Can we talk about Tremaine Edmunds?

Yantha

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Good point.  This is why, despite meh results, Beane has been obsessive in addressing DL.   His priorities are absolutely in the right place.  

You can have a great secondary, which we have.. doesn't matter much against elite offenses if the DL can't finish.  

You can have good pass defense linebackers, which we have... doesn't matter much against elite offenses if the DL can't finish. 

The 2nd and 3rd level are great to have, and absolutely can be the difference in some games.. but at the end of the day, the game is decided by QB's and in the trenches.  

I expect our LB's and Secondary to look absolutely filthy this year, because this DL has elite potential.  The DT rotation, in both talent and depth, is one of the best in the NFL and if any of the young pass rushers make a jump... watch out.  

At the expense of other positions like WR and offensive line. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

At the expense of other positions like WR and offensive line. 

I wonder where the Bills rank on interior OL cap spending for 2022.

Again with the WR talk. Why would they draft a WR2 when they already have him? 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I don’t think this thread has near enough Tremaine Edmunds content, how’s bout stepping up your game people, 

Did anyone mention that he is still young, or that his splash play percentage isn’t what it could be…, if so isn’t this thread over?

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I don’t think this thread has near enough Tremaine Edmunds content, how’s bout stepping up your game people, 

Did anyone mention that he is still young, or that his splash play percentage isn’t what it could be…, if so isn’t this thread over?

Go Bills!!!

Splash plays have definitely been covered.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Locked on Bills (with Joe Marino) podcast tomorrow is on the topic of Tremaine Edmunds.

I'm guessing it will be similar to the Levi Wallace episode this time last year where he tries to provide a balanced view (backed up by stats etc.) of a player that divides opinion among Bills fans in the hope of highlighting how important/effective a player he is to the team.

I'd say it will be worth a listen and may (or may not!) spark some interesting conversation on this thread.

30 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

The Locked on Bills (with Joe Marino) podcast tomorrow is on the topic of Tremaine Edmunds.

I'm guessing it will be similar to the Levi Wallace episode this time last year where he tries to provide a balanced view (backed up by stats etc.) of a player that divides opinion among Bills fans in the hope of highlighting how important/effective a player he is to the team.

I'd say it will be worth a listen and may (or may not!) spark some interesting conversation on this thread.

Already available on YouTube. 

joe is always worth a listen

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The OL had injuries and Covid issues most the year. Once healthy and with Bates the OL improved a great deal. 

Saffold is an upgrade, end of story. 

On defense they rotate 7-8. They lost 2 DTs as well. They replaced them. 

They believe Gabriel Davis is ready to get 100+ targets. Sanders and Davis combined for 135 targets. Davis could easily be a 120 target WR next year. That’s where we’re heading. I think we’re likely to see a split of the remaining targets between Crowder, Knox, McKenzie, Shakir, RBs, and others.

When I say you don’t believe in Davis that’s what I mean. They think Davis is about to have a huge season. 

They didn’t need to spend on a WR because they feel they have the guy already. 

Let me add that the games you mentioned, Davis didn’t play much. When he did he was used as a blocker a lot. Sanders played over Davis because of seniority, not talent. The Jacksonville game Davis played 19 snaps, mostly to block. Sanders played almost every snap. Davis was frustrated with his usage last year according to Allen.

Correction:   The OL improved only after and only when Allen was being used heavily as a runner.    After the home loss to NE the Bills went into desperation mode and Allen rushed 12 times against Tampa, 15 against Atlanta and 12 @ NE.    After the turf toe injury against Tampa the Bills tried to keep him in the pocket and the result was 4 sacks.   So it was back to using him like a RB the next week.   But if you are OK with rushing Allen 200 times during the regular season then yeah that OL would have been fine.  

Saffold missed 5 games worth of snaps because of a chronic shoulder injury in 2021........driving fans(and probably management) crazy with his in-out act.  Daryl Williams played every snap of the season.   Their PFF grades were about the same when they played.   But Williams also played some of his snaps at the more difficult and valuable RT position,   so he provides more versatility and is younger.    Saffold was just cheaper and familiar with Kromer.   That's the end of the story you are talking about........not that he was an upgrade.

I EXPECT Gabe Davis to put up 1200 yards receiving.   He probably has to.   He's been handed sole possession of a spot in the lineup that has produced those kind of numbers. 

There just isn't ANY depth.

Saying I don't believe in Davis is like saying the Bills don't believe in Ed Oliver because they paid starting money to Jordan Phillips.   Oliver should be playing AT LEAST 2/3 of the snaps.    

