I have a 2nd Bills schedule inside rumor/tip (UPDATE: NOW CONFIRMED!)

Alphadawg7

I'm not a fan at all of Bills Thanksgiving games... Noon is a total killer. At least for the night game we could leave after dinner and be home to enjoy. 

Family hates having football on during the holiday, some start ranting about politics and it just becomes impossible to watch the game at all (if they'll even allow it on) 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

So Alpha, since we are basically best friends.  You got extra room in that suite for me and @Gugny?  We only need one seat for the two of us

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have a friend with strong personal connections to high up people at SoFi (which is not far from my house) who said it’s confirmed Rams vs Bills in the Thursday night week 1 season opener.  I was even invited to their suite for that game.  

If you missed my other thread, the other tip I got was my friend in sports marketing at the TV network in Detroit said his Boss told them in the office that the Bills are coming to Detroit for the Noon Thanksgiving game.

I can’t confirm either of these things, I am just sharing what I have now been told about both these games from people I know.  If true, we would have 2 national games already on the schedule. 

Both my friends said their sources said it’s “confirmed”, but obviously take it for what it’s worth…a rumor until confirmed by the NFL.

I would also love to sit in the suite and talk about how terrible Zay Jones is. I'm in @Alphadawg7

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

Hey Alpha, if you don’t mind my asking…

(a) what do you do for a living; and

(b) can I be your friend?

(a) I do a few different things...I have businesses in marketing, media, and also cannabis.  

(b) Yes, but only if you can pass the TSW ultimate tests by answering 3 questions:

1. Bone-in or Boneless?
  2. Blue Cheese or Ranch?
  3. What kind of car do you drive?
Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

I think they get either the Lions or Rams game but not both

Certainly possible.  I know my two friends are authentic when they say they were told it was confirmed from their sources.  But it doesn't mean their sources are correct or that it cant still change before the announcement.  In that interview they said they run new schedules in their software nightly, and things like trades and such can also alter their plans. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Certainly possible.  I know my two friends are authentic when they say they were told it was confirmed from their sources.  But it doesn't mean their sources are correct or that it cant still change before the announcement.  In that interview they said they run new schedules in their software nightly, and things like trades and such can also alter their plans. 

This whole thing is super interesting to me and I appreciate you sharing.

Is it your understanding - generally speaking/not Bills-specific - that by this time of the year (a couple weeks from the schedule being announced) that the schedule is, say, 90% locked and there could be changes made right up until a day or two before, based on the draft and trades?

Just now, Gugny said:

This whole thing is super interesting to me and I appreciate you sharing.

Is it your understanding - generally speaking/not Bills-specific - that by this time of the year (a couple weeks from the schedule being announced) that the schedule is, say, 90% locked and there could be changes made right up until a day or two before, based on the draft and trades?

How they do the schedule has changed in recent years according to the VP that was on Sals show.  They said it used to be they start with game 1 and week 1 and go out from there and then changes more happen at the back of the schedule.  With the introduction and advancement of technology, they now use computers and tweaking the schedule in the earlier parts of the schedule are easier now than in the past, so changes can happen throughout the schedule more as opposed to predominantly at the back half in the past.

However, he did say and my friends said the same about SoFi, with the amount of events coming back in full force right now, concerts, etc that stadiums across the league host and also need to schedule, its more complicated.  You can't just shift some teams games because they can't host a home game the next week instead because something else is scheduled already.  

And I have another friend who has worked at the NFL for years (not in the scheduling department though) who has told me that they often set some of their best draw games first and are more reluctant to change those once set and try and adjust elsewhere first.  He told me the goal for the NFL is to get people in front of the TV for said games, which is why up and coming teams might get 1 prime time game because there is no telling if they are still ascending.  And a team who has proven to be a winner for a couple season will see more primetime games, especially if the ratings have been good for that team.  Then there are teams that are always a big draw, like say the Cowboys because of their on going popularity to love or hate them.  

Even the VP mentioned how the Bills are must see TV now essentially and proven themselves and will see several national games this year as a result.  That the Bills earned it.  

So my personal opinion between what I have been told by some people and from that interview I watched last night, I think its reasonable to assume some of their important games are probably pretty locked in right now...games like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Opening Day come to mind.  I think the 90% mark you used is probably a good barometer.  I am also sure they look at teams like Buffalo and Green Bay for prime time late season games for the potential of crazy weather as they said they loved it when we have those snow games or that game like NE last year with all the wind and stuff.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I believe your sources and that we will get the Opener - I'm just not sure they'd put the Bills on at 12:30 at Detroit 

Would they have put the Chiefs in that game?  

We have high standards here people come on now.  

Plus a 3rd Thanksgiving game in 4 years?  And all 3 on the road.

