Von recruiting Haden?

Alphadawg7

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Dane is fine as a #2. Yet we're weak at outside CB depth and with Tre's availability in question understand thought process wanting one earlier. Heck last season I was hoping we'd get Eric Stokes in Round 1.

I believe they would have taken Stokes had Green Bay not scooped him up the pick before.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not familiar with this Twitter account, but just saw this:  

Update:  Von said it in his press conference, so confirmed he said this.

Not going to lie, my brain read: Recruiting Von Haden, and I thought, what kind of madman is that!?!

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

None of these guys are guys you should feel comfortable starting. That's why they haven't been signed by any of the 32 teams. At this point, they're depth role players. 

As for Dane Jackson, we had him last season. He did not perform well and could not beat out Levi Wallace. He's not the answer at CB2.

We need to try and get someone who has the potential to, at the very least, be an upgrade from Levi. At most someone who can come in and be able to handle CB1, if something were to happen to Tre. We've let that opportunity pass us by in FA. 

Taking a mid round CB like Emerson or Taylor-Britt and signing one of these guys, while keeping our fingers crossed that Tre doesn't take a step back returning from injury is very risky. Especially when we probably won't have Tre to start the season. 

Lots for me to disagree with:

I would be more comfortable with a veteran CB than a rookie.

I thought Dane Jackson performed well and could be the answer for CB2.

There is still FA CB help available.

And yes while there is some risk in going with a vet CB and a mid round selection I am hoping the FO is willing to take that risk if it means taking the WR they see as the BPA at the time of the 1st round pick.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Lots for me to disagree with:

I would be more comfortable with a veteran CB than a rookie.

I thought Dane Jackson performed well and could be the answer for CB2.

There is still FA CB help available.

And yes while there is some risk in going with a vet CB and a mid round selection I am hoping the FO is willing to take that risk if it means taking the WR they see as the BPA at the time of the 1st round pick.

Annnnddddd there it is! I was just about to ask you what position are you focused on that has you devaluing starting CB so much and completely disregarding the warts of all remaining CB's in the FA pool that I posted.

Don't get me wrong, if Jameson Williams and/or Garrett Wilson are on the board and Andrew Booth and Trent McDuffie are gone - then I'd hope they'd take a WR Round 1 and try and move up from Round 2 to get their CB. 

But the odds of landing a quality, comparable WR at 57 is MUCH higher than it is we can land a 1st Round comparable CB at 57. 

I'd also point out that when Beane was in Carolina, they were an almost identical position. Coming off an NFC Championship, they were in just as bad of a situation at CB going into the Draft. They passed on CB in Round 1, taking CB's in Round 2 and 3. One was a hit, one was a miss, and they went from a Super Bowl team to 6-10 the following year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Annnnddddd there it is! I was just about to ask you what position are you focused on that has you devaluing starting CB so much and completely disregarding the warts of all remaining CB's in the FA pool that I posted.

Don't get me wrong, if Jameson Williams and/or Garrett Wilson are on the board and Andrew Booth and Trent McDuffie are gone - then I'd hope they'd take a WR Round 1 and try and move up from Round 2 to get their CB. 

But the odds of landing a quality, comparable WR at 57 is MUCH higher than it is we can land a 1st Round comparable CB at 57. 

I'd also point out that when Beane was in Carolina, they were an almost identical position. Coming off an NFC Championship, they were in just as bad of a situation at CB going into the Draft. They passed on CB in Round 1, taking CB's in Round 2 and 3. One was a hit, one was a miss, and they went from a Super Bowl team to 6-10 the following year.

Everyone has warts.  Even 1st round prospects.  

Please show us how you came up with this math.  Based on what? Your amateur opinion of the draft prospects? 

The panthers didn’t have ANY good corners after losing Norman.  We have white.  He hit on his first corner selected.  We only have to hit on the 1st one we draft, just like he did that year with Carolina. It’s a COMPLETELY different situation.  But carry on with false narratives.

the only thing we know for sure:  they’ve always showed disregard for cb2.  ALWAYS.  

• Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

Everyone has warts.  Even 1st round prospects.  

Gee, you don't say? There's no such thing as a perfect prospect. But the best traits are found higher in the Draft. That's why they're selected there.

The issues I was referring to refer to decline and injury problems with guys in their 30's, a lot of which haven't started a full season in two years. What they bring to the table at this point is well known.

