Joe B article about cornerbacks

whorlnut

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And I agree with your last paragraph. A lot of people here have kind of analyzed the concept of drafting for need vs BPA. But it all depends on how they put their board together. Do they put a higher emphasis on corner as it is a need? Are those grades higher? In my mind Stingley, Gardner, Booth, McDuffie are instant starters. If any of them are there at 25, I feel like they are the pick. If Stingley is there in the teens I think a trade up could happen. If McDuffie and Booth make it to the early 20s, I could see a mini trade up. If all those guys are gone, or some high caliber player somehow drops I could totally see them pivot, unless they love Elam or Gordon. But to me the most likely scenario is corner round 1. I don’t think it is a complete guarantee, but their board and BPA always seems to conveniently match with need (stuck out on the board and all that). They seem to draft the highest player on their board every time, at least according to Beane. So I feel like their board is built with an emphasis on need. 

I think that they have recently used a BPA of premium position of use to create their board.  And that the board has been created with the future in mind when drafting.   The board has been somewhat conservative in that even if the player is average they are taking a spot which is expensive to fill.  Very little financial risk in the DEs when they are penciled in to replace the Murphys/Butlers/Addison $8-12M range players.

Looks like the FO is saving the WR2/3 spot for a rookie to replace the Sanders spot ($6M).  And they have the CB2/3 open to replace Wallace ($4M) available.  I think Daxton Hill is strongly in the mix, offers versatility and the long term coverage at safety that would allow the Bills to save the $12M of a Poyer extension.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JDubya76 said:

I didn’t see if this was posted up thread and I’m not sure it deserves its own. A little bit on J-Poy and a trade with the Jints

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2955392-2022-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-surrounding-every-nfl-team

Doubtful. Even if you throw Poyer and 25 in as part of the trade, you're trading next year's first and probably more to get up to 7. 

1 hour ago, JDubya76 said:

I didn’t see if this was posted up thread and I’m not sure it deserves its own. A little bit on J-Poy and a trade with the Jints

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2955392-2022-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-surrounding-every-nfl-team

Just FYI, The Bleacher Report piece quotes Joe B's piece in The Athletic:

"If the Bills believe the Poyer situation is going awry, I could see them making a big move up the board and into the top 10—or just outside of it to secure (Kyle) Hamilton's services. The spot I keep coming back to at the top of this range is the Giants at No. 7. It would get the Bills ahead of the Falcons (No. 8), Jets (No. 10) and Commanders (No. 11), all of whom could select Hamilton because of a need at the position and his rare qualities." 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No one wants to believe it but another edge rusher could be the pick. Boye Mafe fits the profile of a Beane 1st rounder. I also increasingly think it could be Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green despite my own feelings about a 1st round guard. Beane said after the season that his priority this offseasn is to protect Allen, and that has borne out with a bunch of OL signings. Beane doesn't lie. I would not put it past him to add a plug and play guard if he thinks it would leave the OL set for a few years.

Yeah Boye Mafe is often IMO the BPA at a premium position when I run the mock draft simulators that I think are most realistic.

Pass rusher is the #2 premium position on the field after QB........especially in this defensive system.........and Beane has re-iterated numerous times that he also believes that.

The Bills are perceived to have a lot of depth there but it's almost all "potential" and very little actual pass rush production beyond Miller.

Mafe is also a different type of pass rusher than their other 3 young DE's.........his body type and style are more like Von Miller and Mafe might gain more from working with Miller and emulating some of the aspects of his game than the other 3.

I'd hate to see them go Guard.........you can always find good one's in UFA......some times All Pro's even......which is rarely the case with premium positions........drafting an interior OL in round 1 is simply bad roster management.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Josh took over becuase Peterman was so bad in week 1 that the experiment was over and he was benched. 

Great points on Singletary and Johnson. I forgot how much we used Frank Gore! Knox, while technically not starting, (Lee Smith) Knox was getting the highest number of snaps, or splitting snaps at the position, and we also played a lot of 3 wide. Like in 2012, Greg Hardy did not start right away for Carolina but played 80% of the snaps week 1. So Joe using the word starter while implying these guys weren’t relied upon from day 1 is semantics and journalistic BS. 

Tremaine for sure and Tre White as you mentioned. Zay Jones, Cody Ford. I still disagree with the premise of the article. I think the reliance on rookie starters depends on a number of factors and I think Joe B. painting the brush implying that McDermott doesn’t rely on rookies is kind of silly. 

