Isiah McKenzie as a Returner

Warcodered

Saw this highlight that got posted of McKenzie that had several of his returns even some that got called back.

How many mistakes did he really make as a returner in a year where we seemed to play in a lot of crappy weather?

I think he's getting more of a shot at the slot this year, but he really does have upside as a returner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Saw this highlight that got posted of McKenzie that had several of his returns even some that got called back.

How many mistakes did he really make as a returner in a year where we seemed to play in a lot of crappy weather?

I think he's getting more of a shot at the slot this year, but he really does have upside as a returner.

I know it was a long time ago but Denver cut McKenzie almost entirely because of his fumbles during return. Some guys just can’t handle it.

2 minutes ago, Mcdermott said:

I know it was a long time ago but Denver cut McKenzie almost entirely because of his fumbles during return. Some guys just can’t handle it.

His one fumble in the past few years was a flukey non contact fumble..him have some fumbling issue is TOTALLY overblown.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don’t think he gets a real shot unless something changes.  He has some talent as a punt returner, but he was frankly bad at Kickoffs with multiple fumbles including a time he was not even hit.  A few bursts that were huge, but the mistakes were way more costly.

He also let to many punts and even kick offs hit the ground without getting to them.

I did not want to see him returning kicks last year and he did little to make me say - we gotta put this guy back there again.

Rather see a battle with a draft pick and Stevenson and if the Rookie wins - Stevenson maybe looking at a PS position because Stevenson was not impressive either - especially as a punt returner.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think he gets a real shot unless something changes.  He has some talent as a punt returner, but he was frankly bad at Kickoffs with multiple fumbles including a time he was not even hit.  A few bursts that were huge, but the mistakes were way more costly.

He also let to many punts and even kick offs hit the ground without getting to them.

I did not want to see him returning kicks last year and he did little to make me say - we gotta put this guy back there again.

Rather see a battle with a draft pick and Stevenson and if the Rookie wins - Stevenson maybe looking at a PS position because Stevenson was not impressive either - especially as a punt returner.

By multiple fumbles do you mean 2?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

By multiple fumbles do you mean 2?

Yes 2 on 24 kick returns - so a rate of over 8% of kick off returns he fumbled last year.

You combine that with his 6 fumbles as a rookie and 4 more the next year - almost all on special teams and perhaps there is an issue.

It was an issue that cost him his job in Denver and got him benched with miscues last year.  

I would much prefer to let him focus on being a WR and find someone else that can handle the special teams aspect with fewer issues.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes 2 on 24 kick returns - so a rate of over 8% of kick off returns he fumbled last year.

You combine that with his 6 fumbles as a rookie and 4 more the next year - almost all on special teams and perhaps there is an issue.

It was an issue that cost him his job in Denver and got him benched with miscues last year.  

I would much prefer to let him focus on being a WR and find someone else that can handle the special teams aspect with fewer issues.

Or maybe, they can use him on kick returns by having someone lateral the ball to him.  Kind of like a homerun throwback, if you will.

Still too soon?

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You know who had 3 fumbles this year, and hell had 3 the year before? Andre Roberts.

All pro both those years and Pro Bowl as well in 2020.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, StHustle said:

His one fumble in the past few years was a flukey non contact fumble..him have some fumbling issue is TOTALLY overblown.

When you fumble 6 times in a regular season on only like 275 yards of return production........and a bunch more in the preseason....as McKenzie did in 2017.........you are always going to have a short leash.

That figure is almost inconceivable.......one of the most epic fumbling seasons in NFL history.

For perspective........last year only 1 of the top 100 KOR'ers even fumbled more than once(Byron Pringle with 2).........and in TOTAL there were only 20 fumbled kickoff returns all season.

And McKenzie has never had less than 2 fumbles in a regular season so he must have fumbled after one of his scant few WR catches last year too.

And he also had a fumble on a punt return in the preseason against Chicago last year which naturally caused pause given his history.

