End of the Dline rotation???

Hebert19

1 hour ago, Mikie's Bills said:

This. I don't want him playing over 50% of the snaps against the teams like the Jets and Pats. 

he was brought in for about 5 critical games per year in the regular season, and the playoffs. Whatever it takes for him to be as ready to roll in all those games.

Personally, I think the D-line rotation is going to be fiercer than ever. In fact, if we were going to have an early “bold predictions” thread, I might predict that a) we will once again have 11 defensive linemen on the 53, and b) there won’t be one of them with more than eight sacks, but the Bills D will be top five overall in sacks in the NFL. Which would be cool…

Check the DL snap counts when McD was Carolina DC.  Kawann Short and Charles Johnson were frequently over 70%, but it didn't mean they lacked the rotation McD insists on.  Now that he's a HC that rotation is as much a guarantee as ever.  Their UFA signings this season reinforces it.  

Except next season Josh's deal kicks in and there's no way they can keep spending on non-pass rush types.  Stands to reason they'll use more draft picks on DL to keep the rotation alive.  

At some point, the DL spending and picks will keep inhibiting the offense's and how this team wins games...Josh's arm. 

I hope we can run an effective rotation. I hope all four of the backups look great.

We need an effective DL to win that Super Bowl. We need Von to be a Star…. We need the young DEs to be a lot better this year….

We need the new DTs to both stop the run and force the QB deep so the ends can hit them…. We need a functional defensive line.

I sure hope to see more rotation.  55-65% of the snaps for von vs the good teams. 25-55% vs the non contenders.  Hopefully sitting the 2nd half of a few blowout wins.

healthy for the playoffs is all I care about when talking about von.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

End of the Dline rotation???

So listening to Von Miller's presser today he loves to play and will likely want at least 70 percent of snaps.  I feel like Ed Oliver plays better the more he plays and Rosseau is a every down type of DE...so do we move a little away from the rotation this year?

If I had a vote it would be yes.  Ha. 

More von and Ed and then rotate the others. 

There'll be a rotation as long as McDermott is here.

As usual, some guys will get a few more snaps, some a few less.

IMO at Miller's age they'll sit him a lot during the regular season.

8 hours ago, Mikie's Bills said:

This. I don't want him playing over 50% of the snaps against the teams like the Jets and Pats. 

JEST No. P*ts yes - lots of QB hits and I want Bili-Cheat to feel every hit.

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

So listening to Von Miller's presser today he loves to play and will likely want at least 70 percent of snaps.  I feel like Ed Oliver plays better the more he plays and Rosseau is a every down type of DE...so do we move a little away from the rotation this year?

I wonder if he has incentives he wants to hit raising the amount he will earn in Buffalo.  How is any player supposed to live on $120 million when they do not even have jobs in off-season to keep them too busy to spend money?

13 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

We don't need Von Miller to go 14-3 or whatever and win the division.  We would do that without him.  Miller is here for one reason: a championship.  Frankly I feel like the first 17 games should be all about easing him into the defense so he's fresh and ready to go when it matters.

every game matters....Most here think the Bills are just going to breeze thru the schedule. Miller is needed to win regular season games. You don't ease him in to the defense...he'll learn it during camp Don't assume anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree. I would prefer we bubble wrap him, and unwrap in the playoffs! 

I’m thinking we let Von and our “D” trash QBs all season long, as the season progresses into the post season the fear of our “D” will be palpable on opposing teams, the battle is half won before the games even start come the post season, no mercy, advantage Bills! 

Just a thought, 😁👍🍺

• Haha (+1) 1

Although the NFL has changed its approach to a lot of things thinking that RB's are a dime a dozen some players need to be in the game to get into a rhythm which i feel we saw with Motor last year .

When he's in just a handful of plays sharing the load with Moss he's not as effective but when he's the lead back & handles most of the plays he gets a good feel to see how the other side wants to play against him .

I think the same can be true with Von when you get into the game & after repeatedly working against your opponent you can set them up & see how they will react to how he rushes & then when he gets him thinking one way he goes the other & hello Mr sack .

So i think if Von goes to the coaches & say hey i know your into the rotation but i'n telling you i'm not i'm pretty sure they are gone got listen to him seeing as he's a 8x pro bowler with 2 rings & over 100+ sacks  !! 

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So I don’t have the wherewithal to find this right now, but the last premier defensive end McDermott had was Greg Hardy. I am curious to know what his rotation looked like. Or perhaps Trent Cole with the Eagles. Did those guys rotate as much?

Good thought. 

In Hardy's best year he had 15 sacks and took 86% of defensive snaps. I think you definitely have to manage Miller's age and season. But I think there is something to letting premier players get a feel for the game so they can make huge plays in huge moments. Just being physically better isn't enough to beat the guy in front of you at a clutch moment. A lot of the time you beat a guy because you have been able to go to work on him every down and can pick up what he is doing and exploit them. I think that can be really difficult for some players unless they are a full standard deviation better than the guy lining up across from them. 

For reference Oliver lead the entire DL at 57% and Oldman- Hughes lead DE's at 51%. Nobody else was over 50%. I think it would be good for Rousseau to get to or 60%. Miller was over 70% in every game except his last in DEN and first in LAR. And he was over 80% in 8 games.  Miller doesn't seem to just like to play, he feasts on it. I think on the VERY conservative end Miller gets a governor put on him at 65% of snaps. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not on the bubble wrap wagon. Whatever Von wants you give him. Like Von said himself you ain’t sitting him for more than two snaps.  He is here to produce and the more he is out there the more game changing plays he can make. The Jags was supposed to be a cakewalk too..I have no worries about his usage throughout the year. Guy is a beast and let him be one. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.