This is such BS - Britt Reid trial now postponed to Sept 2022

Hapless Bills Fan

13 hours ago, Mickey said:

I can think of dozens of reasons why it would take longer than 18 months. Discovery, depositions, video tape depositions, motions, expert witnesses, evidence availability, site investigation and on and on. Just juggling the schedules of the lawyers, the parties, the witnesses and everyone else involved can slow things to a crawl. 

A billable hour is when a lawyer spends an hour of their time working on the client's case and yes, they do get paid for that just like mechanics, doctors, plumbers and electricians.  The reason people pay for that work is because as with plumbers, its worth it.

What are you guys all married to lawyers?  People who defend lawyers tend to have very limited experience with bad ones.  Without going into details, I or (mostly) my friends have had bad encounters with them in civil, criminal, custody, and divorce cases.  They love to extend because they make more money.  In some cases it is also beneficial to their client, but the motivation is always there.  

Oh, the billable hour argument...yes, they spend that time...well, maybe.  They say they spent that amount of time, but you have no way to prove they did or didn't.  I know of one case where someone I knew was being just ripped off.  When he asked for a list of billable hours to prove, they sent back a list that included ridiculous things.  There is no way to prove that they didn't work that time on your case...or someone else's.  Well, they should just get another lawyer - yeah, you are 25 grand into a lawyer that wants 5K more to finish your case and if you move now, you have to start over.  I have had lawyers tell me even worse stories.  I have had lawyers tell me to avoid certain other lawyers because they will milk you for all your worth.

Oh, and the people pay for that work because they are worth it line....ugh.  It would be more accurate to say that they pay for that work because they have no freaking choice.  Someone facing a problem that needs a lawyer - their life, or their kids, or their bank account is on the line.

Listen, I know that there are good lawyers.  I just hope that you don't find out the hard way that there are bad ones.

23 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Justice delayed is justice denied.  Just ask Marshawn Lynch's lawyers, who got his DUI in Oakland while with the Seahawks postponed for over 18 months, until Alameda County prosecutors just gave up and pleaded him down to misdemeanor reckless driving.  He, of course, won a Super Bowl while awaiting trial.

This.  Our legal system is messed up on many levels and having speedy trials would solve at least some of the problems.

9 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

What are you guys all married to lawyers?  People who defend lawyers tend to have very limited experience with bad ones.  Without going into details, I or (mostly) my friends have had bad encounters with them in civil, criminal, custody, and divorce cases.  They love to extend because they make more money.  In some cases it is also beneficial to their client, but the motivation is always there.  

Oh, the billable hour argument...yes, they spend that time...well, maybe.  They say they spent that amount of time, but you have no way to prove they did or didn't.  I know of one case where someone I knew was being just ripped off.  When he asked for a list of billable hours to prove, they sent back a list that included ridiculous things.  There is no way to prove that they didn't work that time on your case...or someone else's.  Well, they should just get another lawyer - yeah, you are 25 grand into a lawyer that wants 5K more to finish your case and if you move now, you have to start over.  I have had lawyers tell me even worse stories.  I have had lawyers tell me to avoid certain other lawyers because they will milk you for all your worth.

Oh, and the people pay for that work because they are worth it line....ugh.  It would be more accurate to say that they pay for that work because they have no freaking choice.  Someone facing a problem that needs a lawyer - their life, or their kids, or their bank account is on the line.

Listen, I know that there are good lawyers.  I just hope that you don't find out the hard way that there are bad ones.

This.  Our legal system is messed up on many levels and having speedy trials would solve at least some of the problems.

I'm sure your, ummm friends, who seem to have a lot of experience needing lawyers, have told you both sides of the story. I am sure the lawyers badmouthing other lawyers are not at all self interested.   And it totally makes sense that with your life on the line you would have no choice but to hire a bad lawyer.   We can have all the speedy trials you want, just invest more tax dollars in the legal system. More courts, more judges, more clerks and more lawyers.  Judging a delay as either justifiable under the circumstances or a two-bit tactic is in the eyes of the beholder.   Fortunately we have these impartial legal experts, we call them judges, who can decide to grant or deny a request for an adjournment.  Sure, our view from reading headlines, ignorant of the details, makes us far better judges of these matters than the actual, real live judges.  Plus, it helps to fire up our rant machines and that is always so much fun. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

I'm sure your, ummm friends, who seem to have a lot of experience needing lawyers, have told you both sides of the story. I am sure the lawyers badmouthing other lawyers are not at all self interested.   And it totally makes sense that with your life on the line you would have no choice but to hire a bad lawyer.   We can have all the speedy trials you want, just invest more tax dollars in the legal system. More courts, more judges, more clerks and more lawyers.  Judging a delay as either justifiable under the circumstances or a two-bit tactic is in the eyes of the beholder.   Fortunately we have these impartial legal experts, we call them judges, who can decide to grant or deny a request for an adjournment.  Sure, our view from reading headlines, ignorant of the details, makes us far better judges of these matters than the actual, real live judges. 

