Von recruiting Haden?

Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Haden is 33 and coming off the worst statistical season of his career where he still missed 6 games. 

QBs posted a 100+ QB rating going against him and missed tackles were a big issue.

And Kyle Fuller is coming off a year where he was benched for poor performance: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/after-high-profile-signing-broncos-have-benched-kyle-fuller/

Everyone that's still out there is out there for a reason. To an extent, I understand having some concern with starting a Rookie who may (or may not) take a little time to get his sea legs under him, if you will.

But I vehemently disagree with the notion of many that signing and starting one of these guys is a necessity and would definitively put us in a much better position than starting a Rookie ever possibly could.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’re drafting one guys.  We would’ve picked up a guy by now.  Maybe if we can’t what we want after the draft, but it’s dead waters until after the draft.  Just my take.

Exactly this. Logic says that if they viewed starting a veteran at CB as an absolute necessity, we would have attacked it like we attacked other positions in FA. We would not have let the well almost completely dry up and go into the Draft with a hole there.

I believe we will sign a veteran late in the Offseason to provide depth and added help with Tre out for a bit to start the season. But that will be in conjunction with a 1st or 2nd Round Draft Pick. None of these guys available are anything more than a 1 year band aid.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here’s the thing, both Haden and Bradberry had down years, but they have long arms. So….

But anyway, one costs nothing and one costs a lot. Bradberry is way better than Haden at this point, but not like 10 million better.

To me, the middle ground is Kyle Fuller. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exactly this. Logic says that if they viewed starting a veteran at CB as an absolute necessity, we would have attacked it like we attacked other positions in FA. We would not have let the well almost completely dry up and go into the Draft with a hole there.

Logic doesn't say you approach every position the same.  The FO could want a cheap veteran CB. You don't attack with that mindset, you wait.  The well is not almost completely dry, there are plenty out there, they just may be waiting it out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Logic doesn't say you approach every position the same.  The FO could want a cheap veteran CB. You don't attack with that mindset, you wait.  The well is not almost completely dry, there are plenty out there, they just may be waiting it out.

What's plenty? As stated in my post, Haden's coming off his worst statistical year. Fuller's coming off a season where he was benched. Bryce Callahan started just 6 games last season and is more of a Nickel CB than an outside guy.

I don't know how it's possible after watching what was done to our Secondary by the Chiefs that Beane would not only not be looking for someone who could be an upgrade from Levi Wallace, but value the position even less by waiting and taking just whatever journeyman is left over at the end of FA for whatever we have left. 

I do believe we will sign one of those guys. But there's no way in my mind that they think that's the definitive answer and they're cool with just that.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Beane prob watched him play last year  and is offering vet min

Maybe telling Von to raise his standards?  Only so much room for old guys!  :)

2 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Dane is not happy with you guys.

Dane needs to know his place! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

But I vehemently disagree with the notion of many that signing and starting one of these guys is a necessity and would definitively put us in a much better position than starting a Rookie ever possibly could.

To me, it probably depends on the veteran and the rookie.

I agree that Joe Haden, Kyle Fuller, etc. aren't what they used to be.  But exactly how much have they fallen off?

These are vets with plenty of starting experience in the NFL.  Can their production truly be replaced by a rookie on Day 1? 

We probably aren't looking at adding Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley.  Probably not Trent McDuffie or Andrew Booth Jr. either.

What if the draft doesn't fall our way, and the best/most pro-ready CBs aren't available when we pick?

What if we can't get a corner until Round 3 or 4?  Will that guy be ready to play?

I trust Beane.  But he's not infallible.

Hopefully he's got a plan.  Because that position looks like a Week 1 (and probably longer) liability to everyone outside the organization.

I believe we will sign a veteran late in the Offseason to provide depth and added help with Tre out for a bit to start the season. But that will be in conjunction with a 1st or 2nd Round Draft Pick. None of these guys available are anything more than a 1 year band aid.

A one-year band-aid is enough.  We realistically just need someone that won't get picked-on and destroyed while Tre White is rehabbing.

Most of us are hoping to sign someone before Draft Day, because it drastically opens up our board in Rounds 1-2.

It still could happen.  Or it could be like you say, and be a training camp/preseason add.

My biggest concern is that we drop 1-2 winnable games early in the season, due to the hole at corner.  And that ultimately costs us homefield (like it did last season).  Homefield could be absolutely huge this season in the AFC.

Joe Haden should retire. He's still way better than Dane Jackson, but I don't care if neither of them play for us. This just shows how bad our CB situation really is. The right side of our OL is just as bad. I don't see how we can say we are approaching this draft without needs. A WR, LB, TE, DT or RB at 25 is a mistake that will cost us. I'd trade a 3rd for Bradberry in a heartbeat, but can we afford him? Does Beane have that much magic? I'll be singing his praises if he pulls that move off.

Edited by GreggTX

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What's plenty? 

I don't know how it's possible after watching what was done to our Secondary by the Chiefs

I do believe we will sign one of those guys. But there's no way in my mind that they think that's the definitive answer and they're cool with just that.

Plenty is:  Haden/Fuller/Buoye/Callahan/Harris/Rhodes

Tre didn't play against the Chiefs

Maybe the answer is Tre and Dane, with a short term vet CB, and groom another CB.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’re drafting one guys.  We would’ve picked up a guy by now.  Maybe if we can’t what we want after the draft, but it’s dead waters until after the draft.  Just my take.

You’re very likely correct with your opinion, that’s pretty much how I see it as well. 

Go Bills!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.