As for your perception of why Davis didn't play..........as Bills employee and shill Sal Capaccio said many times,   Gabe Davis wasn't getting more PT because he had a nagging foot injury.    He also finished the 2020 season diminished by injury.    So the question is whether it's safe to assume he can perform for 20 games without being diminished for a significant portion of a season.    Because there is no proven backup or high ceiling prospect waiting in the wings on the perimeter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Your crusade has become seriously boring.

It’s literally the only thing he ever writes about.  Hours of his life spent typing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correction:   The OL improved only after and only when Allen was being used heavily as a runner.    After the home loss to NE the Bills went into desperation mode and Allen rushed 12 times against Tampa, 15 against Atlanta and 12 @ NE.    After the turf toe injury against Tampa the Bills tried to keep him in the pocket and the result was 4 sacks.   So it was back to using him like a RB the next week.   But if you are OK with rushing Allen 200 times during the regular season then yeah that OL would have been fine.  

Saffold missed 5 games worth of snaps because of a chronic shoulder injury in 2021........driving fans(and probably management) crazy with his in-out act.  Daryl Williams played every snap of the season.   Their PFF grades were about the same when they played.   But Williams also played some of his snaps at the more difficult and valuable RT position,   so he provides more versatility and is younger.    Saffold was just cheaper and familiar with Kromer.   That's the end of the story you are talking about........not that he was an upgrade.

I EXPECT Gabe Davis to put up 1200 yards receiving.   He probably has to.   He's been handed sole possession of a spot in the lineup that has produced those kind of numbers. 

Saying I don't believe in Davis is like saying the Bills don't believe in Ed Oliver because they paid starting money to Jordan Phillips.   Oliver should be playing AT LEAST 2/3 of the snaps.    

As for your perception of why Davis didn't play..........as Bills employee and shill Sal Capaccio said many times,   Gabe Davis wasn't getting more PT because he had a nagging foot injury.    He also finished the 2020 season diminished by injury.    So the question is whether it's safe to assume he can perform for 20 games without being diminished for a significant portion of a season.    Because there is no proven backup or high ceiling prospect waiting in the wings on the perimeter.

How many teams have good depth on the OL.  Van roten started 50 games over the last 4 seasons.  Quessenberry has 23 starts over the last 2, 17 last season.  They aren’t great players, but they are the type of players teams look to add as depth.  Doyle and ford were draft picks that will compete with the FA depth we signed.  

Sure, it would be nice if we had drafted some depth, but I disagree with your statement that we don’t have ANY depth.  

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How many teams have good depth on the OL.  Van roten started 50 games over the last 4 seasons.  Quessenberry has 23 starts over the last 2, 17 last season.  They aren’t great players, but they are the type of players teams look to add as depth.  Doyle and ford were draft picks that will compete with the FA depth we signed.  

Sure, it would be nice if we had drafted some depth, but I disagree with your statement that we don’t have ANY depth.  

I thought it was funny he brought up pff grades. Quessenberry had a much higher grade than brown. Despite leading the league in sacks along tackles. 

Also I don’t think Saffold is cheaper than Williams. Williams is gonna get less and if they wanted him I think they would have restructured him. I thought that would happen going into FA. So I’ve been in Saffold is an upgrade camp.  I also find Williams underwhelming at guard and good at RT. So when we give Williams pff grades it would be his overall grade I think. I wonder which grade (tackle or guard) was higher. He took an appreciable number of snaps at RT

Edited by YattaOkasan

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder where the Bills rank on interior OL cap spending for 2022.

Again with the WR talk. Why would they draft a WR2 when they already have him? 

Agree we have two great starting WR1 & WR2 I’m a little concerned about the depth behind them 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s literally the only thing he ever writes about.  Hours of his life spent typing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Hours is a stretch…. It’s  just usually where I end my point…. Read up thread and I wrote plenty about Edmunds. 

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Your crusade has become seriously boring.

And your seriously mad. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

When Bado gets on a roll,.., lol, there’s no stopping him…,

Go  Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s so funny. All you need to know about Bills fans on this forum is to read this thread in which two fans have spent countless time and effort trying to convince us all that the team picked to win the Super Bowl is a paper tiger in danger of imploding before our eyes.

We’re doomed!

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Re: Josh Allens carries in the final games, Ill give you TB, but this is what happens when you have selective memory OR just look at the final stat line (which I know you watch the games, so ill go with former).