Come on, Mickey.  With a wave of the hand are you going to just dismiss all of my experiences over the last several decades?  I get that these are my experiences and not yours and, since you don't know me, you should not necessarily take my word as gospel, but that also means you should not dismiss them out of hand.  I also realize that I have an unusual amount of experience in this area (although it is not much of stretch - all you have to do is know a couple of people with bad divorces and know someone starting a company).  That is one of the reasons why I commented.  I am not a prolific commenter.  Far from it, but I have lived this.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are in earnest.  I will give you one example.  Someone I know is part of a start up company and I am a little more than tangentially involved.  We have a product that is significantly better than our competitors and one of them filed a spurious lawsuit against us.  It is ridiculous and unfounded.  Interestingly they did not sue us in our state, but in the same state as one of their locations.  We find out that, essentially, there is a friendly relationship between the judge and the execs of that company.  We file to change the venue.  Their CEO has a home address in a different state and so they argue that it is already on neutral ground.  We finally win and get the venue moved.  The process starts again there.  Our competitor then withdraws the lawsuit before any judgment could be made against them.  A month later they refile the lawsuit in federal court and the process starts up again.  We are deep in the process there and we file for a dismissal.  Despite all the evidence we present, the judge does not dismiss.  The burden of proof is on us for a dismissal and that is hard to do because the competitor is purposely playing their cards close to the vest.  It should have been dismissed, but wasn't.  Well, you should counter sue.  Yeah, maybe, but then the burden of proof that this was a malicious lawsuit once again falls on us and that is very hard to prove.  Attempting it opens up an entirely different case and doubles your legal fees.

In this case, through some of my bad experiences and through some of the contacts we have made we have developed some trustworthy contacts.  We got what I believe is a really good business trial lawyer.  Still, we have already had to pay out $75K and we haven't gone to trial yet.  The process has dragged out over years and, as a start up, we don't have that money, but we have to find it somehow.  They are trying to bleed us out.  This is just one example I can give you about how our system is broken.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Again, I am going to assume that you are in earnest and that you have just never been exposed to the dark side of our legal system.  I know there are good lawyers.  I wish I lived in a world where I could trust the authority structures above me.  I wish I could trust judges and lawyers and politicians, but our legal system has serious flaws.

57 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

the justice system works differently for those of means or celebrity.   

Exactly.  It is a pay to play system.  If you have lots of cash, it seriously works to your advantage....and delay is a go to tactic that money can pay for.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why does it matter to you , how is it Bills football related ?  It’s the legal system and should have no relevance here and truly a “ subjective opinion “ means nothing  and seems like a topic for a political board. Too bad some opinions are just permitted.  Agan. No relevance to a Bills board unless now the legal system is a topic for here. No diff than medical issues unless it’s ok to be hypocritical. Lol , have a sense of humor! We’ll see !  Best wishes. 😊🍸why is it BS?  Decided by judges unless you are a legal expert as well !? Please don’t attack me again just for “ my opinion” , no diff than you creating a topic like this. I like your posts , but clear double standard here Enjoy the draft ,,,perhaps a more relevant topic! 

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Why does it matter to you , how is it Bills football related ?

In case you haven't noticed, this is not solely a BILLS football board.  Other football topics are completely appropriate and are discussed here - other teams, players on other teams, other teams coaches.

In case you haven't noticed, we do other discuss events and criminal cases involving football players and coaches here, too.

Britt Reid was the linebackers coach for the AFCCG winning KC Chiefs at the time the events for which he is charged occurred

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In case you haven't noticed, this is not solely a BILLS football board.  Other football topics are completely appropriate and are discussed here - other teams, players on other teams, other teams coaches.

In case you haven't noticed, we do other discuss events and criminal cases involving football players and coaches here, too.

Britt Reid was the linebackers coach for the AFCCG winning KC Chiefs at the time the events for which he is charged occurred

Still not relevant to any on field football  activity is it?    How does a chiefs coaches son carry any weight or interest here?  Yet it’s ok if guys call Beasley a piece of crap just based on personal decisions and he was a good player for us. Reid means nothing as it’s the legal process and you are telling me that’s common to discuss in the football forum?  How does that have any relevance to football?  It’s a court decision: you can like it or not but it’s not related to x’s / o’s and has no impact on the field. How is it bs?  What FACT are you basing that on , what precedent , what articles support that “ opinion” ?  You are making an opinionated legal judgement. It’s our system , and that’s not a football topic. A little double standard , as you flag other opinions!  Power is a dangerous thing with subjectivity. Lol!

