I have a 2nd Bills schedule inside rumor/tip (UPDATE: NOW CONFIRMED!)

Alphadawg7

If the Bills were truly playing the season opener TNF in LA wouldn't that have leaked by now by more official sources?

I'm not saying OP is wrong, but just seems like the NFL would want to start the hype train ASAP.

Personally though I think it would be weird to have the defending SB champs open against a non conference team unless it was a SB rematch which this is not.

21 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the Bills were truly playing the season opener TNF in LA wouldn't that have leaked by now by more official sources?

What makes the Bills different than the rest of the teams on LA's home schedule for anyone to leak the game?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Makes no sense to put a premier matchup in the first game.  Bills vs anyone will get a draw. Rams just won the super bowl and should be a contender until they regress as most super bowl teams do. Chiefs are the chiefs. Broncos got interesting. Jets have appeal to see their roster come out. Miami, too but likely to collapse. Tampa has Brady against father time

What I am getting at: football fans will watch the Texans play Hartford School of the Blind week 1. It's strange to me to make the week 1 a premier matchup.

If I scheduled I would go with Bucs / Rams and put the Broncos somewhere nice against a decent opponent who upgraded with potential. I'd sandbag the big draws like the Bills, Chiefs and Bengals early. Keep them for the week 3 or 4 spotlight when the luster of the season wears off.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Makes no sense to put a premier matchup in the first game.  Bills vs anyone will get a draw. Rams just won the super bowl and should be a contender until they regress as most super bowl teams do. Chiefs are the chiefs. Broncos got interesting. Jets have appeal to see their roster come out. Miami, too but likely to collapse. Tampa has Brady against father time

What I am getting at: football fans will watch the Texans play Hartford School of the Blind week 1. It's strange to me to make the week 1 a premier matchup.

If I scheduled I would go with Bucs / Rams and put the Broncos somewhere nice against a decent opponent who upgraded with potential. I'd sandbag the big draws like the Bills, Chiefs and Bengals early. Keep them for the week 3 or 4 spotlight when the luster of the season wears off.

They always put a premiere matchup in the opener.  I agree with you that they could put Jets/Lions up and get huge ratings but they want a game people get excited about, not just that they’ll watch.  Bucs/Rams is premiere also.

12 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't think the coach whose players are adolescents with disabilities would accept a match up against a professional football team.  I wouldn't watch it either because it would be a bad look for the NFL when the Texans lose.  I won't hear the end of it from my non-football fans.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Good point, that was a big one. I feel like there was one other game, San Fran maybe?, that was discussed.

49ers and Cardinals would be playoff rematches with the Rams. Raiders are another team that would be a solid choice for the opening game.

3 hours ago, eball said:

They always put a premiere matchup in the opener.  I agree with you that they could put Jets/Lions up and get huge ratings but they want a game people get excited about, not just that they’ll watch.  Bucs/Rams is premiere also.

Buc's gamer is in Tampa

You'd think they'd rather not have a divisional game so early between 2 teams that likely will be fighting it out for the division title at least the two teams playing would rather not match up then. 

Game will end about 11:30 eastern time, not sure many folks on east coast would stay up that late to watch unless game is a real thriller.  Really don't see many people outside NFC west fan base caring that much.

Probably the biggest national home draw would be Cowboys.  If they were playing Tampa at home that would be the game.  Bills do have a big national following, but don't think we're in the league of Dallas or Green Bay.  I do think the team with Allen could draw more excitement over the next few years than the Bills of the early 90's did.

Just looking at Rams schedule, they have some of their toughest games on the road other than Bills and Cowboys.  And of the three other NFC divisions winners they play, likely Cowboys is the easiest.  I'm sure they'd rather play either Green Bay or Tampa at home instead.

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think the coach whose players are adolescents with disabilities would accept a match up against a professional football team.  I wouldn't watch it either because it would be a bad look for the NFL when the Texans lose.  I won't hear the end of it from my non-football fans.

