Who is Your Favorite NFL Football TV Announcer of All Time ?

T master

My favorites...

Play-By-Play:

1. Howard Cosell

2. Dick Enberg

3. Marv Albert

4. Pat Summerall

5. Charlie Jones

Honorable Mention: Jim Nantz, Verne Lundquist, Kevin Harlan, Don Criqui

Not a fan of Al Michaels, he's alright.

Color Commentray:

1. John Madden

2. Bob Trumpy

3. Paul Maguire

4. Tony Romo

5. Hank Stram

• Like (+1) 2

I'll also vote for Dick Enberg.   I enjoyed Curt Gowdy in his earlier years, but towards the end, he sounded like he was confused a lot of the time, calling players by the wrong names, forgetting the game situation (what down, etc), and sometimes even getting the teams mixed up ... and even the cities!   But in his prime, he was great.

Gee, you can really tell the age of this board on a weekday morning, there were some pioneers listed.

Ray Scott "the screamer"

Howie was the first to offer up negative criticisms. Folks tuned in just to hate on Howey.

"Dandy" Don Meredith was the first to add humor and was the perfect foil for Howie.

Al DeRogotis was the first I remember to add actual technical football analysis.

Madden did humor combined with technical analysis.

• Like (+1) 2

team - Madden and Summerall the gold standard followed by MNF crew of Cosell, Dandy Don and Mr Kathy Lee Gifford - entertainment beyond the game..Cosell..

I know every playahs numbah and where he went to collidge - and  Dandy Don singong "turn out the lights the party's over" when the game got out of hand...followed by Enberg and Merlon Olsen (NBC 4 PM ET games - many Elway comebacks and west coast games which were followed by Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom but I digress).

individual - Cosell - as a kid the half-time highlights on MNF were what I waited-up for...that man..right theyah...Mel Gray...taking a kick-off to the house, only seen on MNF

Keith Jackson - the voice of college footballl...as in...good lookin sof-oh-more line-backah from Natcha-doses Tex-us...and the of course those big uglies up-front doing the blocking.

• Like (+1) 1

Pat Summerall and John Madden

CBS had them on the NFC East during its golden years in the 80's 

Special shout out to Dennis Miller.  While not an all-time great, I am one of the few that enjoyed his humor during MNF.  That was a unique twist.

Edited by filthymcnasty08
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pat Summerall.

I loved his minimalist style.  He didn't need to talk and fill every second with his voice. 

He would let the game be the star.

"Touchdown Dallas"

That was all that was needed.

Another announcer I really enjoyed was Keith Jackson. 

"Woa Nellie"

Edited by longtimebillsfan
Because
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Madden on a National level.

On a local level, Van Miller and Greg Papa who used to do the Raiders broadcasts, but was unceremoniously dumped for the has been Brent Musburger. (He is currently god awful to listen to). I think the 49ers picked up Papa to do their radio broadcasts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.