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I believe your sources and that we will get the Opener - I'm just not sure they'd put the Bills on at 12:30 at Detroit 

Would they have put the Chiefs in that game?  

We have high standards here people come on now.  

Plus a 3rd Thanksgiving game in 4 years?  And all 3 on the road.

Well the on the road part is gonna happen as Detroit and Cowboys always host the Thanksgiving game each year, so their opponents will always be In those cities.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How they do the schedule has changed in recent years according to the VP that was on Sals show.  They said it used to be they start with game 1 and week 1 and go out from there and then changes more happen at the back of the schedule.  With the introduction and advancement of technology, they now use computers and tweaking the schedule in the earlier parts of the schedule are easier now than in the past, so changes can happen throughout the schedule more as opposed to predominantly at the back half in the past.

However, he did say and my friends said the same about SoFi, with the amount of events coming back in full force right now, concerts, etc that stadiums across the league host and also need to schedule, its more complicated.  You can't just shift some teams games because they can't host a home game the next week instead because something else is scheduled already.  

And I have another friend who has worked at the NFL for years (not in the scheduling department though) who has told me that they often set some of their best draw games first and are more reluctant to change those once set and try and adjust elsewhere first.  He told me the goal for the NFL is to get people in front of the TV for said games, which is why up and coming teams might get 1 prime time game because there is no telling if they are still ascending.  And a team who has proven to be a winner for a couple season will see more primetime games, especially if the ratings have been good for that team.  Then there are teams that are always a big draw, like say the Cowboys because of their on going popularity to love or hate them.  

Even the VP mentioned how the Bills are must see TV now essentially and proven themselves and will see several national games this year as a result.  That the Bills earned it.  

So my personal opinion between what I have been told by some people and from that interview I watched last night, I think its reasonable to assume some of their important games are probably pretty locked in right now...games like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Opening Day come to mind.  I think the 90% mark you used is probably a good barometer.  I am also sure they look at teams like Buffalo and Green Bay for prime time late season games for the potential of crazy weather as they said they loved it when we have those snow games or that game like NE last year with all the wind and stuff.  

I wonder how much say the networks have when it comes to scheduling. CBS pays billions to have the AFC package, ditto FOX with NFC. Also add ESPN with MNF and NBC with SNF. These networks obviously want to have the best games. Take Green Bay at Buffalo for example. You have Allen and Rodgers and two pretty good teams. All of the networks would love to have this game as it is a marquee matchup. I wonder how the league decides who gets it. It easy to say this would make a great primetime matchup but FOX will make a strong case to have this as their Sunday afternoon national game.

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

(a) I do a few different things...I have businesses in marketing, media, and also cannabis.  

(b) Yes, but only if you can pass the TSW ultimate tests by answering 3 questions:

1. Bone-in or Boneless?
  2. Blue Cheese or Ranch?
  3. What kind of car do you drive?

First two are easy...do I even have to answer?

On #3 for some reason I feel like I need to say a Honda Fit.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

You know I was thinking last night...sounds like some of the TSW crowd is coming to LA for the game.  Well I live beach front like 10 min from the stadium.  So was thinking, maybe I will host a TSW beach day here at my place ahead of the game for anyone who wants to come by.  You literally step off my patio on to the beach.  I have 3 BBQ's (Gas, Traeger, and Charcoal) so can BBQ it up if we want, then I can smash some of you in Corn Hole and other beach games, and then we head over to the stadium to watch the Bills smash the Rams.  

My soon to be wife (we get married June 4th) seemed cool with this idea too last night.  Once the schedule is confirmed for when this game is, we can revisit this and see if anyone is interested.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My soon to be wife (we get married June 4th) seemed cool with this idea too last night.  My fiancée gave me permission last night.  Once the schedule is confirmed for when this game is, we can revisit this and see if anyone is interested.  

There ya go.  :D

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I wonder how much say the networks have when it comes to scheduling. CBS pays billions to have the AFC package, ditto FOX with NFC. Also add ESPN with MNF and NBC with SNF. These networks obviously want to have the best games. Take Green Bay at Buffalo for example. You have Allen and Rodgers and two pretty good teams. All of the networks would love to have this game as it is a marquee matchup. I wonder how the league decides who gets it. It easy to say this would make a great primetime matchup but FOX will make a strong case to have this as their Sunday afternoon national game.

Yeah great question, I was wondering the same, especially with all the new TV deals and the amounts of money they are paying.  I've wondered if they with these new deals if the networks get more input now compared to before with how much the money has sky rocketed too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah great question, I was wondering the same, especially with all the new TV deals and the amounts of money they are paying.  I've wondered if they with these new deals if the networks get more input now compared to before with how much the money has sky rocketed too.  

I would think so. The league makes the majority of its money through TV. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.