Can we talk about Tremaine Edmunds?

Yantha

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It literally is not.

The Bills are a heavy zone defense team...........individual CB play is much less of a factor than if they had been a primarily man coverage defense.

Like I said.........there were other issues on defense that undermined the CB play........and as evidenced the year prior.........without pass rush Tre White was abused and looked ridiculous against Tyreek Hill.............that 2020 defense played worse in the AFCCG loss than the one in the 2021 divisional game did.     The fatigue unraveled them in 2021..........they were just helpless to stop Mahomes for most of the game in 2020.

If Tremaine Edmunds wasn't a puppet on string in coverage against Mahomes THAT would have made a difference in that game.    As evidenced by the impact that Logan Wilson had in coverage the next week for the Bengals.   Night and day difference in instincts and execution between Wilson and Edmunds in those games.

Definitely agree with you on Wilson vs Edmunds. Where I took exception is with your Tre comment. Perhaps, I'm splitting hairs here? Now, I will say there's no way to say and prove the Bills would have won if a healthy Tre was available. Maybe that's your point? However, to say or imply that the Bills defense wouldn't have been better is undeniably incorrect. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So they can use another 1st round pick on a defensive player.😈

I'm already mentally preparing myself for this.  

Part of me wants to extend Edmunds simply so we can draft someone for Josh in RD1.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Definitely agree with you on Wilson vs Edmunds. Where I took exception is with your Tre comment. Perhaps, I'm splitting hairs here? Now, I will say there's no way to say and prove the Bills would have won if a healthy Tre was available. Maybe that's your point? However, to say or imply that the Bills defense wouldn't have been better is undeniably incorrect. 

There’s a stat showing the top 3 CBs with most snaps to not allow a TD last year. Tre White and Dane Jackson were in the top 3.

Im just saying maybe the defensive scheme and Poyer/Hyde have played a role in Whites success. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s a stat showing the top 3 CBs with most snaps to not allow a TD last year. Tre White and Dane Jackson were in the top 3.

Im just saying maybe the defensive scheme and Poyer/Hyde have played a role in Whites success. 

Of course, Poyer and Hyde positively effect the play of the cornerbacks. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Oy vey.  I'll step out of this discussion.  I didn't realize the Bills had a mediocre player at MLB who doesn't impact games and can be replaced by a 3rd or 4th rounder easily with no drop-off.

I'll see myself out.

There may be a drop off.  Many of us are conceding that possibility if Edmunds, or Poyer while we're at it, walk after the season. 

Does the drop off hinder our ability to win a Super Bowl?  No. 

QB - Josh Allen

WR - Diggs/Davis

TE - Knox

OL - Dawkins

DL - Miller/Oliver/Rousseau

CB - White

Those guys are all foundational pieces towards winning Super Bowls.  Everyone else is a luxury.  Edmunds, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Singletary, Johnson, Jones, Cook etc.. all good to great players... all luxuries.

If any of those guys have elite years, it helps... it doesn't mean we are winning a Super Bowl. 

If guys on the OL/DL step up, I don't see who can beat us.  

QB, Skill Positions and the Trenches.  Focus there.  Then.. if we can afford it.. if it makes sense.. pay guys like Poyer and Edmunds.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

There may be a drop off.  Many of us are conceding that possibility if Edmunds, or Poyer while we're at it, walk after the season. 

Does the drop off hinder our ability to win a Super Bowl?  No. 

QB - Josh Allen

WR - Diggs/Davis

TE - Knox

OL - Dawkins

DL - Miller/Oliver/Rousseau

CB - White

Those guys are all foundational pieces towards winning Super Bowls.  Everyone else is a luxury.  Edmunds, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Singletary, Johnson, Jones, Cook etc.. all good to great players... all luxuries.

If any of those guys have elite years, it helps... it doesn't mean we are winning a Super Bowl. 

If guys on the OL/DL step up, I don't see who can beat us.  

QB, Skill Positions and the Trenches.  Focus there.  Then.. if we can afford it.. if it makes sense.. pay guys like Poyer and Edmunds.  

