Last 3 great comebacks by Josh...let's hope Von can give us a different result.

Hebert19

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Because Jacksonville is actually good - I think people are missing this from that game. 

Their D was sneaky good.  

Terrible against the run - good against the pass. 

At the time we couldn't run the ball.  Or pass block well.  And the Jags felt they were playing their SB.  

It looked like the Pittsburgh game but also with like 12 penalties for 130 yards.

Lol, I don't know what would make you believe that. Could not disagree more. Jags in no way showed they were good. I will give you that they felt like the Bills game felt more important to them. But I still wouldn't go as far to say they were "good". 

I truly think Bills broke the unwritten rule and overlooked the Jags. Even with the Bills struggles at that point in the season they were still good enough to beat the Jags. Jags came to play and Bills didn't. 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

12 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Let's hope Von can help us close games out.

Von will be double-teamed on crucial downs.  Either he'll need to beat those double-teans or someone else on the DL-LB corps will need to step up.

I'm not saying that Von can't beat the double-teams.  When he is double-teamed that means there's an opportunity for the other DL or a blitzing LB to get to the QB.

32 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, that doesn't hold much water either. 

Anybody who still complains about the jax game doesn't realize the NFL IS ANY GIVEN SUNDAY 

That's not a cliche , that's a fact ... There is so much talent on an NFL field if a team doesn't show up they WILL lose 

Especially with a good football player in Lawrence who was not gonna go 0-16 easily

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I'm an old dude. I remember back in the day after the Bills lost their third Super Bowl, by increasingly bigger margins, that Ralph firing the GM Polian rather than coach Marv Levy was stupid. I liked Marv, but still, that Bills team was rife with star players. If Marv couldn't win the SB with that roster, it made more sense to fire him than fire the man who built the roster. 

Polin was not fired due to team performance.

He fired Polin due to his unsavory remarks on his daughter, who had done scouting for Bills, and by some reports he had been drinking.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not going to sit here and say coaching didn't play a part in it, but the way that game went it kinda made me think it looked as if it may have been one of those instances where Bills could have overlooked the Jags a little. I'm sure it was other things to place blame as it always is.

But that's just what I got from it as well. 

I’d argue having the team ready to perform is within the purview of the coaching staff.

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I’d argue having the team ready to perform is within the purview of the coaching staff.

Yeah it does, but also players as well. Kinda like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink"... Coaches can do as much as they can, but players have to do their part too.

And I'm not saying it for sure went that way, just thought it appeared the players may have possibly overlooked Jags that day also

15 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

There is zero chance McDermott is on the hot seat after this year. Beane and McDermott are a package deal, letting go of one means letting both go. Pegula wouldn't be that stupid (I hope)

Not to mention mcD didn't blow out tre's ACL, went toe to toe with the nfls most electric passing offense without our star DB. Bucs and chiefs games could have been different stories with a healthy tre. And "hot seat" takes would be blasphemy.

19 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Those were weird close game outcomes.  It's also weird that Tyler Bass was not directly involved in the outcomes.  Someone did a preseason list of the 10 most important Bills players to the success of the 2021 season.   I thought Bass should definitely be on the list.  Good to great team, playing close, important games against strong opponents = FG kicker deciding the outcome.  Blowout wins and strange close game losses without Bass being a deciding factor.  He always looked ready to go make one but never got the chance to have the ball on his foot with the game on the line.  Weird is the word.

Interesting point JESSEFEFFER. Bass has been a huge success in Buffalo. But I cannot think of one game-winning field goal he has even attempted (correct me if I'm missing something). He got off to a rough start, but since then has been very good. But this is the part of his game, the clutch part, we have yet to see in his two years in the league. I think he is more than capable, but he just has not had the opportunity. .... To his credit, he has had a few big ones at the end of the half.

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Because Jacksonville is actually good - I think people are missing this from that game. 

They went 3-14 and they were outscored by 204 points.  They were not good.  Having said that, Bengals lost to the Jets.  Bucs lost to the Skins.  Chargers and Titans lost to the Texans.  It's the NFL.  ***** happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

Yeah, right. The greatest Bills coach since Levy is going to be on the hotseat. Whatever.

12 hours ago, T master said:

I get it but what part of winning is interpreted as bad ? They have won the east what 2 years in a row been to the AFC championship game & were 1 game away last year & most know if not for for the coin toss it would have been a entirely different season .

So with that seeing as they are a team now that is always in the play off hunt & win enough to be a part of that after only 3 years of winning like they have why would you want to get rid of him IMHO that makes no sense what so ever .

Look at the Steelers they keep their head coaches & despite Tomlin not having good years they don't just get rid of him because he is a winner and a really good coach so do we go back to the old Bills ways & fire every coach after 4 years that doesn't do well or do we take a page from the Steelers & keep our coach while winning & continue with the stability .

I will vote after the many years of the Bills not being relevant to keep a really good coach & go into the future with what we have as a HC & let him determine the path & i hope the Pegs think the same way because they have been changing coaches on the Sabres & that's not been good for the team so they have something to compare to . 

