TSW Mock Draft 3.0

Virgil

Sorry folks, mother staying at the moment and she is a pain...

With the 8th pick of the TSW Mock Draft 3.0 the Atlanta Falcons select:

Jermaine Johnson II, Edge, Florida State University

The Seattle Seahawks and @turftoe are now on the clock.  

The Falcons could go Quarterback, but I'm not in love with this class. They could go offensive line, but I still think Jake Matthews is serviceable at left tackle. They could go corner but they have brought in Haywood to play opposite Terrell. They could go receiver but that feels like a luxury piece if you are rolling with Marcus Mariota. They desperately need edge help to make Dean Pees' defense work. I would love Thibodeaux, but he is gone, so Jermaine Johnson is the pick. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sorry folks, mother staying at the moment and she is a pain...

With the 8th pick of the TSW Mock Draft 3.0 the Atlanta Falcons select:

Jermaine Johnson II, Edge, Florida State University

The Seattle Seahawks and @turftoe are now on the clock.  

The Falcons could go Quarterback, but I'm not in love with this class. They could go offensive line, but I still think Jake Matthews is serviceable at left tackle. They could go corner but they have brought in Haywood to play opposite Terrell. They could go receiver but that feels like a luxury piece if you are rolling with Marcus Mariota. They desperately need edge help to make Dean Pees' defense work. I would love Thibodeaux, but he is gone, so Jermaine Johnson is the pick. 

I hope that she is OK.

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Seahawks (Turftoe) are on the clock
2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

The Panthers were originally wanting to take a swing picking QB Willis obviously with the current QB situation in place. Unfortunately Lions got there 1st. Although while a QB is greatly needed, Willis was the only one we were willing to take the chance with 1st round pick...

So Panthers will start up front and improve the OL for when the time comes we find that special someone in a QB he will be well protected....

With the 6th pick-Panthers select ---Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa. 

Falcons @GunnerBill are on the clock.

They have only one quality OL-Taylor Moton at RT. So you select a RT? It’s like me selecting an edge for the Bills in the 1st. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

They have only one quality OL-Taylor Moton at RT. So you select a RT? It’s like me selecting an edge for the Bills in the 1st. 

You're SADLY mistaken my fine feathered friend....You must have him confused with another player I guess? That or you're just got it dead wrong.. but here ya go...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/20/nfl-draft-final-big-board-top-262

17. Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (rSR, 6'7", 325 pounds)

Penning plays to the echo of the whistle and has the tenacity and nasty demeanor that will endear him to his coaches. He has prototypical size and length, outstanding strength and athletic feet. While he has primarily started at left tackle (31 of 33 starts) and could succeed there at the next level, he may be even better on the right side

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You mean RT...info I linked it says he played LT 31 of 33 games. So not sure why that poster assumed I didn't know what I was doing lol

No I meant LT. There are people who project him as only a RT in the NFL. I think they are wrong and you are right. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You're SADLY mistaken my fine feathered friend....You must have him confused with another player I guess? That or you're just got it dead wrong.. but here ya go...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/20/nfl-draft-final-big-board-top-262

17. Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (rSR, 6'7", 325 pounds)

Penning plays to the echo of the whistle and has the tenacity and nasty demeanor that will endear him to his coaches. He has prototypical size and length, outstanding strength and athletic feet. While he has primarily started at left tackle (31 of 33 starts) and could succeed there at the next level, he may be even better on the right side

He is a mauler not a technician and played at a lower level at Iowa state. Projecting him as a starting LT in the NFL ahead of Charles Cross who is head and shoulders above everyone else in pass protection and played in the SEC is daft. At best it’s a Massive reach (even that quote has him at 17)

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

He is a mauler not a technician and played at a lower level at Iowa state. Projecting him as a starting LT in the NFL ahead of Charles Cross who is head and shoulders above everyone else in pass protection and played in the SEC is daft. At best it’s a Massive reach.

Yeah I still think you're either way wrong or confused. You said he was a RT, I showed you he played LT.  One of Panthers biggest needs is LT. He also is ranked as one of the better LT. 

Hence the reason I selected him. With 2 of the top LT already off the board when I picked, I went with the one with the extra size. Not sure where you are getting your info but may want to take a 2nd look 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I still think you're either way wrong or confused. You said he was a RT, I showed you he played LT.  One of Panthers biggest needs is LT. He also is ranked as one of the better LT. 

Hence the reason I selected him. Not sure where you are getting your info but may want to take a 2nd look 

Fair enough. We simply disagree. I see lots of draft people are crazy about his demeanor but for me he constantly gets mocked way too high.

I get that he played LT at a level where his athleticism was unchallenged and he could dominate. If you think that translates to immediate starter in the NFL then I will say it’s possible but unlikely. At Carolina he would have no decent IOL to help him inside and wouldn’t be facing big 12 edges. He is a much safer projection to RT. And it’s still a big reach with a better player on the board.

17 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

He is a mauler not a technician and played at a lower level at Iowa state. Projecting him as a starting LT in the NFL ahead of Charles Cross who is head and shoulders above everyone else in pass protection and played in the SEC is daft. At best it’s a Massive reach (even that quote has him at 17)

I agree I wouldn't take him before Charles Cross who I have as OT1, but Penning is going to be able to play LT in the NFL. Depending on who drafts him he could well start at RT as a rookie but long term he can play LT. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Fair enough. We simply disagree. I see lots of draft people are crazy about his demeanor but for me he constantly gets mocked way too high.

I get that he played LT at a level where his athleticism was unchallenged and he could dominate. If you think that translates to immediate starter in the NFL then I will say it’s possible but unlikely. At Carolina he would have no decent IOL to help him inside and wouldn’t be facing big 12 edges. He is a much safer projection to RT. And it’s still a big reach with a better player on the board.

My concern when I watch the tape on Penning is how many times I am like that would be a quick flag in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My concern when I watch the tape on Penning is how many times I am like that would be a quick flag in the NFL.  

Good players from small schools succeed in the NFL. Maybe Penning will. I just think at lower levels if you are dominant your tape is obviously going to pop, so praise should be taken with a pinch of salt when moving to the NFL. Run game translates well but PP will be a huge jump for him. We saw it with Spencer Brown this past season. At 6 it’s risky.

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

Good players from small schools succeed in the NFL. Maybe Penning will. I just think at lower levels if you are dominant your tape is obviously going to pop, so praise should be taken with a pinch of salt when moving to the NFL. Run game translates well but PP will be a huge jump for him. We saw it with Spencer Brown this past season. At 6 it’s risky.

Wasn't risky at all to me. The LT's I had #1 and #2 both came off board so after that looking at the LT's that were left and going back and forth which one, I went with 6ft7 325. 

He's a beast of a player and can be coached up to a fine LT

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.