Deebo Samuel tells 49ers not to offer extension because he wants to be traded

Big Turk

weird because i initially thought this was 100% money... but Schefter was implying he was unhappy with the way he was being used as well.

normally WR's cry about not getting the ball, dude had 1400 yds, and a ton of carries. i think hes somewhat acknowledging theyre running his body into the ground.

wonder if hes worried about losing his OC to the dolphins to? weird situation to ask for no extension

• Dislike 1

If he's treated as a wide receiver, that will increase his longevity.  He takes a beating as a RB.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up a Jet.  They have the draft capital.  They tried to get Tyreek, so Deebo would be a nice consolation.  If Deebo wants to be closer to home, eastern US, NY will suit.  

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Don't see us as a viable option but it's possible he wants to go to a place that gives him a chance to play in the way he wants on a somewhat prove it deal.

I thought he wanted a big payday..

27 minutes ago, TBBills said:

The guy has one good year...

That got Watson 230 million guaranteed...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I thought he wanted a big payday..

It's been reported that he doesn't want to be stuck in the same role he has been. If he's wanting to prove he's a #1 WR he might be interested in some sort of prove it deal with a team willing to let him fill that role. Still doesn't fit us though.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's been reported that he doesn't want to be stuck in the same role he has been. If he's wanting to prove he's a #1 WR he might be interested in some sort of prove it deal with a team willing to let him fill that role. Still doesn't fit us though.

His narrative of being run into the ground is a bit melodramatic.  He averaged 3.7 carries per game.  11 QBs had more than that--Taylor Heinicke was one of them...

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His narrative of being run into the ground is a bit melodramatic.  He averaged 3.7 carries per game.  11 QBs had more than that--Taylor Heinicke was one of them...

The use from the backfield didn't really start to become a regular thing until the second half of the 2021 season.

In his last 8 games he had 53 carries.......6.6 per game.

Then in the playoffs he had 27 carries in 3 games.........9 per game.

Also remember that flip passes from the backfield don't even count as carries but still see the player having to negotiate DL and LB level collisions.

The guy thinks he's a potential $30M aav talent........and 1400 yards receiving is pretty elite so maybe he is right..........and doesn't want his organization to think it's ok for him to be used like a $4M aav RB.

Taylor Heinicke is a scrub who needs to produce something on the ground to be on the field.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, but his workload increased late in the year and he was getting routinely nicked up during that time.

Plus many times QBs are getting some extra protection versus he was pounding the ball right out of the backfield.

Looking long term for his career - he wants to nip this now and I think he is pretty sure Shanahan’s offense will migrate back to that as needed.

It is about money and his long term ability to earn WR money.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes, but his workload increased late in the year and he was getting routinely nicked up during that time.

Plus many times QBs are getting some extra protection versus he was pounding the ball right out of the backfield.

Looking long term for his career - he wants to nip this now and I think he is pretty sure Shanahan’s offense will migrate back to that as needed.

It is about money and his long term ability to earn WR money.

Even with “more protection”, Josh Allen, with runs, sacks and WB hits was put on the ground while running or otherwise NOT receiving, over 210 times last year. 

As others have pointed out, Samuels value, whether he likes it or not, is now as a dual threat WR.  Any team he goes to will expect the same from him as Shanahan did.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even with “more protection”, Josh Allen, with runs, sacks and WB hits was put on the ground while running or otherwise NOT receiving, over 210 times last year. 

As others have pointed out, Samuels value, whether he likes it or not, is now as a dual threat WR.  Any team he goes to will expect the same from him as Shanahan did.

And he is telling teams that like it or not - if you do not treat him as a WR only - He will not signing long term with you because someone will use him as a WR only.

I think he purposely put the statement out that it isn’t the contract - it is the usage.  Therefore a team like the Jets with former SF coaches may want him, but he is letting teams know - I am not going to do that.

It is a bad look, but it is his option and I think the point he was making was trying to warn certain other teams away.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

And he is telling teams that like it or not - if you do not treat him as a WR only - He will not signing long term with you because someone will use him as a WR only.

I think he purposely put the statement out that it isn’t the contract - it is the usage.  Therefore a team like the Jets with former SF coaches may want him, but he is letting teams know - I am not going to do that.

It is a bad look, but it is his option and I think the point he was making was trying to warn certain other teams away.

Weird that if this is the issue they couldnt work something out. Express your concerns (which i think are valid), ask to keep it under a certain number per game, or limit them to red zone.  Seems dumb to let 1400 receiving yards out the door for 350 rushing yards.

Edit: looking at his stat line he had 8 rushing Tds. Anybody watch him enough to know if most of those carries were coming in RZ?

13 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Weird that if this is the issue they couldnt work something out. Express your concerns (which i think are valid), ask to keep it under a certain number per game, or limit them to red zone.  Seems dumb to let 1400 receiving yards out the door for 350 rushing yards.

Edit: looking at his stat line he had 8 rushing Tds. Anybody watch him enough to know if most of those carries were coming in RZ?

No, a lot of them were outside...dude was a fantastic runner when he had the ball.

EDIT: take that back...it looks like half were from inside the redzone and the others were from inside the 30.

https://youtu.be/LO60pr5UmOI

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.