Can we talk about Tremaine Edmunds?

Yantha

2 hours ago, Yantha said:

Yeah I've been wondering why we haven't.  Time for a respectful chat!  

Personally, I say "he's a Bill", so we have to hope he steps it up and plays to his potential.  But I think that Beane knows best of course, and Edmunds has a value according to the team.  Will he be traded?  Given an ultimatum?  Surely he wants a big paycheque, so he has to EARN that.

I guess the rumors are true... trends really do lag behind north of the border.

I expect this revamped D-Line to prevent guards from getting to the second level, allowing Edmunds some more clean looks at his gaps in the run game. He is already an amazing coverage LB in this system. Buffalo has lacked a true 1 tech at DT and with the failed experiment of Star, Edmunds has under performed against the run. We also run a ton of nickel, meaning Edmunds is asked to cover multiple gaps in the run game. But to sum it up, I say we let Edmunds play out this season and if all goes according to plan he should be in for a big year. We'll decide on next year after we win the SUPER BOWL this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly, two guys we have been overlooking are Tremaine Edmunds and Breece Hall. I feel like we need to debate those guys more, we are clearly slacking. 

I honestly feel like making another Breece Hall thread, it’s an itch I can’t make go away. 

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

He took advantage of Wallace defending the sideline when it didn't matter.  You should spend some time and watch the other 18 games.

I did, he definitely wasn't lighting the world on fire. The KC game was his magnum opus

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Look...  The Bills ranked 20th in run defense, their worst team stat....

The fact that we have not seemed to be even putting much stock into drafting a linebacker early (I know.... cornerback.....) to me was something I was curious about.  There have been some suggestions to draft linebacker, but considering that run defense was arguably one of the bigger weaknesses last season (not just my opinion, just going by team stats), should we not be putting more of an emphasis on stopping the run?

Von Miller will help, and we added some DL FA's.  

Yes, there have been lots of Tremaine discussions... but at the CORE of my post was a draft question.  

The struggles vs the run stemmed from the defensive line more so than the linebackers. I did some breakdowns during the season which highlighted a lot of this. The change of guard on the defensive line this offseason did not happen by accident.

18 minutes ago, ONEandDONE said:

I expect this revamped D-Line to prevent guards from getting to the second level, allowing Edmunds some more clean looks at his gaps in the run game. He is already an amazing coverage LB in this system. Buffalo has lacked a true 1 tech at DT and with the failed experiment of Star, Edmunds has under performed against the run. We also run a ton of nickel, meaning Edmunds is asked to cover multiple gaps in the run game. But to sum it up, I say we let Edmunds play out this season and if all goes according to plan he should be in for a big year. We'll decide on next year after we win the SUPER BOWL this year.

Just wanting to clarify - us running nickel does not make Edmunds a two gapper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

The struggles vs the run stemmed from the defensive line more so than the linebackers. I did some breakdowns during the season which highlighted a lot of this. The change of guard on the defensive line this offseason did not happen by accident.

Good points.  Do you feel we are "done" on DL for this draft, and to what extent will our run defense improve if we don't make a change(s) with linebackers?

Linebacker is a need.  But just how BIG of a need remains to be seen and I am guessing that most would agree that Tremaine is at the center of that discussion.  So?  A few questions from me to you.

What happened to Tremaine?  

Why hasn't he really held up to his first round grade?

Can he rebound?  What are the chances?  Will money motivate him as he finishes up his current contract?

Any insights on what Beane and the Bills brass think about Tremaine and his future in Buffalo?

Could Tremaine be used as trade bait on draft day?  Or before?

This draft is fairly deep in LB talent, even on day 3.  Should we move on or put our faith in Tremaine?

I feel this topic has been beat to death but here's my honest answers on the situation:

What happened to Tremaine?  Nothing really, he's just been a woefully average player that rarely makes any game changing/impact type of plays.

Why hasn't he really held up to his first round grade? For the above reasons, there's not really any difference between him and most run of the mill LB's drafted in the mid rounds. Remember Milano was a 5th round pick and is arguably the better player and showed early in his career unlike Edmunds who apparently still gets a pass by some because of how young he is.

Can he rebound?  What are the chances?  Will money motivate him as he finishes up his current contract? Still think he's not a fit for this scheme/defense and his best chances to reach whatever potential he  may have is on another team, specifically in a 3-4 scheme.

Any insights on what Beane and the Bills brass think about Tremaine and his future in Buffalo? I believe behind closed doors they realize this is his last season in Buffalo assuming he's not traded before or during the 2022 campaign.

Could Tremaine be used as trade bait on draft day?  Or before? Obviously

This draft is fairly deep in LB talent, even on day 3.  Should we move on or put our faith in Tremaine? Definitely move on even if Edmunds has a 'career year' knowing it's a contract season. I wouldn't be surprised if we draft his replacement this year either in the top 3 rounds, at the end of the day you can't sign everyone anyway and LB is one of the easier positions to replace in terms of draft/FA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Good points.  Do you feel we are "done" on DL for this draft, and to what extent will our run defense improve if we don't make a change(s) with linebackers?

No idea. I don't know the players they brought in well enough to give an opinion of them nor do I have any insight into how the coaching staff plans on using any of them. All I can tell you is a lot of the issues we had last year was from guys on the defensive line getting reached or being doubled and overtaken allowing offensive linemen to work up to the second level faster than they should be able to.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Yantha said:

Linebacker is a need.  But just how BIG of a need remains to be seen and I am guessing that most would agree that Tremaine is at the center of that discussion.  So?  A few questions from me to you.

What happened to Tremaine?  

Why hasn't he really held up to his first round grade?

Can he rebound?  What are the chances?  Will money motivate him as he finishes up his current contract?

Any insights on what Beane and the Bills brass think about Tremaine and his future in Buffalo?

Could Tremaine be used as trade bait on draft day?  Or before?

This draft is fairly deep in LB talent, even on day 3.  Should we move on or put our faith in Tremaine?

giphy.gif

The Search Feature is your friend @Yantha.  Use it and respond to an older Edmunds thread and voila, your back on page 1!

Edited by freddyjj

I've been here for 3 weeks maybe and didn't see a dedicated thread.  I'm hearing that there are lots of other threads but they are buried in the later pages.  Sorry I don't go mining back into the past, bringing back STALE threads.

geez....  People...  Try being positive and happy. for a change.

A topic that has been discussed after the season ended and before TC and the draft is not stale. The discussion about Edmunds has been from February and nothing has changed since then. You just want to refresh the discussion, which is fine. Then you should have just bumped one of these threads:

That search took me 2 minutes to do - a lot shorter time than the time you have spent defending this thread. 

• Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guys....  with respect.....  considering some of the snide responses here, I'm guessing that if I bumped an old thread, I'd get equally lambasted for doing so.  If you don't want to discuss T.E., then please just stop posting your responses.  Nothing is forcing you to.

Move along to a discussion you are interested in.  Just a suggestion.