Yes, other teams are talked about , relative to football , production or players values. But just saying a legal decision is “ BS “ as an opinionated topic has usually been things not tolerated , unless you happen to be a mod !  There are actually topics great topics  chiefs related to roster etc ; a court decision about a non player , an insignificant coach with family ties is hardly topic worthy.  How does it matter other than someone thinking it would not happen without influence. Welcome to the real world, ; that’s not news as sept is still before the main part of the season and for all you know he will be in jail. Enlighten me how that impacts football. Best wishes. 😊😉

• 4 months later...

Wow...looks like prosecutors have agreed to a plea deal with him where they recommend he serve no more than 4 years in jail. Judge has a pretty wide leeway in deciding length of time tho as they could sentence him to as low as 4 months in jail and 5 years probation.

Family of the victim was opposed to the plea deal.

Seems like he is getting off incredibly easy for the impact he has had on the victim and their family.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/victim-family-outraged-over-deal-161952204.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 3

Any plea deals with a repeat offender like Reid should include a condition that if they are convicted of another DUI offense once released, they face automatic life in prison without parole.  That may weed out the ones that are just faking remorse to get the shortest sentence.  If you are truly changed and remorseful, there should be 0% that you drive drunk again.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Trials are often rescheduled and delayed. I am a little surprised there is not a settlement and plea agreement. It may be in the works and the basis for the delay. 

The plea deal is in the post 2 above yours, this thread got bumped from 4 months ago.

This right here is the real problem with the nfl coaching process. How in the world was this former creackhead qualified to be a nfl coach? Because of his daddy? It was a joke he was even in that position. Now, he almost killed a little girl while working for a nfl team. If I’m that family’s lawyer, I’m suing the Chiefs and the nfl. Dude is a disaster of a person.

and a part of me feels bad for Reid. Even though it was clearly nepotism for his son to have the job, he was trying his best. It sounds weird but some of the most messed up kids I went to school with were the ones who had the most money. And no matter how much they messed up, their parents would save them. This is just a sad story all around. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...looks like prosecutors have agreed to a plea deal with him where they recommend he serve no more than 4 years in jail. Judge has a pretty wide leeway in deciding length of time tho as they could sentence him to as low as 4 months in jail and 5 years probation.

Family of the victim was opposed to the plea deal.

Seems like he is getting off incredibly easy for the impact he has had on the victim and their family.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/victim-family-outraged-over-deal-161952204.html

We’re moving away from a punitive system of justice, with an eye toward rehabilitation and restorative justice.

I completely understand the outrage of the family, but I’d think this type of resolution is fairly common.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

12 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

We’re moving away from a punitive system of justice, with an eye toward rehabilitation and restorative justice.

I completely understand the outrage of the family, but I’d think this type of resolution is fairly common.  

Reid's maximum exposure was 7 years if found guilty.  He decided to plead guilty which usually means a shorter sentence.  Otherwise why would a defendant plead guilty.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I mean just do whatever and get the chance to make the same mistake again?

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This right here is the real problem with the nfl coaching process. How in the world was this former creackhead qualified to be a nfl coach? Because of his daddy? It was a joke he was even in that position. Now, he almost killed a little girl while working for a nfl team. If I’m that family’s lawyer, I’m suing the Chiefs and the nfl. Dude is a disaster of a person.

and a part of me feels bad for Reid. Even though it was clearly nepotism for his son to have the job, he was trying his best. It sounds weird but some of the most messed up kids I went to school with were the ones who had the most money. And no matter how much they messed up, their parents would save them. This is just a sad story all around. 

Reid is definitely not father of the year and I have little sympathy for him. He enabled this boy the entire way. If he didn’t keep handing him jobs and, subsequently, pay, then daddy’s boy would have had to scrounge for his drug and alcohol money.

To your point, this case illustrates a few disgusting realities of society. First, nepotism is rampant. Like you said, this guy never should have been an NFL coach if he didn’t have daddy. The case also illustrates that if you have money, you’ll get away with almost anything. I’d be shocked if this guy did more than a couple months in the cushiest jail daddy’s lawyer can find. Repeat offender, should be locked up for a long time. 

And finally, you mentioned the family should sue the Chiefs organization. The Chiefs have settled with the family for an undisclosed amount. 

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Reid is definitely not father of the year and I have little sympathy for him. He enabled this boy the entire way. If he didn’t keep handing him jobs and, subsequently, pay, then daddy’s boy would have had to scrounge for his drug and alcohol money.

To your point, this case illustrates a few disgusting realities of society. First, nepotism is rampant. Like you said, this guy never should have been an NFL coach if he didn’t have daddy. The case also illustrates that if you have money, you’ll get away with almost anything. I’d be shocked if this guy did more than a couple months in the cushiest jail daddy’s lawyer can find. Repeat offender, should be locked up for a long time. 

And finally, you mentioned the family should sue the Chiefs organization. The Chiefs have settled with the family for an undisclosed amount. 

Andy Reid is a ***** clown. A ***** show of a human being. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.