What are your expectations for the rookie Beane drafts in the 1st round this year?

intimidatortj

Do you think Beane can draft a prospect this year that will have a rookie year better than, equal to, or worse than the following?

• Shaq Lawson
  • Tre' White
  • Tremaine Edmunds
  • Ed Oliver
  • Greg Rousseau

If Beane drafts a rookie that plays equivalent to what #9 pick Ed Oliver did as a rookie, would you be happy?
(Remember he started out very slow...not "starting" quite a few games early on)
How about Shaq's rookie year?  Would you be happy with that?
Tremaine?  Rousseau?

I think we have to keep in mind that many 1st round picks just don't move the needle as much as we hope.

IMO if we draft a DB that plays close to what Tre' White did as a rookie, I would be happy.

If instead the rookie only plays up to what Ed Oliver, Rousseau, Edmunds or Shaq did, I would be a bit disappointed.

PS the best 1st round pick was probably trading the pick to get Stefon Diggs.  Diggs first year in Buffalo was pretty darn good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3

12 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

If it's a RB, I'd expect a lot honestly, if that isn't the expectation don't draft him.

If it's a CB, round into starter level play by the end of the season/playoff stretch. 

Any other position, good luck with getting snaps.

Well said.  👍

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

Do you think Beane can draft a prospect this year that will have a rookie year better than, equal to, or worse than the following?

• Shaq Lawson
  • Tre' White
  • Tremaine Edmunds
  • Ed Oliver
  • Greg Rousseau

If Beane drafts a rookie that plays equivalent to what #9 pick Ed Oliver did as a rookie, would you be happy?
Tremaine?  Rousseau?

I think we have to keep in mind that many 1st round picks just don't move the needle as much as we hope.

IMO if we draft a DB that plays close to what Tre' White did as a rookie, I would be happy.

If instead the rookie only plays up to what Ed Oliver, Rousseau, Edmunds or Shaq did, I would be a bit disappointed.

PS the best 1st round pick was probably trading the pick to get Stefon Diggs.  Diggs first year in Buffalo was pretty darn good.

I expect the first round pick (assuming he's taken at 25), will see decent playing time, if not start at the beginning of the season.  By November, I expect him to be a starter or regular rotation player, and I expect him to make some plays that have impact. 

Part of McDermott's process is that the team is always a fairly veteran team, and what they learn from year to year to year carries over.   McDermott said once during his first year that once he has his team and system in place, the team quickly raises new comers to the team's level of play.  Beane is looking for guys who compete and who have a serious team orientation, guys who will willingly work to get to the level of play of the rest of the team.  White and Edmunds, and Shaq didn't have a veteran team to pull them up, and Oliver didn't have an established Dline to move into.  

If the Bills draft a first round calibre D tackle, for example, he's going to moving into a veteran Dline, not necessarily guys who have been here but who will fit in themselves pretty easily.  Same with a corner, a receiver, or an offensive linemen.   

So, I expect the guy to play and contribute. That's how the system is supposed to work.   Second and third round guys should play late in the season, also.   These guys are talented, and the Bills know who to integrate new guys with talent. 

36 minutes ago, Putin said:

I guess the only position that could make an impact as a rookie is a RB or CB 

Guard could.  Defensive tackle could.  Edge could.  Wideout could.  Tight end could.  

• Like (+1) 3

It depends on the player they choose.  I just hope they take the best player available at a relative position of need.  If it happens to be a position where they are a backup for a bit, so be it.  I’ll just hope that they have considerable upside and a plan.  Then wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, intimidatortj said:

• Shaq Lawson
  • Tre' White
  • Tremaine Edmunds
  • Ed Oliver
  • Greg Rousseau

Tremaine?  Rousseau?

Would be nice to get Greg Rousseau-like production.

Rousseau hit a rookie wall as a pass rusher.........the difference between his play early in the season in KC when he had that great interception.......versus in the playoffs was literally enough to decide both games.

But that's exactly why it's foolish to rely on rookies to address your biggest needs on a championship roster.

Fans expecting 20 games of contest changing play from pick #25 are asking A WHOLE LOT more of the pick than they can reasonably expect.

And that shouldn't be the objective of a 1st round pick..........that should be too find a long term asset at a position you would have to pay $20M-$30M aav to get on the open market 3-5 years down the road.    Franchise building blocks.

But Rousseau was actually also really good.........almost the exception.........he lead all NFL defensive lineman in total run stops despite only playing 49% of his teams snaps.

• Like (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

There will be game ready CBs at 25 and rounds 2/3

25, yes. Even if we have to settle on a Kyler Gordon, Kaiir Elam, or Daxton Hill (if Beane is okay with a Safety/Nickel CB projecting to Outside CB in the Pros). Rounds 2 and 3? I don't think so unless we move up from 57. Gordon, Elam, Hill, McCreary, and Woolen are all gone by then in most Mock simulations I've done. 

Could someone overachieve? Of course. But I'm not throwing Martin Emerson or Cam Taylor-Britt out there to start, alongside one of these leftovers in FA, and Dane Jackson and feeling good about it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

• Shaq Lawson
  • Tre' White
  • Tremaine Edmunds
  • Ed Oliver
  • Greg Rousseau

Tremaine?  Rousseau?

I’ll take Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.