He is an ADVENTURE catching kicks.........the ball hits his body like a brick.........go back and watch the punt return TD he had against the Dolphins in week 17 that opened the door for him to get some return work against the Bills better judgement.......he BOBBLED that catch too.

For 24 yards per KOR and 7.7 per PR the juice isn't worth the risk of turning the ball over and that's why McD benched him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Letting punts hit was pretty much Hyde's modus operandi. It seems to me Mckenzie is not changing his ball security technique or something else the coaches are concerned about and that's leading to the quick pull.

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You know who had 3 fumbles this year, and hell had 3 the year before? Andre Roberts.

All pro both those years and Pro Bowl as well in 2020.

Yes he had 3 fumbles on nearly 140 returns - a fumble rate of about 2%.

On that number of returns at his rate - McKenzie would of had 11 fumbles.  The difference is the Bills pulled him and benched him early - when the pattern re-emerged.

As an aside - with limited returns - a 2-3 % fumble loss rate is about normal for returns (1-3 per year) and an 8% rate on kick-offs means you need to replace that guy.

His Punt return average was not horrible - although I believe he had 2 balls on punt returns that he fumbled along the sidelines out of bounds during the season and a third in the playoffs that slide out of bounds.  Those were not lost.

Edited by Rochesterfan

11 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Letting punts hit was pretty much Hyde's modus operandi. It seems to me Mckenzie is not changing his ball security technique or something else the coaches are concerned about and that's leading to the quick pull.

I think the Bills staff knew it was an issue in Denver.  It was an issue here after the Bills picked him up in year 1 (after cutting Ray Ray McCloud because of his difficulties handling kicks).  

Also reading training camp notes - it was an issue in training camp with dropped kicks and mis judgement of the ball.

Then there were fumbles lost and additional balls on the ground that slide out of bounds - so the Bills pulled the plug.  

47 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually it's 2 on 43 returns or 1 on 24 returns, which would be more like 4%

I mean I prefer the edge of your seat returns by Stevenson where he runs into his own blockers every time and ends up in crazy positions when he gets tackled and you hold your breath hoping he doesn't fumble, then afterward on replay wonder how the hell he held onto the ball.

Edited by Big Turk

He’s just so much more valuable as a slot/speed/jet sweep guy imo. 

Yeah he busts out some big returns but I don’t like boom/bust players in that role. In that respect the 2 years of Andre Roberts we had were perfect. He practically always caught the ball and always turned it into 10 yards and sometimes a bit more. 

I’d much (MUCH) rather have a boring dependable returner that occasionally busts a long one than an exciting one where I’m clenching my ####### tight the moment the ball flies into the air. I don’t want another Leodis McKelvin back there, ever. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I was surprised when I saw  him back there as a returner to start the game against NE in the wild card… only to fumble it yet again(thankfully the ball went OOB).

Interesting you bring this fumble up. I was watching a replay of that game a while back (and even when I saw it live) where I remember thinking we really dodged a bullet there. I still think we would’ve won that game, but could’ve really taken the wind out of our sails early and either kept them in it or kept it closer for longer. Hard to really gripe about it knowing how dominant the team was that day, but really fortunate that went out of bounds. None of us want to relive any McKelvin-like returning moments in a big game against the cheats. 

Edited by TheProcess

Maybe they draft a WR who has return experience.  But even if they do, will they want to put a rookie back there doing it?

Once they signed Crowder, IMO not so sure McKenzie's role chances much from what he did last season.

So by default McKenzie may be main return guy.  Only other choice likely would be Stevenson.  Not sure he even makes the roster though if they do draft a rookie. WR high.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep… he should never return punts/kicks  on this team again… but I believe he was out there for kick offs the following week against KC.

Yeah, you can count me in the “let him focus on being a WR” camp. I’m hoping that Stephenson makes a leap there this off-season and/or they try to address it in the draft. At least make it a competition. Best guy gets the job. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.