And I agree with your last paragraph. A lot of people here have kind of analyzed the concept of drafting for need vs BPA. But it all depends on how they put their board together. Do they put a higher emphasis on corner as it is a need? Are those grades higher? In my mind Stingley, Gardner, Booth, McDuffie are instant starters. If any of them are there at 25, I feel like they are the pick. If Stingley is there in the teens I think a trade up could happen. If McDuffie and Booth make it to the early 20s, I could see a mini trade up. If all those guys are gone, or some high caliber player somehow drops I could totally see them pivot, unless they love Elam or Gordon. But to me the most likely scenario is corner round 1. I don’t think it is a complete guarantee, but their board and BPA always seems to conveniently match with need (stuck out on the board and all that). They seem to draft the highest player on their board every time, at least according to Beane. So I feel like their board is built with an emphasis on need. 

I think need and BPA lined up pretty well in round 1 of Beane's first 2 drafts because the roster had a lot of holes in it.

He traded the 2020 pick for Diggs..........and last year there was just a run of DE's at the end of round 1 which I felt were actual BPA's.........it was serendipitous.

Beane made a significant error reaching up for Cody Ford in 2019...........so he has proven capable of reaching.    Hopefully he's learned from that.

• Like (+1) 1

Joe B. Writes some great pieces. I liked this one & found it informative. His suggestion of a safety is well taken. However he's written a number of times about why it won't be CB round 1 & has said a few times RB (even mocked a RB to us). So it was humorous that his take yesterday on Beane's presser was ironically that Beane is hinting no CB round 1 & maybe a RB, thus agreeing w/ Joe (that's a summary & yes he qualified his take). Essentially it's Joe writing: I think Beane is saying I'm right. 🤔 Calls into question his objectivity on this issue, IMO. & he may be right & given his access he knows more than most, including me. But only Beane truly knows (& even he has to rely on who's available). 

On 4/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, Gugny said:

https://theathletic.com/3259273/2022/04/20/bills-nfl-draft-cornerbacks/

Some highlights ....

Since 2018, his first draft year, Beane has not used a draft pick on an intended-boundary cornerback in the first five rounds. The only players he has drafted to the position have been Jackson (seventh round, 2020) and Rachad Wildgoose (sixth round, 2021). Teams are usually not drafting late-round cornerbacks with the idea that they eventually would compete for a starting role. Beane’s favorite avenue has been trying to find undrafted free-agent gems at cornerback as they did with Levi Wallace, and they have a couple they like right now in Nick McCloud and Olaijah Griffin.

Since McDermott has become the head coach, the Bills have hesitated to put a complete starter’s workload on a young player, regardless of how early he was drafted. In 2017, the team didn’t start offensive tackle Dion Dawkins until Week 3  and resisted the urge to make linebacker Matt Milano a full-time starter until Week 14, despite Milano completely outplaying starter Ramon Humber up to that point. The Bills made quarterback Josh Allen the starter only after Nathan Peterman made them non-competitive to open 2018.

It’s rare for McDermott to put his faith in a rookie during a 17-game season. He firmly believes that the rookie wall is real and actively manages time off the field throughout the season to help prevent a steep drop-off. The idea that a cornerback selected at No. 25, or any position for that matter, is going to walk in and be the coast-to-coast starter in 2022 lacks the supporting evidence of McDermott’s history with first-year players. The Bills have shown an excellent ability to develop their players, and deviating from that philosophy does not seem likely.

So.... I don't know if he's leaving out this information intentionally to prove his story, but it's pretty blatant.

#1) Tre White was drafted in 2017 at #27 overall. We had decent depth behind him. That contributed to why the Bills focused on other needs.

#2) Tre White played all 16 games his rookie year. He played 98.6% of the snaps his rookie year.

#3) See above. McDermott did the exact thing with a Corner that Buscaglia said he doesn't do.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, 34-78-83 said:

Yeah I think you're right. And Booth is certainly more a McDermott DNA type of player. I guess it's just Elam's natural athleticism, recovery speed and reach that has me intrigued. He's not as polished as Booth. I haven't really looked at Gordon.

My gut on who the Bills would like better was right, and I'm good with it. Makes sense with all his athletic ability and character. The CB Whisperers will teach him the rest.  And look we're down to 7 picks total too. Figured that would be a thing too where we don't use all 8.... I'm thinking likely another trade up to come at some point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.