Thank you for this.  It's the best breakdown and explanation I've read.  I understand your position.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So they can use another 1st round pick on a defensive player.😈

I don't think this regime will ever burn another 1st round pick on a LB unless someone transformative falls in their lap. I can see Tremaine having a decent contract year but I wouldn't hold my breath for too many wow splash plays. Maybe Sean thought he could turn him into Keuckly which was never going to happen. I would let him walk and put all that money toward Poyer, Oliver and Knox. Bernard & Dodson can hold down the fort.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

At the expense of other positions like WR and offensive line. 

I wonder where the Bills rank on interior OL cap spending for 2022.

Again with the WR talk. Why would they draft a WR2 when they already have him? 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I don’t think this thread has near enough Tremaine Edmunds content, how’s bout stepping up your game people, 

Did anyone mention that he is still young, or that his splash play percentage isn’t what it could be…, if so isn’t this thread over?

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I don’t think this thread has near enough Tremaine Edmunds content, how’s bout stepping up your game people, 

Did anyone mention that he is still young, or that his splash play percentage isn’t what it could be…, if so isn’t this thread over?

Go Bills!!!

Splash plays have definitely been covered.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Locked on Bills (with Joe Marino) podcast tomorrow is on the topic of Tremaine Edmunds.

I'm guessing it will be similar to the Levi Wallace episode this time last year where he tries to provide a balanced view (backed up by stats etc.) of a player that divides opinion among Bills fans in the hope of highlighting how important/effective a player he is to the team.

I'd say it will be worth a listen and may (or may not!) spark some interesting conversation on this thread.

30 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

The Locked on Bills (with Joe Marino) podcast tomorrow is on the topic of Tremaine Edmunds.

I'm guessing it will be similar to the Levi Wallace episode this time last year where he tries to provide a balanced view (backed up by stats etc.) of a player that divides opinion among Bills fans in the hope of highlighting how important/effective a player he is to the team.

I'd say it will be worth a listen and may (or may not!) spark some interesting conversation on this thread.

Already available on YouTube. 

joe is always worth a listen

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The OL had injuries and Covid issues most the year. Once healthy and with Bates the OL improved a great deal. 

Saffold is an upgrade, end of story. 

On defense they rotate 7-8. They lost 2 DTs as well. They replaced them. 

They believe Gabriel Davis is ready to get 100+ targets. Sanders and Davis combined for 135 targets. Davis could easily be a 120 target WR next year. That’s where we’re heading. I think we’re likely to see a split of the remaining targets between Crowder, Knox, McKenzie, Shakir, RBs, and others.

When I say you don’t believe in Davis that’s what I mean. They think Davis is about to have a huge season. 

They didn’t need to spend on a WR because they feel they have the guy already. 

Let me add that the games you mentioned, Davis didn’t play much. When he did he was used as a blocker a lot. Sanders played over Davis because of seniority, not talent. The Jacksonville game Davis played 19 snaps, mostly to block. Sanders played almost every snap. Davis was frustrated with his usage last year according to Allen.

Correction:   The OL improved only after and only when Allen was being used heavily as a runner.    After the home loss to NE the Bills went into desperation mode and Allen rushed 12 times against Tampa, 15 against Atlanta and 12 @ NE.    After the turf toe injury against Tampa the Bills tried to keep him in the pocket and the result was 4 sacks.   So it was back to using him like a RB the next week.   But if you are OK with rushing Allen 200 times during the regular season then yeah that OL would have been fine.  

Saffold missed 5 games worth of snaps because of a chronic shoulder injury in 2021........driving fans(and probably management) crazy with his in-out act.  Daryl Williams played every snap of the season.   Their PFF grades were about the same when they played.   But Williams also played some of his snaps at the more difficult and valuable RT position,   so he provides more versatility and is younger.    Saffold was just cheaper and familiar with Kromer.   That's the end of the story you are talking about........not that he was an upgrade.

I EXPECT Gabe Davis to put up 1200 yards receiving.   He probably has to.   He's been handed sole possession of a spot in the lineup that has produced those kind of numbers. 

There just isn't ANY depth.

