Von recruiting Haden?

Alphadawg7

• 2 months later...

Haden used to be an outstanding CB.  He’s still a smart player who can step in and be serviceable, especially if it is for a short span.  And he should be cheap.  That’s the kind of player the Bills need right now.  He’d be a very good fit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Haden used to be an outstanding CB.  He’s still a smart player who can step in and be serviceable, especially if it is for a short span.  And he should be cheap.  That’s the kind of player the Bills need right now.  He’d be a very good fit. 

Like most of you, I’m a little concerned about the start of the season when it comes to Tre’s recovery.  Bringing in a guy like Haden would do a lot to ease those concerns.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I think Haden's best bet to stick around a few more years is actually at safety.  He doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to be a great CB anymore, but he is still a smart player who can read the QB and make a few plays here and there.  Giving him a little more cushion at safety could help.

• Agree 2

Joe Haden is exactly the sort of vet that the Bills covet.  Plenty of experience, won't be expensive and could provide just the sort of depth and stop-gap solution the team very likely could use.

I also think the Bills will look for a veteran boundary WR as well.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Like most of you, I’m a little concerned about the start of the season when it comes to Tre’s recovery.  Brining in a guy like Haden would do a lot to ease those concerns.

I agree but I'm kinda put off he hasn't signed yet. Supposedly there are a few teams interested in him so this tells me he doesn't care who he plays for as long as he secures the highest available contract. 

11 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I agree but I'm kinda put off he hasn't signed yet. Supposedly there are a few teams interested in him so this tells me he doesn't care who he plays for as long as he secures the highest available contract. 

Oh I see, you're one of those people who wants to cut a rookie if they aren't found to have already had a full back Bills tattoo before we even scouted them for the draft.

• Disagree 2

17 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Sometimes it's the player wanting to wait to avoid all the offseason activities as much as possible.  Especially with long standing vets who won't need much time to be ready to play.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Which is kind of like every free agent, ever.

I'm kidding a bit, but particularly for a veteran who knows it may be his last contract, I'm sure Haden has a number he will and won't play for.

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

I think Haden's best bet to stick around a few more years is actually at safety.  He doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to be a great CB anymore, but he is still a smart player who can read the QB and make a few plays here and there.  Giving him a little more cushion at safety could help.

he doesn’t have to be a great player.  He doesn’t have to be fast.  He needs to be smart and to have good instincts.  He’s competing against Dane Jackson.  What do you know about him?

34 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Except you really have no idea what his reasons for not yet signing are.

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sometimes it's the player wanting to wait to avoid all the offseason activities as much as possible.  Especially with long standing vets who won't need much time to be ready to play.

I suspect this is more it w him.  Somebody is going to pay him a reasonable amount to be a plug and play corner, I’d love to see him added just before preseason.  It would be great to have him in earlier, but guys literally retire to avoid all the training camp etc, I could see him trying to avoid it as long as he can.  I’m shy to say anybody has “earned” that right with what these guys get paid, but he’s not a guy that needs a ton of coaching. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

he doesn’t have to be a great player.  He doesn’t have to be fast.  He needs to be smart and to have good instincts.  He’s competing against Dane Jackson.  What do you know about him?

He was always a good player, even as a rookie. I think he entered the league at barely 20.  But he always was very smart and savvy.  Never crazy athletic, but he has definitely slipped a good bit.  I would say average, maybe very slightly above average, but he will get beat some, and he will get injured.  He has always been prone to injuries a bit.

Haden has hinted about a return to Cleveland as well, and I'd take him at the right price.  He would be #4 in Cleveland and a good mentor for a bunch of young guys, even Ward.  But Greedy Williams, Greg Newsome, and Martin Emerson could learn from him, especially Emerson.  Slower CB who is physical.  Haden is smaller but always played pretty physical.

Just now, cle23 said:

He was always a good player, even as a rookie. I think he entered the league at barely 20.  But he always was very smart and savvy.  Never crazy athletic, but he has definitely slipped a good bit.  I would say average, maybe very slightly above average, but he will get beat some, and he will get injured.  He has always been prone to injuries a bit.

Haden has hinted about a return to Cleveland as well, and I'd take him at the right price.  He would be #4 in Cleveland and a good mentor for a bunch of young guys, even Ward.  But Greedy Williams, Greg Newsome, and Martin Emerson could learn from him, especially Emerson.  Slower CB who is physical.  Haden is smaller but always played pretty physical.

I know about Haden.  I was asking you what you knew about Dane Jackson.  That’s the guy that Haden will be competing with.  He’d be competing for cb 2-4 with the super bowl favorites if he comes to Buffalo. Safety might be a better spot for him in Cleveland.  Or possibly switch to safety in Buffalo after Tre’Davious returns of Poyer or Hyde get injured.  But I don’t see him as a safety in Buffalo.  I think he’d be a starting corner until White comes back, if he signs by next week.  The longer he waits, the more likelihood Dane beats him out.

2 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It's gonna happen.

Yeah, like Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks 😎

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I know about Haden.  I was asking you what you knew about Dane Jackson.  That’s the guy that Haden will be competing with.  He’d be competing for cb 2-4 with the super bowl favorites if he comes to Buffalo. Safety might be a better spot for him in Cleveland.  Or possibly switch to safety in Buffalo after Tre’Davious returns of Poyer or Hyde get injured.  But I don’t see him as a safety in Buffalo.  I think he’d be a starting corner until White comes back, if he signs by next week.  The longer he waits, the more likelihood Dane beats him out.

Anybody else think that the outcome of the Chiefs game may have been different if Haden or another veteran CB been on the field? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.