NFL Draft Rumors

HappyDays

46 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Ah crap, it's already after midnight it's too late!  We're gonna get Aaron Maybin in our stocking again...

Santa’s sack is about the only sack Maybin could get. 

39 minutes ago, 947 said:

The 1st round RB thing comes down to this:

Would you rather have Breece Hall & a late 2nd round CB, or Booth & the 2nd best RB in this draft?

Breece and Woolen no doubt. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, 947 said:

The 1st round RB thing comes down to this:

Would you rather have Breece Hall & a late 2nd round CB, or Booth & the 2nd best RB in this draft?

I wouldn’t take a rb until round 4

Reading the draft network’s staff final predictive mock drafts. Most of them have sauce going 7th to NYG, and Kyle Hamilton falling all the way to 18. Booth is mocked to the Bills in a lot of them with Hall only once. 

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

14 hours ago, glazeduck said:

It's one thing to list "really good players" (debatable), it's another thing to identify a player that would fit what we're needing at WR... We already have 3 intermediate/separation types, so Phillips and Bell don't seem to make a ton of sense, at some point you can only have so many players running routes in the short/intermediate area. Gray is interesting, but to me, there's a sizeable gap in talent between him and the guys in the first 2 rounds. 

I honestly think he, Doubs, Melton have had their stock inflated because there's so many good WRs at the top -- that gap in talent is pulling their stocks up. The guys I'd want if we're taking at WR in the 3rd would be Tolbert and Ross.

If Tolbert is there for the Bills in round 3 the entire NFL should be shamed. I'd sprint to the podium, kiss Roger, and call out 32 teams who let the guy slide to pick #89. Then I'd turn in the card. 

Agree that Justyn Ross is a guy we should consider who could more legitimately be there at #89 if we haven't taken a receiver at that point. 

Bo Melton is one of my guys. Loved him at the Senior Bowl and wasn't surprised when the buzz came for him. But he is a day 3, slot, gimmick package and return guy. A team like the Bills in a championship window isn't drafting Bo and calling that an upgrade. He'd just be competing with Stevenson for a roster spot. There are teams more in a rebuild mode where Bo could have an earlier more substantial impact and maybe they push him up the board a bit. I doubt he'd be there for the Bills at the point he makes sense for the Bills which for me is 6th round.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Is it me or is it strangely quiet the night before this draft?  I mean, I'm not really hearing anything besides Travon going first overall

So there is some buzz in Lions circles about KT being their guy at #2 and having been that the whole way and they have never wavered. Not sure I buy it. I think Walker will go at #1 and Hutch will go #2, but a Lions fan whose judgment I trust thinks KT is going to be the pick.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well if either are there at 8 they are BPA over any WR imo and Atlanta needs both so, pass rusher it is 

If KT gets to Atlanta he is the pick. Johnson or a receiver I think is more of a conversation but my gut all draft season has been that they go edge at #8. 

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They were serious on Etienne. I can believe that Rousseau was ahead of him, but Chris Brown admitted he was aware of serious interest in Etienne, Etienne himself said he thought he was going to be a Bill, and Beane in his press conference last week admitted they had been high on 1st round running backs before but that it hadn't worked out to take him - which I think was a tacit admission on Etienne. 

Granted I have no inside information but I can imagine that all those talk about possibly taking Ettiene was just smoke and mirrors from Beane (and yes it includes luring Ettiene into thinking he could be drafted by the Bills). That allows other teams to consistently think we are high on RBs and that we want to draft one high, and then do something completely else like we always do.

I think we will see it this year. Hall will be there when we pick, and we will not choose him. Instead, we will (in absence of better options) choose someone like Gordon or Hill. I am not saying that we will never draft a RB high, but Beane is NOT drafting a RB who is around 40-45 on most boards at 25. There is a great chart in another thread how in general overdrafting players in the first round usually pans out. Beane is just too smart for that.

We will see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.

There are RB's who could go late in the draft and be as good or better than Hall.

Taking Hall early actually puts you in position to miss good value at RB later.........and it's a deep draft of RB's.

Get the traits at premium positions while they are there.

Breece Hall reminds me so much of Antowain Smith.........a near perfect score RAS superstar..........who didn't really pan out by the expectations of the day.

The Bills badly needed a DE for their 3-4 and Trevor Pryce was commonly mocked to the Bills as the solution.