And none of the teams' classmates will watch it either!

Edited by SoMAn
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not saying OP is wrong, but just seems like the NFL would want to start the hype train ASAP.

Personally though I think it would be weird to have the defending SB champs open against a non conference team unless it was a SB rematch which this is not.

To your first point, why would BUF @LAR leak before the Cardinals or the 49ers?

I might be in the minority but I absolutely don’t want the opener to be at Rams. Prime time games are fun and all but I prefer Sunday at 1. Thursday is a little different because you aren’t waiting longer for the game but I don’t need 2 prime time games to open the season. Also I don’t want them to start against a the super bowl winners on the road. How often does the home team lose that game? Give me just some bland 1pm game against a team that can have a soft landing and drill. Get the year started off smoothly.

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I might be in the minority but I absolutely don’t want the opener to be at Rams. Prime time games are fun and all but I prefer Sunday at 1. Thursday is a little different because you aren’t waiting longer for the game but I don’t need 2 prime time games to open the season. Also I don’t want them to start against a the super bowl winners on the road. How often does the home team lose that game? Give me just some bland 1pm game against a team that can have a soft landing and drill. Get the year started off smoothly.

I want the first game because we get a few extra days to prep for week 2. As for watching I always prefer Sunday at 1.

18 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

I have a pretty good source on the latter,  and I’ve been told there was a change week 1. The Bills aren’t playing the Rams to open as originally envisioned. The Rams will likely play the Broncos. Nothing on our week 1 opponent. 

Well now we have the confirmed Broncos at Rams on Christmas.

So what is new with the source?

I have no source and do not think the Bills/Rams game will be week 1, but the NFL has quietly reduced the other teams that make sense little by little.  

It could be Bills or Dallas as marquee match-ups.  It could be divisional rivals - SF or Arizona (but without Hopkins not sure Arizona is the draw.  The Raiders is the final team and I do not see them as a huge draw, but being that they used to be the LA Raiders - maybe they can push that narrative.

If I had to guess - I think Raiders for the LA vibe and the fact that it gives the SB champ a fairly easy opponent to get the win.  The Home team wins this game so much - I have to believe that is part of the charm - give a good, but winnable match-up.

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Well now we have the confirmed Broncos at Rams on Christmas.

So what is new with the source?

I have no source and do not think the Bills/Rams game will be week 1, but the NFL has quietly reduced the other teams that make sense little by little.  

It could be Bills or Dallas as marquee match-ups.  It could be divisional rivals - SF or Arizona (but without Hopkins not sure Arizona is the draw.  The Raiders is the final team and I do not see them as a huge draw, but being that they used to be the LA Raiders - maybe they can push that narrative.

If I had to guess - I think Raiders for the LA vibe and the fact that it gives the SB champ a fairly easy opponent to get the win.  The Home team wins this game so much - I have to believe that is part of the charm - give a good, but winnable match-up.

I think Rams vs Cowboys would be most logical for most eyes on tvs but I am hoping it is us

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rams/Broncos just confirmed for Christmas Day. That was the only other rumored matchup for the opener. 

Dallas has been rumored. 

but this bodes well for those that have flights to LA already! 

16 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Thats the NFLs big reveal Thursday.  Last year Dallas vs Tampa wasnt whispered til Wed morning.  Imo the NFL is keeping more people in the dark to make it a bigger deal.  Home openers for all franchise go on sale at 6 pm when the games are announced.  Rest of the schedule is released and are on sale at 8pm.  Doing it to drive traffic and ticket sales.  I saw the LA times is speculating it will be Buffalo.

Imo its 49ers or Bills.  NFC championship game rematch.  Division rivals.  Buffalo is the hot team.  Everyone still remembers and talks about the Chiefs game.  That was the best game of the season last year.  Allen is becoming the face of the league.  Expect to see Allen in primetime and on alot more commercials. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.