Most of the top CB's in the NFL were drafted in Round 1. Could we miss taking a CB Round 1? Of course. But the success rate is much higher. We could miss. Or we could also draft the next Tre White and line him up alongside Tre White. Most of these FA's are unsigned for a reason.

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

Please show us how you came up with this math.  Based on what? Your amateur opinion of the draft prospects? 

The panthers didn’t have ANY good corners after losing Norman.  We have white.  He hit on his first corner selected.  We only have to hit on the 1st one we draft, just like he did that year with Carolina. It’s a COMPLETELY different situation.  But carry on with false narratives.

the only thing we know for sure:  they’ve always showed disregard for cb2.  ALWAYS.  

Geesh. Why so angry, bud?

Maybe I could have worded it better as I wasn't trying to imply their fall from grace was all on the CB's. But I'm sure passing on Xavien Howard for Vernon Butler didn't help matters.

And yes, they have shown disregard to CB2. Where did that get us against KC? Tre went down and we were screwed. I think it would be absolute insanity for them not to learn from that. Especially where we're at as a team now and the type of teams we have to face to make the Super Bowl.

Yes, we have Tre. We have Tre returning from an ACL injury - most likely not to begin the season. I sincerely hope he returns to form immediately, but that's not a given. 

Obviously if the board doesn't fall right, I'm not advocating we reach if there's someone sticking out on the board at another position we could use help in. But I vehemently disagree, especially with Tre's injury, that signing one of these leftover CB's and drafting a mid-tier prospect at Round 3 or later is the right way to go.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2022 at 3:33 PM, machine gun kelly said:

We’re drafting one guys.  We would’ve picked up a guy by now.  Maybe if we can’t what we want after the draft, but it’s dead waters until after the draft.  Just my take.

I wonder if one of the vet available options Beane likes sign between now and the draft. It’s a risk/reward game for the player. If you like Buffalo but want more money, you can wait till after the draft and IF Buffalo didn’t find a CB they valued maybe you get the extra million a year. Or the alternative happens, Bills get a player or two they like in the draft and stop calling. 

On 4/20/2022 at 4:57 PM, BarleyNY said:

Signing Haden at this point in his career would feel a lot like when we signed Josh Norman. 

Agreed. The Bills might as well sign Charles Romes and Mario Clark at this point instead of Haden :)

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Agreed. The Bills might as well sign Charles Romes and Mario Clark at this point instead of Haden :)

Hopefully if the Bills do sign Haden it’ll be on an incentive laden contract with minimal salary and guarantees.  We gave Norman $6M for nothing but a little bit of  poor play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Hopefully if the Bills do sign Haden it’ll be on an incentive laden contract with minimal salary and guarantees.  We gave Norman $6M for nothing but a little bit of  poor play.

I could see them signing a vet for the minimum but I also think they will draft one. It may not be in Rd 1 but they are definitely taking a CB. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I wonder if one of the vet available options Beane likes sign between now and the draft. It’s a risk/reward game for the player. If you like Buffalo but want more money, you can wait till after the draft and IF Buffalo didn’t find a CB they valued maybe you get the extra million a year. Or the alternative happens, Bills get a player or two they like in the draft and stop calling. 

There’s really not many quality vet CB’s left.  Haden was good and smart, but he must have lost a step.  

Beane all but said in the past he wants speed.  It’s why he let Wallace go for not much.

As much as I’d love for us to trade up, Beane has been known for trading up in the 2nd round.  Supposedly there 6 quality CB’s expected to go in RD 1.  It will be a fun night in six days.

Remember the vet minimum for a 10 yr. Vet is at least $1 mil.

Edited by machine gun kelly

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

There’s really not many quality vet CB’s left.  Haden was good and smart, but he must have lost a step.  

Beane all but said in the past he wants speed.  It’s why he let Wallace go for not much.

As much as I’d love for us to trade up, Beane has been known for trading up in the 2nd round.  Supposedly there 6 quality CB’s expected to go in RD 1.  It will be a fun night in six days.

Remember the vet minimum for a 10 yr. Vet is at least $1 mil.

I go back and forth when it comes to defensive players and what I think Beane will do. In one regard, history says they won’t draft a DB high, however Beane has shown he will adjust his philosophy. 
The main reasons he might go DB higher is because of Poyer and White, not to mention your CB2 for the last 3 seasons leaving. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.