Bills chose to go Antowain Smith first instead of Pryce........thinking they could get better value at both positions if they went RB in 1 and DE in round 2.......where they took Marcellus Wiley.

They got decent players........but Pryce ended up with almost 100 career sacks. :lol:

Lesser RAS RB's that went in round 2 were Tiki Barber and Corey Dillon.........who combined for around 25,000 rushing yards.

Although I agree in general and prefer other players to Hall, your argument is something that can be twisted in any direction.  In 2016 the Bills waited until later to  pick RB Jonathan Williams because they “needed” DE and took Shaq Lawson.  Had they prioritized RB they could have taken Derrick Henry and “settled” for Yannick Ngakoue.  We wouldn’t even have had to pass over the great Reggie Ragland.

The point is you can do this comparison for any two positions in either direction all day long.  Five years from now fans of 31 teams will be complaining they passed 4 times on some guy drafted this Saturday in round 5.  That guy might be a QB, RB, DE or maybe even one of each.  It’s Beane’s job to discern which PLAYERS are more likely to help the Bills short and long term.  Shirley this takes into account what position they play but cannot be reliant on only that. 

With all that said I am also guilty of positional bias as I want the Bills to draft corner at all costs tonight, possibly even trading up.  I make no claims about how the pick will work out beyond its impact on @Bill from NYC That alone makes it a steal.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Albert Breer SI article from today about draft rumors he’s hearing.  Bills notes are below. 

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/04/27/2022-nfl-draft-player-grades-trades-corner-projections

• I have corner penciled in for the Bills at 25, but their flexibility reflects the job they’ve done building the roster. Someone mentioned to me Wednesday how the Bills are in a spot now where they have to take a more targeted approach just to make sure they’ll have the right job open for the guy they take in the first round. Which is actually what could wind up leading them to consider a running back if, say, the right corner isn’t there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Albert Breer SI article from today about draft rumors he’s hearing.  Bills notes are below. 

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/04/27/2022-nfl-draft-player-grades-trades-corner-projections

• I have corner penciled in for the Bills at 25, but their flexibility reflects the job they’ve done building the roster. Someone mentioned to me Wednesday how the Bills are in a spot now where they have to take a more targeted approach just to make sure they’ll have the right job open for the guy they take in the first round. Which is actually what could wind up leading them to consider a running back if, say, the right corner isn’t there.

This is shortsighted thinking by Breer.  Thankfully Beane said 1st round pick would be more about the long term.  If there are no 1st round grades left at 25, trade down for pennies on the dollar.  Nobody but the Bills is threat to take Hall before the early-mid 2nd round.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is shortsighted thinking by Breer.  Thankfully Beane said 1st round pick would be more about the long term.  If there are no 1st round grades left at 25, trade down for pennies on the dollar.  Nobody but the Bills is threat to take Hall before the early-mid 2nd round.  

Gotta have a trade partner to move back.  You’re acting like the Bills are the only team that realizes the pool of first round talent is small.  

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Granted I have no inside information but I can imagine that all those talk about possibly taking Ettiene was just smoke and mirrors from Beane (and yes it includes luring Ettiene into thinking he could be drafted by the Bills). That allows other teams to consistently think we are high on RBs and that we want to draft one high, and then do something completely else like we always do.

I think we will see it this year. Hall will be there when we pick, and we will not choose him. Instead, we will (in absence of better options) choose someone like Gordon or Hill. I am not saying that we will never draft a RB high, but Beane is NOT drafting a RB who is around 40-45 on most boards at 25. There is a great chart in another thread how in general overdrafting players in the first round usually pans out. Beane is just too smart for that.

We will see.

I don't think them passing on Hall would be a signal that they would have passed on Etienne had Greg been gone and Travis still been there. I think they really liked Etienne and not just thought they should take a running back.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think them passing on Hall would be a signal that they would have passed on Etienne had Greg been gone and Travis still been there. I think they really liked Etienne and not just thought they should take a running back.

I appreciate your takes.

Question:  which players would you be adamant about realistically trading up for tonight?  

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Personally, I think the "never, ever take a running back in the first round" thing has become ridiculously overblown. I get it: positional value, short shelf life, blah blah blah. But people saying they'd rather reach for a corner just because it's a need, or who would rather take WR6 or CB5 instead of RB1, even if RB1 is rated higher on the draft board, just because spreadsheet Twitter says so...it's gotten out of hand.