Saying I don't believe in Davis is like saying the Bills don't believe in Ed Oliver because they paid starting money to Jordan Phillips.   Oliver should be playing AT LEAST 2/3 of the snaps.    

As for your perception of why Davis didn't play..........as Bills employee and shill Sal Capaccio said many times,   Gabe Davis wasn't getting more PT because he had a nagging foot injury.    He also finished the 2020 season diminished by injury.    So the question is whether it's safe to assume he can perform for 20 games without being diminished for a significant portion of a season.    Because there is no proven backup or high ceiling prospect waiting in the wings on the perimeter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Your crusade has become seriously boring.

It’s literally the only thing he ever writes about.  Hours of his life spent typing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correction:   The OL improved only after and only when Allen was being used heavily as a runner.    After the home loss to NE the Bills went into desperation mode and Allen rushed 12 times against Tampa, 15 against Atlanta and 12 @ NE.    After the turf toe injury against Tampa the Bills tried to keep him in the pocket and the result was 4 sacks.   So it was back to using him like a RB the next week.   But if you are OK with rushing Allen 200 times during the regular season then yeah that OL would have been fine.  

Saffold missed 5 games worth of snaps because of a chronic shoulder injury in 2021........driving fans(and probably management) crazy with his in-out act.  Daryl Williams played every snap of the season.   Their PFF grades were about the same when they played.   But Williams also played some of his snaps at the more difficult and valuable RT position,   so he provides more versatility and is younger.    Saffold was just cheaper and familiar with Kromer.   That's the end of the story you are talking about........not that he was an upgrade.

I EXPECT Gabe Davis to put up 1200 yards receiving.   He probably has to.   He's been handed sole possession of a spot in the lineup that has produced those kind of numbers. 

There just isn't ANY depth.

Saying I don't believe in Davis is like saying the Bills don't believe in Ed Oliver because they paid starting money to Jordan Phillips.   Oliver should be playing AT LEAST 2/3 of the snaps.    

As for your perception of why Davis didn't play..........as Bills employee and shill Sal Capaccio said many times,   Gabe Davis wasn't getting more PT because he had a nagging foot injury.    He also finished the 2020 season diminished by injury.    So the question is whether it's safe to assume he can perform for 20 games without being diminished for a significant portion of a season.    Because there is no proven backup or high ceiling prospect waiting in the wings on the perimeter.

How many teams have good depth on the OL.  Van roten started 50 games over the last 4 seasons.  Quessenberry has 23 starts over the last 2, 17 last season.  They aren’t great players, but they are the type of players teams look to add as depth.  Doyle and ford were draft picks that will compete with the FA depth we signed.  

Sure, it would be nice if we had drafted some depth, but I disagree with your statement that we don’t have ANY depth.  

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How many teams have good depth on the OL.  Van roten started 50 games over the last 4 seasons.  Quessenberry has 23 starts over the last 2, 17 last season.  They aren’t great players, but they are the type of players teams look to add as depth.  Doyle and ford were draft picks that will compete with the FA depth we signed.  

Sure, it would be nice if we had drafted some depth, but I disagree with your statement that we don’t have ANY depth.  

I thought it was funny he brought up pff grades. Quessenberry had a much higher grade than brown. Despite leading the league in sacks along tackles. 

Also I don’t think Saffold is cheaper than Williams. Williams is gonna get less and if they wanted him I think they would have restructured him. I thought that would happen going into FA. So I’ve been in Saffold is an upgrade camp.  I also find Williams underwhelming at guard and good at RT. So when we give Williams pff grades it would be his overall grade I think. I wonder which grade (tackle or guard) was higher. He took an appreciable number of snaps at RT

Edited by YattaOkasan

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder where the Bills rank on interior OL cap spending for 2022.

Again with the WR talk. Why would they draft a WR2 when they already have him? 

Agree we have two great starting WR1 & WR2 I’m a little concerned about the depth behind them 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

When Bado gets on a roll,.., lol, there’s no stopping him…,

Go  Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s so funny. All you need to know about Bills fans on this forum is to read this thread in which two fans have spent countless time and effort trying to convince us all that the team picked to win the Super Bowl is a paper tiger in danger of imploding before our eyes.

We’re doomed!

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1