RIP Daryle Lamonica

Greg S

1 hour ago, Bills1961 said:

loved him... made the Bills look like they were clueless on that trade - RIP Mad Bomber

“We don’t throw long because we got Lamonica. We got Lamonica because we throw long.”

- Al Davis

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm definitely NOT Billy Shaw.  However, I've been using his photo as my avatar for so long that now when I see it, I think it's a picture of me.  

Billy Shaw was special.  He'd fill the OG hole in a hurry!

I mean, you'd be earning serious alumni brownie points for all the added effort.

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm definitely NOT Billy Shaw.  However, I've been using his photo as my avatar for so long that now when I see it, I think it's a picture of me.  

Billy Shaw was special.  He'd fill the OG hole in a hurry!

Shaw and Joe D would make us ferocious!

The Lamonica trade didn't work out, but it wasn't foolish on paper.  I'm pretty sure three players went each way.  I don't remember them all, but the Bills got Tom Flores, who'd been a solid QB in the league, and Art Powell, who was the talent the Bills really wanted.  Guy was an absolute stud receiver.   In seven seasons in Oakland, playing 12 and 14 game seasons, he went over 1000 yards, well over, five times.   

When he got to Buffalo Powell disappeared overnight.  Flores never produced.  And Lamonica took off.  In retrospect, Bills history changed with that trade.  With Lamonica at QB, the Bills never would have had a couple of horrible late-60s teams, and they never would have drafted OJ.  

RIP, Daryl.  Never will forgot you.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's actually not 100% true

The person with the Billy Shaw username was not Billy Shaw 

I saw a lot of people ask him and he told me himself he was not.. so that's one at least 

I do know there were some ex bills on the site but the Billy Shaw told me he wasn't him

i believe it was to certify they are the real person like if Billy Shaw was really Billy Shaw he needed to cert that he was the real deal.

EX: If I want to be Gary Marangi username i don't need to cert. I of course should then point out i am not the real deal.

correct me if i am wrong anyone.........

I was a baby during the Bills' AFL Championship days so I am not old enough to remember Mr. Lamonica's playing days but I remember my dad telling us about him and watching his cannon of an arm in old AFL highlight reels. Dad was a big fan of his and would have been 80 himself this December. Sad on a couple of levels for me. R.I.P., 'Mad Bomber'.

• Like (+1) 5

Keeping Lamonica and trading Kemp certainly would have been controversial.  Kemp was coming off two AFL titles and three straight AFL East crowns. Belichick certainly trades Kemp and keeps Lamonica but it's a different age.  Plus the Wilson loan to the Raiders and Lamonica causing "locker room" issues, who knows exactly what was behind the trade.  Both Powell and Flores were done by the time they got to Buffalo.  In hindsight, it's the worst trade in Bills history.   

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's actually not 100% true

The person with the Billy Shaw username was not Billy Shaw 

I saw a lot of people ask him and he told me himself he was not.. so that's one at least 

I do know there were some ex bills on the site but the Billy Shaw told me he wasn't him

I’m not Booby Chandler#81. Neither is the other Bobby Chandler#81 here. We’d be dead if we were..😳

2 hours ago, Clark Rotary said:

One last time: “We want Lamonica!!!”

WE WANT LAMONICA!!

1 hour ago, eball said:

Worst trade in Bills history, right?  That's what my dad always said.

Strictly from a one-move basis..........trading the Mahomes pick to KC was worse.

There is no guarantee that Buffalo wouldn't have become a bad team with Lamonica as the roster aged out...........it wasn't nearly as much of a QB driven league then and even so, Lamonica never won a SB.

Mahomes has won a SB............and it's technically harder to do that now than it was pre-expansion in Lamonica's days...........and Mahomes directly blocked the Bills from advancing in the playoffs and likely the SB twice already.    

But both trades are examples of why you should never risk giving a conference rival a tremendous QB prospect.

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

12 game season I think

Didn't even think of that. Even more impressive.

That's 4,400 yards and 45 TD's if it were a 16 game season. That's incredible. Defenses were allowed to play back then and QB's were beaten into the turf.

• Like (+1) 1

The Lamonica trade was symptomatic of the malaise the Bills franchise has suffered for most of its existence. He wasn't good enough for us, but immediately upon his arrival in Oakland, he took the Raiders to the SB. I don't even know what we got in return, but that had to be our worst trade ever. He was clearly better than Jack Kemp too.

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

Didn't even think of that. Even more impressive.

That's 4,400 yards and 45 TD's if it were a 16 game season. That's incredible. Defenses were allowed to play back then and QB's were beaten into the turf.

It was 6 preseason games and 14 regular season games.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.