NFL Draft Rumors

HappyDays

37 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think some here under value Marquez Stevenson as a WR. He showed some good play last preseason toss in feel the WR depth in this draft is big similar to the year we got Gabe Davis in the 3rd. I don't see a stud WR putting us over the top this year. That's why am not advocating trading up for one. 

Stevenson might end up being good, but if we feel like WR may be a need, a Super Bowl contending team CANNOT depend on a 6th round pick turning out. If he develops, depth is a great problem to have, but no, we can't just ignore a position because we might be underrating Marquez Stevenson. 

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think some here under value Marquez Stevenson as a WR. He showed some good play last preseason toss in feel the WR depth in this draft is big similar to the year we got Gabe Davis in the 3rd. I don't see a stud WR putting us over the top this year. That's why am not advocating trading up for one. 

We do this every year (and I'm guilty of it as well) -- we think that the guy we got in the 6th or 7th round the year before is going to "make a big jump" in his 2nd (or 3rd) year and obviate the need to draft talented players in early rounds at that position.  I mean, we're all still waiting for Isaiah Hodgins to break out, amiright?

Those "surprises" happen once in a blue moon, and anyone expecting Stevenson to play a major role in this offense is naive (at best).

A stud WR in the 1st round absolutely helps the team this year, but I do agree with you that the Bills should not trade up in this year's 1st round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd trade up for Booth if it doesn't cost too much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

We do this every year (and I'm guilty of it as well) -- we think that the guy we got in the 6th or 7th round the year before is going to "make a big jump" in his 2nd (or 3rd) year and obviate the need to draft talented players in early rounds at that position.  I mean, we're all still waiting for Isaiah Hodgins to break out, amiright?

Those "surprises" happen once in a blue moon, and anyone expecting Stevenson to play a major role in this offense is naive (at best).

A stud WR in the 1st round absolutely helps the team this year, but I do agree with you that the Bills should not trade up in this year's 1st round.

I agree with all - except for the not moving up point. 

If “that” guy is in striking distance, pounce. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

If the Bills select Hall, it’s because they believe he’s capable of catching a 5 yard pass and turning it into a 60 yard TD. They don’t currently have that player on the roster and Beane referenced needing that sort of talent. You can draft it at WR and add it to that group, but personally I’d rather have it at RB. He doesn’t have to carry it 25+ times a game.

They got Duke Johnson for that. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They got Duke Johnson for that. 

What makes you think Duke Johnson is capable of being that player? He runs in the mid 4.5s, at least when he tested years ago at the combine, probably slower now. He also hasn’t had one play of over 55 yards in his entire NFL career. He’s not a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

To be fair Devin's level of competition as FIU probably worse than Hall's has been at ISU. That said I'm not big on taking a RB in Round 1. I think a complimentary RB to Motor can be found later than sooner. The guy I like to fit Round 4/5 area we could take to me is Ty Chandler. As he has the timed/breakaway speed and can also line up as a WR and return kicks and what this team could use as a RB3 behind Singletary/Johnson.

And if you are grading production on a curve a late round option like Chandler who put up 6 ypa and 14 ypr in 2021 is a good example of a guy who excelled in a much better defensive conference.

It's common sense not to draft a RB in round 1..........there are a mountain of reasons why and tons of supporting evidence.    Bills haven't passed on one that went in round 1 in over 30 years and lived to regret it.    The only regrets are the one's they did take.

But a lot of folks actually think Singletary was a bad pick and desperately needs to be replaced..............and in reality he has produced above what you can expect from pick #72.......or may get from #25.   

And pick #72 is worth about 220 points of value in trade.  

Pick #25 is worth 720.

How much better than Singletary would a first round RB have to be to justify such a waste of value while also relegating Singletary to the bench?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

What makes you think Duke Johnson is capable of being that player? He runs in the mid 4.5s, at least when he tested years ago at the combine, probably slower now. He also hasn’t had one play of over 55 yards in his entire NFL career. He’s not a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it.

You are correct about not taking it to the house. I should have clarified they picked Duke up to be the Bills third down passing RB. I don't think the Bills need a home run passing running back. That would be a luxury and a bonus. Motor has proved to be very good with good Oline play. The offense will be fine as long as Allen stays healthy and the Oline blocks well. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

How does one undervalue a WR with 0 receiving yards?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

To be fair Devin's level of competition as FIU probably worse than Hall's has been at ISU. That said I'm not big on taking a RB in Round 1. I think a complimentary RB to Motor can be found later than sooner. The guy I like to fit Round 4/5 area we could take to me is Ty Chandler. As he has the timed/breakaway speed and can also line up as a WR and return kicks and what this team could use as a RB3 behind Singletary/Johnson.

