Who is Your Favorite NFL Football TV Announcer of All Time ?

T master

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

See I find Romo really irritating and not adding much value since CBS stopped him tipping plays. It was almost as though they dumbed him down to the audience. 

Wait what?  They stopped him tipping plays?  Was not aware, that was what I liked so much about him, the pre snap insight 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait what?  They stopped him tipping plays?  Was not aware, that was what I liked so much about him, the pre snap insight 

Yea he still does it very occasionally but he has majorly dialled it back and the rumour is CBS told him to. So now he is just a guy who speaks in an overly excitable squeaky voice gettingfasterandfasterandfasterJIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM

Charlie Jones - I really enjoy listening to his voice - which was unique - and his calling a game and highlights on those old videos. Brings back many memories. 

Howard Cosell was must-see TV for a period of time. 

Of the current guys, Gus Johnson is a fun listen. Romo is fun to listen to as well. 

Madden was OK, but I never felt like he was as enjoyable to listen to as the above. 

Don Criqui. Honorable mention to John Madden and Keith Jackson.

Special award to Ray Scott, who had a great economy of words in the 1960s. For example, "Gabriel...Casey...touchdown!"

And special commendation to the Spanish-language announcers. They have made watching Sunday Night and Monday Night Football bearable.

Only good sideline reporter ever was Kevin Kiley, who worked for TNT. He is the sole sideline reporter I ever heard who asked intelligent questions. Do you know where he played college football? University of Wyoming.

I know this is pretty boring, but Tony Romo.

Aside from simply enjoying the way he calls games, I absolutely loved seeing him shut up so many people in Dallas (where I lived during his playing run) showing how insightful he was.

The guy kept the Cowboys from being an NFL bottom feeder for years, yet got far more blame for all their woes than deserved. Listening to the constant hate from friends & Dallas media made me start pulling for him as an individual. Seeing his best chance to win disappear due to injury & being replaced by rookie Dak just felt like yet another crap hand being dealt.

But man did his move to the broadcast booth open people's eyes! Hell, even as a Romo appreciater already, I was still surprised about just great his vision, feel & knowledge of the game truly was. The way he can quickly process so many things & accurately assess what's unfolding (or what's about to unfold) is awesome, and the way he communicates it makes even less interesting games far more engaging.

TL;DR - He doesn't have the resume or iconic legacy of others (yet), but Tony Romo is just a dude I appreciate above the rest.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.