The coin toss means nothing to me TBH. Their never should have been a coin toss period. 13 seconds was the game. McDermott has done a good job overall but these collapses late in games have to stop. Hail Mary, the Texans playoff game, and the most painful one of all 13 seconds. This team IMHO at minimum should be in the Super Bowl this year as long as injuries don't play a factor. I get they will lose games as every team does but these types of gut wrenches losses (when we appear to have the game won) have to stop.

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I get they will lose games as every team does but these types of gut wrenches losses (when we appear to have the game won) have to stop.

We all want that but look at the way the playoffs went this year. Even right up to the Superbowl. While the Bills' story might have been the hardest luck story of them all, it was far from the only one. When teams lose in the post-season it is often gut wrenching and comes down to one or two moments at the end. Nobody is doubting the Bills blew the last 13 seconds of regulation. They did. Nobody is questioning that ultimately that was a coaching failure whatever the precise detail of what went on. It was. But a lot of playoff games end in heart breaking ways for the losers. This is the NFL the teams are so evenly matched, hell the Chiefs the very next week found a way to lose a game it looked like they had won. Had the Bills beaten the Chiefs they could have won the Superbowl. You just gotta keep banging on the door and hope that one year it breaks your way. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We all want that but look at the way the playoffs went this year. Even right up to the Superbowl. While the Bills' story might have been the hardest luck story of them all, it was far from the only one. When teams lose in the post-season it is often gut wrenching and comes down to one or two moments at the end. Nobody is doubting the Bills blew the last 13 seconds of regulation. They did. Nobody is questioning that ultimately that was a coaching failure whatever the precise detail of what went on. It was. But a lot of playoff games end in heart breaking ways for the losers. This is the NFL the teams are so evenly matched, hell the Chiefs the very next week found a way to lose a game it looked like they had won. Had the Bills beaten the Chiefs they could have won the Superbowl. You just gotta keep banging on the door and hope that one year it breaks your way. 

all true... But the Bills loss was a generationally flukey occurrence... and i'm with the OP on the overall premise. Its been super annoying to see Josh keep orchestrating these late game heroics and weird crap happens to totally derail it. its been oddly common for him over the last 2 years. i'll even insert his masterful drive against the titans into that mix. another anomalous event. Up to that point Allen as 29-30 in yard to go sneak situations with the only failed conversion being a botched snap in 19. Flukey once in a season type of deal.... and they just seem to keep happening. I've actually had a handful of buddies that are fans of other teams go out of their way to point this out to me.

Luckily the team is just so dang good they still win their fair share. Still stings though. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

all true... But the Bills loss was a generationally flukey occurrence... and i'm with the OP on the overall premise. Its been super annoying to see Josh keep ochastrating these late game heroics and weird crap happens to totally derail it. its been oddly common for him over the last 2 years. i'll even insert his masterful drive against the titans into that mix. another anomalous event. Up to that point Allen as 29-30 in yard to go sneak situations with the only failed conversion being a botched snap in 19. Flukey once in a season type of deal.... and they just seem to keep happening. I've actually had a handful of buddies that are fans of other teams go out of their way to point this out to me.

Luckily the team is just so dang good they still win their fair share. Still stings though. 

Yep. Which makes me think one year those breaks will go our way. Just keep pounding on the door. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The coin toss means nothing to me TBH. Their never should have been a coin toss period. 13 seconds was the game. McDermott has done a good job overall but these collapses late in games have to stop. Hail Mary, the Texans playoff game, and the most painful one of all 13 seconds. This team IMHO at minimum should be in the Super Bowl this year as long as injuries don't play a factor. I get they will lose games as every team does but these types of gut wrenches losses (when we appear to have the game won) have to stop.

The Texans game i don't think can be put on McD the players should know do not let him catch the ball the same with the hail Murray that is on the players not the coach & the 13 seconds yah i'll give you that one i can't for the life of me see why that went down the way it did but i'm sure McD being the guy he is won't let that happen again .

Which goes to my point he's still young in the HCing thing and you can't practice every scenario & i feel if he had that to do over agin it would be different & could quite possibly be why the ST coach is gone because could it have been his responsibility to get the correct call to the kicker that started the catastrify ?

We will never know i guess but i feel McD has learned & will grow from that series of events & it will bring the Bills a super bowl from it .

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2022 at 5:27 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

There is zero chance McDermott is on the hot seat after this year. Beane and McDermott are a package deal, letting go of one means letting both go. Pegula wouldn't be that stupid (I hope)

Really? 3-14 with no injuries wouldnt get the heat turned up a but?

Its Super Bowl or bust time, if McDermott is like Dungy, its sooner to cut bait now then waste more of Josh’s career

On 4/19/2022 at 8:22 AM, Greg S said:

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

You must’ve forgot how it was for this team before McDermott and Beane got here? We’re not at the point where we can be an arrogant fanbase calling for super bowl or bust! Unless this team falls on its face for 3 straight losing seasons those guys are safe.

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

You must’ve forgot how it was for this team before McDermott and Beane got here? We’re not at the point where we can be an arrogant fanbase calling for super bowl or bust! Unless this team falls on its face for 3 straight losing seasons those guys are safe.

This year is a Super Bowl or bust year. You think they brought Von Miller here for his play in Sept thru Dec. This was a "final piece" move. Miller is here for what he can bring in Jan/Feb. The Bills are all in this year. No way this team flies under the radar. Both the national/local media as well as the fanbase have the highest expectations for them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.