Agreed.  Chandler would be very nice later on.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But the way contracts and the cap work means your roster is never "filled out" for long. So I'd rather take a premium position guy that I might not "start" in 2022 but that will be down the line rather than take the "luxury pick" at running back.

I used to find it astonishing that so many people couldn't understand this.........now I just take it for granted that they won't.

One could probably put together 59 pages of legitimate reasons why you shouldn't take a RB in round 1............and maybe that's part of the problem..........there are so many logical reasons that it's hard to choose just a few..........and some folks just can't process that much data.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Either way, Hall is a good candidate. He can run and catch. We can disguise personnel with it, and even if we don’t, there is no way teams can play 8 in the box against a team like Allen. I honestly feel bad for other teams defense if we draft Hall and pick up a few o linemen. 

Unless the OL run blocks better than last year, Hall won’t be any better than Singletary.  Yes, Hall is probably a better receiver.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

You are correct about not taking it to the house. I should have clarified they picked Duke up to be the Bills third down passing RB. I don't think the Bills need a home run passing running back. That would be a luxury and a bonus. Motor has proved to be very good with good Oline play. The offense will be fine as long as Allen stays healthy and the Oline blocks well. 

I think Motor is a fully capable runner. He’ll never instill fear into the defense, but that’s okay. My post was in regards to what Beane covets - an offensive player who can take a 5 yard pass and turn it into a 60 yard TD. He said we don’t have that player on our roster and I said if he were added, I’d prefer it was to the RB room rather than at the glut of receivers. Hall could potentially not only take a 5 yard pass to the house, but also a run where Motor gets 15. TDs and explosive plays are not luxuries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

If the Bills select Hall, it’s because they believe he’s capable of catching a 5 yard pass and turning it into a 60 yard TD. They don’t currently have that player on the roster and Beane referenced needing that sort of talent. You can draft it at WR and add it to that group, but personally I’d rather have it at RB. He doesn’t have to carry it 25+ times a game.

Or be a smart organization..........draft or UDFA one of many late round WR's who would have been RB's in the NFL of 20 years ago but are now going to be well down an NFL WR depth chart......and use them like a wide-back..........turn that market inefficiency into your favor.

RB's today are like CB's of yesteryear..........they play those positions only because they CAN'T play receiver. 

Exceptions are rare........probably only Christian McCaffrey could be a real legit NFL receiver..........and playing RB tore hizass up.

Even Alvin Kamara isn't that guy.    Top RB's are only going to give you Cole Beasley like 7-9 ypc production.

Getting bigger receiving #'s from your back is always an aspiration but I think some people have this idea in mind that throwing screens to RB's totally catches defense's with their pants down.     It's not true.  

Running backs almost always operate within 5 yards of the LOS..........it makes them pretty easy to account for.

Whereas a receiver who might run a 9 route on a CB 30 yards down the field..........throwing a screen to him can be explosive........if he is quick and elusive........or has the instincts and contact balance of a RB(which is what Deebo Samuel is, in addition to being a downfield weapon).   

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think Motor is a fully capable runner. He’ll never instill fear into the defense, but that’s okay. My post was in regards to what Beane covets - an offensive player who can take a 5 yard pass and turn it into a 60 yard TD. He said we don’t have that player on our roster and I said if he were added, I’d prefer it was to the RB room rather than at the glut of receivers. Hall could potentially not only take a 5 yard pass to the house, but also a run where Motor gets 15. TDs and explosive plays are not luxuries.

Imagine where we force teams to put 8 in the box at times. I can’t recall many times where teams ever had 8 in the box vs Singletary. Imagine what Allen would do to defenses with a legitimately feared RB. If we had Derick Henry, nobody could stop us. We would likely have an undefeated season. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Imagine where we force teams to put 8 in the box at times. I can’t recall many times where teams ever had 8 in the box vs Singletary. Imagine what Allen would do to defenses with a legitimately feared RB. If we had Derick Henry, nobody could stop us. We would likely have an undefeated season. 

Why are you so keen in playing against the Bills strength in Josh and the passing game? Teams aren’t going to put 8 in the box regardless of who the running back is because Josh is throwing the ball or going to scramble. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Motor26 said:

Why are you so keen in playing against the Bills strength in Josh and the passing game? Teams aren’t going to put 8 in the box regardless of who the running back is because Josh is throwing the ball or going to scramble. 

I’m not keen in playing against the Bills strength, but I want to enhance the passing game by having a RB teams have to plan around. If we have a Derick Henry, teams will be forced to put 8 in the box, even with Josh throwing, they wouldn’t have a choice. If they don’t, they will get anaconda’d to death. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.