Is there any chance Beane signs a veteran Free Agent Corner before the draft?

intimidatortj

4 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I think he is waiting till cuts to bring a vet in... and if they dont draft a CB in round 2 itcwould not surprise me if they signed Rhodes or Haden after the draft just as insurance and competition 

For some sneaky reason I think there's a gentleman's deal with Haden that will happen after the draft/cuts

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

Vets are holding out for more money, they will get signed for whatever is left after the draft in the few locations that didn't pick up rookies to fill those spots. I still think there is a chance we trade for Bradberry during the draft, but not at his full salary.

Of course there’s a chance!  Right now, Beane is going to see if they can handle it in this draft. But you never know how the draft is going to go….They might not meet their CB needs and they know they can sign a vet there if things fall through….

Having said that, I think it is a tiny chance. I think CB is very deep this draft and they are pretty much certain that they will fill the tank at corner with better prospects than Wallace. Then, of course, we have to coach them way up starting shortly after the draft.

Positions to hit: CBs, WR, RB, OG, DT, LB and P….

I’d love three CBs that can play outside but I doubt I get my wish.

Call me crazy but my draft crush for the Bills is Jordan Davis.

And my wouldn’t surprise me at one pick is Ojabo….

44 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

Doesn't appear so.

Despite everyone insisting that Beane would sign a vet Free Agent before the draft.

It is slightly surprising.

The available vets are probably wating/watching how the draft goes.    If the Bills draft a CB in round 1, I can see a FA vet saying "@$!*" and having more intrerest in teams with legit starting opportunities.      Things should heat up again next week after every team know what their roster holes are.

37 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I think he is waiting till cuts to bring a vet in... and if they dont draft a CB in round 2 itcwould not surprise me if they signed Rhodes or Haden after the draft just as insurance and competition 

That makes some sense.  It may be that the contract cost will drop enough to make it worth the wait. Maybe a one year prove it deal is in the cards.

1 hour ago, intimidatortj said:

Doesn't appear so.

Despite everyone insisting that Beane would sign a vet Free Agent before the draft.

It's different this year because there are five to seven very good CBs out there in free agency, slow-marinating in the oven of temporary unemployment.

So many that there's no rush whatsoever to sign one. So many that their salaries go down just a bit every day they aren't signed. So many that even if one or two are suddenly taken there will still be enough out there that there's no rush.

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's different this year because there are five to seven very good CBs out there in free agency, slow-marinating in the oven of temporary unemployment.

So many that there's no rush whatsoever to sign one. So many that their salaries go down just a bit every day they aren't signed. So many that even if one or two are suddenly taken there will still be enough out there that there's no rush.

“Slow marinating in the oven of unemployment “…pretty good. Go Bills. 

• Agree 1

Well there's a good chance that our 1st round pick will be a CB or OL, but I agree that he'll want to sign a capable vet sooner rather than later. The cupboard is bare if Trae isn't ready and I don't want him to be rushed and risk a setback. 2 studs at outside CB with an improved rush would make this D a LOT better. They play great against bad QB's, but that won't help us in the playoffs -- especially in the AFC. Now if they'd only bring back the bump and run.

3 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

Doesn't appear so.

No need to when there’s a bunch of them still out there.  See how the draft falls then they can look at the free agents 

4 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

Doesn't appear so.

I really thought he would have by now.  Beane always surprises us so you never know.

It may be a smart move to wait for the draft to fill the cb position.   We have alot of cap space tied up in our secondary.  Having a high quality starter on a rookie contract for five years could help ease our cap situation.

I can't wait for the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I really thought he would have by now.  Beane always surprises us so you never know.

It may be a smart move to wait for the draft to fill the cb position.   We have alot of cap space tied up in our secondary.  Having a high quality starter on a rookie contract for five years could help ease our cap situation.

Exactly this. I feel this was always the plan and his not addressing the CB position in any way confirms it in my mind.

The vets that are left over are not the type you should feel comfortable rolling with by themselves. They're all 30 or older, injury prone, haven't started a full season in some time, and/or have declined in play.

They're the type you rotate in and that provide depth. I think we'll sign someone when guys get desperate before camp. But it will be in conjunction with someone we draft in Round 1 or Round 2.

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

He said it himself, he wants cap relief with filling out the roster with rookie contracts.  We just don’t have the bucks for a FA at this time,

Beane prioritized DE in the draft last year after Mahomes dropped back, completed a crossword puzzle, did his taxes, and then threw for over 300 yards in the AFC Championship game.  A few months ago he watched Chiefs WR's have massive YAC in the divisional game.  Not re-signing Levi Wallace tells me they want to get faster and more athletic at the CB position.  I think we draft a corner and safety the first two rounds.  Just not sure about the order.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.