NFL schedule release: May 12th 8pm

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't know about the Thanksgiving game, but the idea of Miami opening in Buffalo Week 1 doesn't seem to follow the NFL trend since the NFL released the Bills at home against the Titans in Week 2. 

Usually, the NFL alternates the first two weeks between road and home games. So in my mind, with the NFL releasing the Bills' game at home in Week 2, it means the Bills are on the road in Week 1. But, that's just my opinion.

I Just took a look at the 2021 schedule and there were only 4 teams that started the season Home,Home. 2020 there was not one team. So I’m thinking most likely on the road.. but back to back Primetime games would surprise me a bit to start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

So four teams with huge fan bases have had more primetime games than us in the last couple of years and you’re concerned we aren’t getting enough respect?

If yoy think we don't a huge fan base, you're nuts. And we're actually a bigger market than the Packers are

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Prove that.

You don't know that these teams, especially The Cowboys and Packers max out on primetime games every year? The NFL already proves it. I don't need to

41 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't know about the Thanksgiving game, but the idea of Miami opening in Buffalo Week 1 doesn't seem to follow the NFL trend since the NFL released the Bills at home against the Titans in Week 2. 

Usually, the NFL alternates the first two weeks between road and home games. So in my mind, with the NFL releasing the Bills' game at home in Week 2, it means the Bills are on the road in Week 1. But, that's just my opinion.

That is not true. The only year the NFL intentionally alternated week 1/2 home away was 2020 because of COVID so if they had to cancel games it would balance. Bills opened at home two straight in 2015 IND/NE and were on the road two straight in 2019 NYJ/NYG. Yes the NFL does try to be fair so teams dont open every year on the road, but some teams have opened on the road a bunch and others home. Remember some stadiums have concerts and other events that automatically bump week 1 out and sometimes teams will ask to open on the road for something else later in the season.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Gambling revenue.  You get more action having two games at once on Monday instead of nine at once on Sunday.  You'll eventually have two MNF games every week.  It will be interesting to see when they push it into Tuesday night.

I guess that's possible considering the Saints played two straight Thursday night games last year.  I can't recall a time besides that though where a team ever been scheduled for two TNF games in a row.

With ABC and ESPN owned and run and spending huge money - they are looking for exactly this - multiple games to ensure getting viewers on each game.  

The Monday night games have been bad for a while and adding games increases the chance on 1 game hitting and allowing them to push advertisement dollars to either game.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If yoy think we don't a huge fan base, you're nuts. And we're actually a bigger market than the Packers are

You don't know that these teams, especially The Cowboys and Packers max out on primetime games every year? The NFL already proves it. I don't need to

We had the same amount as the Bears last year lol and 1 less than the Packers and Cowboys.

It must be hard to keep up “the NFL hates the Bills!” Narrative.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

That is not true. The only year the NFL intentionally alternated week 1/2 home away was 2020 because of COVID so if they had to cancel games it would balance. Bills opened at home two straight in 2015 IND/NE and were on the road two straight in 2019 NYJ/NYG. Yes the NFL does try to be fair so teams dont open every year on the road, but some teams have opened on the road a bunch and others home. Remember some stadiums have concerts and other events that automatically bump week 1 out and sometimes teams will ask to open on the road for something else later in the season.

So to update my above post to number of teams who started with back to back games at home

2018-3

2019-4

2020-0

2021-4

It’s not impossible and the odds have improved knowing week 2 is at home. Other than that I have no more relvelant information. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, corta765 said:

There was a season years ago, I think around 2010, that the Bills home opener was the 3rd week of the season. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

There was a season years ago, I think around 2010, that the Bills home opener was the 3rd week of the season. 

2019 Cincy week 3 and your right 2006 at NE week 1 at Miami week 2 home NYJ week 3. Going back to 2003 those are the only two years, its rare but it happens. 2019 I will say opening two weeks in NYC wasn't that bad.

From a fan standpoint (me), nothing beats the 1PM Sunday grind.  If I got to choose, I would see a wall of 1PM Sunday tomorrow evening.

I fully expect the Bills to be pretty much maxed out on primetime and exclusive window games at this point.  Allen and co are considered must-watch TV for NFL fans.  They havent won yet, so are still well-liked outside of Buffalo.  Im sure a lot of people will be adopting Buffalo as their '2nd team' if they havent already.  Lots of fantasy implications.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can anyone explain why the NFL is doing this stupid phased release thing? I know they want to dominate the sports news agenda every week but has it really got to the point where they have to have "breaking NFL news" every day?

Tiresome. 

Because fan bases have 12 page threads in anticipation of the schedule release. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can anyone explain why the NFL is doing this stupid phased release thing? I know they want to dominate the sports news agenda every week but has it really got to the point where they have to have "breaking NFL news" every day?

Tiresome. 

Because they know we (the fans) go crazy for it. Who do we open the season against? How many primetime games do we get? When do we play our rivals? People plan road trips off the schedule. You never see this stuff when the other leagues release their schedules. When the Sabres schedule gets released for next season people will look at it and then forget it 30 seconds later.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Because they know we (the fans) go crazy for it. Who do we open the season against? How many primetime games do we get? When do we play our rivals? People plan road trips off the schedule. You never see this stuff when the other leagues release their schedules. When the Sabres schedule gets released for next season people will look at it and then forget it 30 seconds later.

I get why the schedule release is a thing. I don't get why it needs to be drip fed over 4 or 5 days.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.