.  Outside of that it’s been pretty quiet with this group.

Do you think the lack of interest in an indictment of where they are in their careers?   Or are they getting lowballed and are l waiting on better money?

I was surprised that Hughes, Williams, and Beasley have been available this late in FA/off-season 

There’s your answer.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

All of these players are currently FA’s that haven’t been connected to many teams.  I know Sanders has talked about retirement but hasn’t made anything official.  I also read that Seattle took a look at Addision among a group of other DE’s.  Outside of that it’s been pretty quiet with this group.

Do you think the lack of interest in an indictment of where they are in their careers?   Or are they getting lowballed and are l waiting on better money?

I was surprised that Hughes, Williams, and Beasley have been available this late in FA/off-season 

Let's add to this list Levi Wallace, who only got $4M/year (?).

Maybe this says a little about where they are in their careers, but it may say more about us (the fans) perhaps overvaluing them a little.  Obviously, Beane did not think they were worth a big contract and the fact that they did not get scooped up confirms that he is right.

Hopefully, this means that there will be noticeable improvements this year in the positions where they have been replaced.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be fine with being paid $3M/yr to ride the pine, work out, and hang out with some friends. Might even try to milk that as long as possible if it keeps a 7-figure paycheck rolling in.

These dudes are competitors. They don't want to ride the pine. They want to play.

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

He, Sanders, seems to be setting himself up for a TV gig. 

Sanders was on NFL network a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty obvious that he would be a good TV talking head.  I was impressed with how articulate he was. he has a SB ring.  I think he could become a Nate Burleson type.

• Agree 2

The Jerry Hughes thing perplexes me. How can he go from our best rated pass rusher, from leading the DE's in snaps to... should just retire in an off season. I get that he may want more than what he's worth, or that he does not have the step that he used to have, but to go from our best, most consistent, and highest graded to not even worth an offer? I know we're not dumping Boogie or AJ yet, but really, who on here would rather have any of those guys over Jerry. Yes, even at this stage in his career. I was, and am still optimistic we can bring him back in a more limited role for passing situations. I cant imagine Jerry is angling for a million or two more when he's soo close to prize. He's made plenty, we could still use him, and he's been a fan favorite. 🤞

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

Lot's of fans clamoring to bring back Hughes, but his market has been cold for a reason.

Lots of fans clamoring that they actually a clue of what’s going on, but they’re sitting on the couch for a reason

Of this group, the only players who seem to have a realistic chance of catching on with 1 year prove it type deals after the draft are Beasley and Williams.  Neither are in line for what the Bills were paying them or for multi year contracts in my opinion.  The others are clearly played out, and would be totally desperation moves if some team finds themselves in trouble due to injury late in training camp.  

57 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This off-season the Bills parted ways with 5 players who started the majority of the season:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

If you look at the remaining free agents around the NFL (not just from the Bills), most are former big names who are now 30+ with declining skills and on the backend of their careers. 

Personally, I think most of these types are in denial of their diminishing physical talent, and reluctant to accept their current market value.  How would you feel making $7-8 million per year on your previous contract, and now teams are offering $2-3?  This is a young man's game, and it's hard for competitive athletes to accept that.

Others have already "cashed-in" and made their money, so they are more willing to be patient.  There is no reason to jump at the deal from the Jets or Jaguars, when you could wait until after the draft and possibly catch-on with a Super Bowl contender.

With the exception of Sanders - who I think is retiring - all of these guys will be on a roster by the start of the season.

32 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Of this group, the only players who seem to have a realistic chance of catching on with 1 year prove it type deals after the draft are Beasley and Williams.  Neither are in line for what the Bills were paying them or for multi year contracts in my opinion.  The others are clearly played out, and would be totally desperation moves if some team finds themselves in trouble due to injury late in training camp.  

Oh, I think they'll all catch on with various teams, but they will have to sign much smaller contracts than they are used to.

Hughes is great at getting pressure & used to be consistently talked about in articles regarding hits, hurries, knockdowns, etc. 

Problem is finishing & getting those sacks, now combined with his age. 

He hasn't had strong sack numbers since 2014 (when paired with another strong pass rusher), with his highest total being 7 sacks in 2018 (just 2 last year).

Granted, Von Miller is the same age as Huges, hasn't had double digit sacks since 2018 (5 last year) & we paid him a massive amount, but Hughes doesn't have the post season cred Miller has built up. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Jerry Hughes (UFA)

Mario Addison (UFA)

Cole Beasley (Cut)

Daryl Williams (Cut)

Emmanuel Sanders (UFA)

They are all guys with some age in NFL terms.  I think Hughes, Addison and Beasley will be picked up by some teams after the draft but before final rosters are set.  They will likely need to come down in $$ to get it done. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

With the addition of Miller, I just don’t think there is a spot for Jerry unless he wants to compete with Shaq Lawson for the final DE 

Not sure Shaq makes the roster.  imho

• Agree 1