Let's select one of the games you mentioned, at NE and 12 rushes:

1. 2 of those "rushes" were scrambles/not designed runs

2. 2 of the rushes were designed, but 3rd/4th and 1, qb sneaks.  Back to back in the 4th quarter on final "drive"

3. 2 were "kneel downs", which do count into the 12....

So that's technically 6 carries that someone could argue might be excessive.  Because QB sneaks (Short yardage), scrambles. and kneel downs should never be used to advance your point.  

Bottom line, the OL played well/above average down the stretch/started to click, we started to get more balance running with Motor and we had historic point output in our 2 playoff games.  Offense was not an issue. 

Our defense had inflated stats to be ranked #1, playing against several subpar Qbs and basically game (home NE) that the opponent decided to play a Peewee football offensive startegy...our dline was nowhere near physical or capable enough to generate "splash plays" during the season.  Every team has a "lapse" game or 2, ours were Pitt and Jacksonville....but the 1st NE loss, Ten loss, Indy loss, and Chiefs playoff loss all proved we needed major upgrades up front. 

Funny that's exactly what Beane and front office decided to address.  Coupled with lack of speed in our secondary, which even when Tre played, teams picked on Levi.

Gabe will be just fine, we don't need him to produce 1,200 yards.  We need him, Knox, Crowder, Cook, Shakir, McKenzie (likely elevated role) etc...this is one of the most versatile offense groups we've had in a long time..by no means do other teams have 3 stud outside WRs, let alone 2 (which we have).  Injuries are unpredictable, but I trust Beane and staff have a plan ready if needed...new offensive playcaller likely going to mean expect a more balanced attack.

Couple posters, continuing to push the same convo from the OTA thread here (ie: lack of OL depth, concerns about our outside WR depth, etc).  Back to point on Tremaine...

I'm a big supporter, and think/hope an improved DL is going to make a world of difference.  Not just because of improved talent, but maybe it lets him play more "loose", and trust his instincts more.  Im fully aware that he plays a bit "robotic" at times, which is frustrating because he has the talent/movement skills, to be a more disruptive force...hoping this is the year the light flips, but he's still a solid/tier 2 MLB (#8-10 best), we could certainly do worse.  But agree with many who are weighing the potential future cost, I'd put him behind Davis, Knox, and Ed for certain in terms of prioritizing...potential is there though, so I'm glad we can hopefully see him make it happen this year.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Hours is a stretch…. It’s  just usually where I end my point…. Read up thread and I wrote plenty about Edmunds. 

And your seriously mad. 

I’d rather gouge my eyes out and fill the holes with lime juice.  Thanks though 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

How many teams have good depth on the OL.

I disagree with your statement that we don’t have ANY depth.  

How many teams gave up 125 combined pressures and sacks last year?

And show me where I made that statement.    It's one thing to imagine I said something like that........but to put an emphasis on "ANY" when it didn't happen.........maybe double check the posts before you start straw-manning.

What I said was that the Bills addressed their backup situations by adding guys whose weaker aspect.........pass blocking.........was the biggest problem on the OL........and the team for that matter.    Quessenberry lead the NFL in sacks allowed by a tackle.    If you look at the guys they added(from Saffold to all the backups),  you'd think they were planning to run the hell out of the ball because these dudes were available cheap because they get their QB's hit too much.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How many teams gave up 125 combined pressures and sacks last year?

And show me where I made that statement.    It's one thing to imagine I said something like that........but to put an emphasis on "ANY" when it didn't happen.........maybe double check the posts before you start straw-manning.

What I said was that the Bills addressed their backup situations by adding guys whose weaker aspect.........pass blocking.........was the biggest problem on the OL........and the team for that matter.    Quessenberry lead the NFL in sacks allowed by a tackle.    If you look at the guys they added(from Saffold to all the backups),  you'd think they were planning to run the hell out of the ball because these dudes were available cheap because they get their QB's hit too much.

My bad, I should’ve read more carefully but I tend to skim the self dubbed “villain” posts because I’ve already know what is going to be written as I’ve already read it ad nauseam.  

outside WR depth sucks.  You are correct.  You were correct the first 150 times you’ve posted it too.  

regarding the OL conversation……you only mention the starters.  No mention of the depth additions.   You mention pff grades…. How about the pff grades of our new BACKUP IOL (quessenberry and Van Roten) in relation to daryl Williams?  

Care to discuss Saffold, van roten + quessenberry vs Daryl Williams, Doyle and Ford?  You mention the WR depth, how about the depth of the OL…..you know, the unit that cost us 3 games is season because we didn’t have proper depth?  

which nfl contenders do have great depth along the OL in the nfl today?  Any?

• SDS locked this topic