RIP Daryle Lamonica

Greg S

5 hours ago, MJS said:

"Lamonica was an All-Pro again in 1969 when he led the AFL with 3,302 yards passing and 34 touchdowns. The 34 TDs still stand as the franchise’s single-season record more than a half-century later."

Those stats are good even today. Amazing.

Yeah.  Lamonica tossed 34 TDs in 1969.   NFL MVP, Roman Gabriel, was the next best pro QB that year with 24 TDs.  HOFer Fran Tarkenton threw 23.  It wasn't close.

Lamonica threw 2.4 TDs/game, leading his team to a 12-1-1 record back when RBs were still kings of the gridiron.  That year, in fact, a RB (named OJ) was the first pick in the draft.   5 RBs were drafted in the first round in 1969 versus 2 QBs.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

How many front office personnel should be fired for passing on him so many times?

My comment was more directed toward just the fact that it was 23 + rounds long.  Who are they drafting, the 3rd string punter or something.    Admittedly was a different situation as no free agency, so these players you had long term unless cut or traded.  On the other hand some amazing players drop to the 23rd round like Lamonica.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's actually not 100% true

The person with the Billy Shaw username was not Billy Shaw 

I saw a lot of people ask him and he told me himself he was not.. so that's one at least 

I do know there were some ex bills on the site but the Billy Shaw told me he wasn't him

Who said he wasn't who? Him?

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm definitely NOT Billy Shaw.  However, I've been using his photo as my avatar for so long that now when I see it, I think it's a picture of me.  

😅  Are you occasionally startled when you look in the mirror to shave?

Does your wife recognize you as yourself or as Billy Shaw?

6 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Keeping Lamonica and trading Kemp certainly would have been controversial.  Kemp was coming off two AFL titles and three straight AFL East crowns. Belichick certainly trades Kemp and keeps Lamonica but it's a different age.  Plus the Wilson loan to the Raiders and Lamonica causing "locker room" issues, who knows exactly what was behind the trade.  Both Powell and Flores were done by the time they got to Buffalo.  In hindsight, it's the worst trade in Bills history.   

Are you the real Pete Gogolak? If so, how's Charlie doing?

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

How many front office personnel should be fired for passing on him so many times?

23rd round! That kinda puts the Brady 6th round thing in a new perspective.

I'm fairly old but I don't remember Lamonica as a Bill.

I do remember him as a Raider though. One of my most memorable early NFL games was a Chiefs-Raiders game in around 1971 or so. Len Dawson vs Daryle Lamonica. Bombs away. Biletnikoff was playing for the Raiders as was Marv Hubbard, Raymond Chester, Jack Tatum, George Atkinson, Ben Davidson.

The Chiefs had Otis Taylor, Buck Buchanan, Willie Lanier, Ed Podolak, Bobby Bell, Jim Lynch, Jim Tyrer, Curly Culp, Marvin Upshaw... there must have been 7-8 future Hall of Famers in that game. The two greatest franchises in AFL history, the black and silver versus the red, the unis were beautiful. Even as a 10 year old I was transfixed in front of the TV. I knew even then I was watching a great football game.

RIP Daryle. You were awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My comment was more directed toward just the fact that it was 23 + rounds long.  Who are they drafting, the 3rd string punter or something.    Admittedly was a different situation as no free agency, so these players you had long term unless cut or traded.  On the other hand some amazing players drop to the 23rd round like Lamonica.

There basically almost drafted every position .. including multiple flankers and running backs.. multiple offensive lineman and defensive lineman

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah not sure how many people know that but it was him.

Wow I didn’t realize that was actually him. He was probably the most knowledgeable poster over there. Amazing QB and even better human. Prayers to him and his family.

Edited by BillsfaninChicago

8 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I think the coach was Lou Saban?

Slightly before my time (I was 9 months old when they won their second AFL Championship), but I think the coach in question was Joe Collier. He was Saban's D-coordinator during the championship seasons.  Ralph hired him at 33, then the youngest coach ever in pro-football- Of course, he looked closer to 63...but people just looked older back then!

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Didn't even think of that. Even more impressive.

That's 4,400 yards and 45 TD's if it were a 16 game season. That's incredible. Defenses were allowed to play back then and QB's were beaten into the turf.

It was a 14 game regular season in 1969. The AFL always played 14 games since its inception.  The NFL played a 12 game schedule from 1947-1960.  The NFL went to 14 games in 1961.  

In 1978 the now merged NFL went to a 16 game regular season schedule 8 years after merger. 

Edited by freddyjj

12 hours ago, Greg S said:

Per WFAN in NY. He was 80. 

Unfortunately I didn’t get to see The Bomber as a Buffalo Bill.  Vaguely recall him as a Raider.  I remember Blanda more because I remember one Raiders season in the early 70s where Blanda won several games in the last minute, both as a kicker and a QB.

11 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Kemp was more or less the Man , but whenever he stumbled , Lamonica would get the call. Joel Collier was the coach. Who made the decision to trade him? not sure .. maybe it was Ralph 

When in doubt, always best to blame Ralph.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

When in doubt, always best to blame Ralph.

In this case i do believe he played a part because i believe Harvey Johnson was a GM  in name only.. i could be wrong. but one got the impression after Saban left it was because of his inability to get along with Ralph. I am not a guy who historically would "blame Ralph" as was prevalent back then, just an assumption in this situation.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Strictly from a one-move basis..........trading the Mahomes pick to KC was worse.

There is no guarantee that Buffalo wouldn't have become a bad team with Lamonica as the roster aged out...........it wasn't nearly as much of a QB driven league then and even so, Lamonica never won a SB.

Mahomes has won a SB............and it's technically harder to do that now than it was pre-expansion in Lamonica's days...........and Mahomes directly blocked the Bills from advancing in the playoffs and likely the SB twice already.    

But both trades are examples of why you should never risk giving a conference rival a tremendous QB prospect.

Yeah, I hear ya, but I still think there’s a hell of a lot of 20/20 hindsight that goes on with respect to Mahomes and how “can’t miss” of a prospect he was.

I’ll reserve judgment on how the Bills and Chiefs fared from that trade at the end of Allen’s and Mahomes’ careers, not now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.