RB is not my preferred choice at 25, but if Beanie feels like adding a dynamic running back will help the team more than reaching to fill a need at corner or WR, I'm not gonna throw my TV out the window.

I watched our running game for the majority of last year. I watched Allen be our red zone running back for four years straight. Having a legit running back for six years (fifth year option plus franchise tag) to balance our offense and reduce the amount of hits our QB takes won't be the worst thing, even if it makes the analytics twerps scream and cry.

It is, it's a rigid way of thinking.  Every situation is different and it all depends on the quality of the back, what that back brings to the table and how far along you are as an organization.  If you are an organization that is building to become a relevant team then a RB probably wouldn't probably be the best choice as there are other positions that are deemed more important to building the foundation of a successful organization.   However, if you are a team that is contending for the Super Bowl and a RB can provide a large delta to what you already have, then it makes a lot more sense.   Elite RB's touch the ball 20+ times a game, elite WR's touch the ball 6+ times a game, granted the average touch gains considerably more yardage for a WR than it does for a RB, but a top end RB can not only help the ground game but also keeps defenses honest and can help open up the pass game.   This is not an inaccurate characterization, there is a reason why many of the previous Super Bowl winners had a commitment to run the ball.

No one is saying that the Bills should become a ground and pound team or a team that should run the ball anywhere near 50/50, the Bills will always be a pass first team as long as Josh Allen is at the helm, but the Bills are extremely close to winning it all and having a RB that can run the ball very effectively, with homerun speed, great vision and well above average pass catching ability is something that would most likely show immediate results for this offense.  

I think for me when the Bills make their draft choice it has to meet certain criteria and as far as I'm concerned the "Will this pick help us win now" criteria would have to be met.  We are too close as an organization to make a draft choice that should potentially be "red shirted" or is competing for a starting job in a position that is already adequately filled at this time.

IF Hall can be a pro bowl calibur RB and having that quality level of services can only be had for 5-7 years while this is a contending team, then for me it would have all been well worth it.    

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I appreciate your takes.

Question:  which players would you be adamant about realistically trading up for tonight?  

Not sure there is one I would be adamant about. Not in round 1 anyway. There are years I would but this year is a let the draft come to you year. There was a report I read yesterday claiming one team only has 13 true 1st round grades. It isn't a great class at the top but it does have decent depth rounds 2-5. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sal in discussion with several other media guys that spend a lot of time at OBD has repeatedly said - he believes ETN was a smokescreen to get someone to either move up or pick him - pushing down a solid player.  They believe his actions at handling RB speak louder than the smoke.

They reiterated that it sounds like they are thinking that again - pushing RB in the hopes that someone either moves up or picks him and it pushes a better value position down.

We will see - more and more national people are jumping on the Hall pick - I just feel like they all talk each other into things via group speak rather than actual knowledge.

Smoke versus Fire.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sal in discussion with several other media guys that spend a lot of time at OBD has repeatedly said - he believes ETN was a smokescreen to get someone to either move up or pick him - pushing down a solid player.  They believe his actions at handling RB speak louder than the smoke.

They reiterated that it sounds like they are thinking that again - pushing RB in the hopes that someone either moves up or picks him and it pushes a better value position down.

We will see - more and more national people are jumping on the Hall pick - I just feel like they all talk each other into things via group speak rather than actual knowledge.

Smoke versus Fire.

I do not think the Bills will take Hall. But if Sal thinks Etienne was smoke I think that flies in the face of what evidence we do have. I have said it numerous times in the last week, swap Jacksonville's pick from Travis to Greg and keep everything else the same the Bills then draft Etienne IMO. I think they were really high on him as a dynamic score from anywhere playmaker who was gonna be half running back and half slot receiver. 

I think people equating the two scenarios - Breece this year and Travis last are mistaken.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Then take Ojabo or reach for a position group like CB or WR or even OT.  

I’m not a fan of a RB in the first either, but I do understand the argument in favor of it - even if I don’t buy into it.  If there are nothing but second round prospects at 25, then it makes more sense.  Still, I think it’d be a mistake and I’d rather them go after a more premium position.  That would make more sense to me too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.