We don't know when, but we know who the Bills will play during the 2022 season.

tomur67

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I reported my own post stating as much (broken) 

I find the search feature quite useful but when I openly state that it seems to upset people 

I swear there was a thread about podcasts on OTW.  Searching for it got no results, so I did a search for "marvel" since there's a thread on the first page, and even that came back as no results.  

All that aside, I think it's legit to wonder why we are going to KC a third straight year.  I know home/away flips when you play a division again, so the next time we play the AFC West KC is coming here.  We pulled KC again two more years by virtue of both of us finishing first in our divisions.  I would think that would alternate too?  Apparently not?

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I want to know is when do we get to play KC at home 3 straight years? When does that sequence activate?

Potentially, that would be 2024, 2025 & 2026. The Bills play an undetermined AFC West opponent at home in '24 & '25, and they play the Chiefs at home in '26.

Oh, and the Bills play the Chiefs in Kansas City AGAIN, in 2023.

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I want to know is when do we get to play KC at home 3 straight years? When does that sequence activate?

In the regular season it will only be two straight years. 2021 and 2022. In 2020 we played them at home. It has been three years in a row in Tennessee. Win in 2019, losses in 2020 and 2021. We finally get them in Buffalo this year. 

The least fair bit of the NFL schedule IMO is the in conference matchups against same placed teams in divisions. Because for home and away they work in two year blocks. 

So for example this year our matched Division is the AFC North. The next two seasons we will only play 1 AFC North team based on finishing position. Both of those games will be on the road. The last two years when we have also played only 1 AFC North team based on finishing postion both of those games were at home. But you cannot tell me playing at home to Pittsburgh the last two years is equivalent advantage to the disadvantage they could face playing the next two years on the road against the Bengals. Of course we play the Bengals on the road this year as well because we played them at home the last time we faced the AFC North as a division. So if we both win our divisions the next two years we will play at Cincinnati three years in a row. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

All that aside, I think it's legit to wonder why we are going to KC a third straight year.  I know home/away flips when you play a division again, so the next time we play the AFC West KC is coming here.  We pulled KC again two more years by virtue of both of us finishing first in our divisions.  I would think that would alternate too?  Apparently not?

yeah I don’t think there’s a rule regarding the divisional placement games; the schedule makers probably use those 3 games more than any others to create some flexibility.

edit: gunner has it right above as far as those off-division “placement” games go.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Nope. They work in two year blocks. So after we next play the AFCW - 2024, when we will be at Kansas City for a third year running - we will then have home advantage for two years running in the divisional placement meetings against the West. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Right so in 3 years we'll again play the AFC North teams, but not the same NFC North teams that same year.  So only every 12 years, would we play the same identical schedule. My prior post I said every 20 years, but is really every 12.

I’m sorry if you can’t look at the last 3 seasons and then look ahead to figure out over 80% of the scheduled

opponents 

Their is a site out there called "Johnny Road Trip" that gives you future schedules for a few years out. Here is the 2023 Buffalo Bills opponents for example.

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC South TBD

NFC South TBD

Away

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North TBD

Washington Commanders

13 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

in 4 seasons we play the same NFC division again

and every 3 the same AFC division again

the formula hasn’t changed in eons beyond the 17th game 

The only variables are the two other AFC teams we face as the Chiefs and Titans this year as well as the Rams for the 17th game.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The least fair bit of the NFL schedule IMO is the in conference matchups against same placed teams in divisions. Because for home and away they work in two year blocks.

Thank you, I never realized the whole two-year block thing.  Why would the NFL even do it that way after making it a point to alternate home/away when playing a division?

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Their is a site out there called "Johnny Road Trip" that gives you future schedules for a few years out. Here is the 2023 Buffalo Bills opponents for example.

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC South TBD

NFC South TBD

Away

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North TBD

Washington Commanders

I like this schedule better than the 2022 one haha. The Bills are good now so it barely matters, but I could see 15 wins on that schedule. 

Just now, The Red King said:

Thank you, I never realized the whole two-year block thing.  Why would the NFL even do it that way after making it a point to alternate home/away when playing a division?

I don't know. There must be a reason why it works better for them that way but I've never seen it explained. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Rather large variables as every 4 years repeats for same conference teams, but every 5th 4th year for other conference.  So only completely mostly (14 of 17 games) repeats itself every 12 years.  Believe that holds true now even with the 17th game thrown in.

Formerly 2, now 3 of the games are based on where you finished.  The two in-conference divisions you don't match with you play the team with the same finish place.  That's how NE was playing Indy and later KC nearly every year.  

The new extra out of conference game is also against a team with the same divisional placement.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.