Mekhi Becton done as a Jet?

Captain Hindsight

13 hours ago, aristocrat said:

had they drafted wirfs they succeed and bucs don’t win a super bowl. Wild how that stuff works 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I always had Wirfs graded as the best OT in that class. That he went 4th of the top 4 guys was always mad to me. Granted he has played exclusively at right tackle the "easier" side so far, but he is already a first team all pro and if you look at Tampa's line when he went down in the playoffs you definitely saw how valuable he is to them. 

This one still stings for me too, I placed a bet on draft night that Wirfs would be the first OL taken, couldn't believe he was the 4th off the board.

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Hey Let’s br…. Whoops I mean yeah we don’t need him

Yeah brother,  I think spemcer

once healthy will be fine as he had a decent rookie year.  We already brought in a few vets with Saffold on the inside and Quis, can play Tackle.

Semismart minds think alike.  😇🤩🦬🏋️♂️

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Mike Williams v 2.0 ?

I dunno. Williams always looked bad. Mekhi had a pretty decent rookie season then got hurt and didn't rehab properly it seems. I don't think Saleh lasts past this season. He was a very good DC, but hasn't shown a darn thing as an HC. Outright stating that Becton is done as a LT through the media seems to either be calling his guy out or motivating him, with neither of those being the best way to manage a player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I dunno. Williams always looked bad. Mekhi had a pretty decent rookie season then got hurt and didn't rehab properly it seems. I don't think Saleh lasts past this season. He was a very good DC, but hasn't shown a darn thing as an HC. Outright stating that Becton is done as a LT through the media seems to either be calling his guy out or motivating him, with neither of those being the best way to manage a player.

Apparently the Jests wanted n still want Sean Payton next year

On 4/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, JohnNord said:

What’s the issue with Becton?  I know he had kind of an up and down rookie season and that he was injured last season.

It’s the New York bagels 🥯 

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah there was definitely a more diplomatic way of phrasing that.

Yeah well, some folk need a sharp wrap on the knuckles to grasp the reality of their situation, likely one of those times, this may motivate him to advance his craft in a substantial way. 

Edited by Don Otreply

24 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yeah well, some folk need a sharp wrap on the knuckles to grasp the reality of their situation, likely one of those times, this may motivate him to advance his craft in a substantial way. 

Different people need to be treated different ways, for sure. But almost (?) 100% of the time it’s best done privately. At least that is my experience. 

7 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Saleh's head coaching job is in the the hands of one player: Zach Wilson.  If Wilson continues to play like he did as a rookie, Saleh is toast either this season or next.  If Wilson plays like the #2 overall pick should, the Jets will win games & Saleh will remain as HC of NYJ.  That's how it usually is in the NFL, the longest tenured coaches usually have a franchise QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Different people need to be treated different ways, for sure. But almost (?) 100% of the time it’s best done privately. At least that is my experience. 

I agree, with you, this could be that .001% of the time, it’s the Jets after all, what else should we expect from them, okay we should expect more on a person to person level, but it’s the jets…, 

14 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He didn't rehab properly but also he had problems with his weight in college and unfortunately he has had those problems in the league too. He came into the league in shape because he had got in shape for the combine and workouts etc. Unfortunately as soon as he was away from football he was unable to control the weight. It's a shame because he was good as a rookie and he has a lot of talent. He was the "swing for the fences" option in that left tackle group. The Jets swung, looked like they had won, and then struck out. 

6 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Saleh's head coaching job is in the the hands of one player: Zach Wilson.  If Wilson continues to play like he did as a rookie, Saleh is toast either this season or next.  If Wilson plays like the #2 overall pick should, the Jets will win games & Saleh will remain as HC of NYJ.  That's how it usually is in the NFL, the longest tenured coaches usually have a franchise QB.  

They need Zach to step up, definitely. But of all the rookie QBs last year the one who flashed the most to me was Wilson. There was a lot of bad there but he had some moments where his talent really did show. Davis Mills and Mac Jones had the best years but the feeling with both is they are already close to their ceiling. Zach flashed more than Lawrence, Fields and Lance in terms of making some of those real elite throws. I am not saying he is the next Josh to be absolutely clear, but his rookie season had a bit of rookie Josh about it. 

To me - this is a very scary moment in Jets history.  It actually reminds me a lot of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz in Boston and I hate Baseball, but everyone was saying those guys were done and they were trying to unload the contracts and no one wanted to take the players even cheaply.  Then bang they figured it out and suddenly the team got good again around them.

I am hoping and praying someone goes and takes Becton out of NY for pennies on the dollar because there is enough talent that if he puts it together could make them tough and combine that with a lot of youth and to me the Jets can be a scary team.

I want talent to start coming off that team because there is talent there and I do not want any teams really challenging the Bills for the division for the next 15 years like the Pats had.  Give them all Rebuild after Rebuild.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

To me - this is a very scary moment in Jets history.  It actually reminds me a lot of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz in Boston and I hate Baseball, but everyone was saying those guys were done and they were trying to unload the contracts and no one wanted to take the players even cheaply.  Then bang they figured it out and suddenly the team got good again around them.

I am hoping and praying someone goes and takes Becton out of NY for pennies on the dollar because there is enough talent that if he puts it together could make them tough and combine that with a lot of youth and to me the Jets can be a scary team.

I want talent to start coming off that team because there is talent there and I do not want any teams really challenging the Bills for the division for the next 15 years like the Pats had.  Give them all Rebuild after Rebuild.

The Jets definitely have the potential to be a really good team in the next couple of years. They have a couple of young guys on the OL with a lot of potential, mixed in with a couple of decent vets. They have Lawson, who looked like an up-and-coming star before the achilles injury, coming back. They drafted Jermaine Johnson, who has the potential to be a good/great pass rusher. They still have Quinnen Williams. Sauce has the potential to be a lock-down CB. Their LB group is meh, but if Mosley can stay healthy that will help a lot. They have a couple of young, potential stud RB's in Breece Hall and Michael Carter. They have a solid receiving group in Moore, Davis, and the recently drafted Garrett Wilson. They picked up CJ Uzomah, have Tyler Conklin, and added Jeremy Ruckert to the TE group. Everything still, just as with any other team, will hinge on the play of their QB. If the game slows down for Wilson, if he's improved reading defenses, and makes the right decisions with the football? They could be pushing for that 2nd spot in the AFCE this year, and a potential Playoff berth. Everything has to come together for Zach Wilson on the field though. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.