Last 3 great comebacks by Josh...let's hope Von can give us a different result.

Hebert19

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

1.   KC.  We know what happened there.  D failed him and team.  

2.   Tampa.  We know what happened there...D failed in crunch time in OT

3.   Cardinals.  Shocker but D failed him.  

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season.  Same.  

Let's hope Von can help us close games out.  

I don't think this is a fair assesment at all. 

Our offense (including Josh), did next to nothing against Tampa for the first half of the game. The defense played just as much of a part in helping us comeback at all. Against the Cardinals, Josh wasn't great either. We scored with seconds left for what looked like the go-ahead TD, but it was a very mediocre showing (2 TD's - 2 INT's, averaging 5 yards an attempt on nearly 50 passes, 77 passer rating, etc)... 

Defense gave up a Hail Mary which upset us all, but the only game I feel the D "filed him & team" was KC. In the other losses, the team - including Josh - failed EACH OTHER in many aspects. Play a cleaner game or more complete game from start to finish & we wouldn't need to make up a huge deficit to avoid a blowout or be within range of losing via Hail Mary. 

Von Miller can only do so much, same as anyone. There will be times the defense plays poorly, there will be times Josh & the offense play poorly, and there will even be times ST will be what costs us. You can only hope it all comes together more often than not & we're firing on all cylinders come playoff time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You can easily make an argument the offensive line still hasn’t been sufficiently upgraded…

Agreed. It was a clear issue throughout last season, and it keeps getting put on the backburner because Josh can often cover up some of those issues.

But there were many times you could see opposing pressure getting to Josh, sacks or not, and run blocking has made our backs look worse than they really are (not saying they're great, but hard to do much when you're immediately taking hits way in the backfield the second you touch the ball).

Josh with time is more capable than any QB in the league imo, but he's often asked to just make the best out of a mess. Our line isn't a dumpster fire, but they're hardly formidable or consistent either.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That is what I did...

Yes, you did that….but he has a daily quota he must fill.  100 post daily minimum slathering the board with his current agenda.  

This years agendas:  

-How our FO ignores offense and invests too much defense.

-coaching staff is too conservative by nature. 

Nothing else is ever discussed….until the cycle is complete and 2-10 more new agendas are formed.  

• Haha (+1) 4

As long as Josh is happy with McDermott, McDermott's job is safe.  The only time McDermott will be on the hot seat is if he POs Josh.  The bottom line is the franchise QB is the decider if a coach stays or goes-see Brady & Rodgers who both have been the real reason for coaching changes.  

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

That would be up to Beane and the Pegula's. But if you want a name then Sean Payton is available just as an example. I don't want McDermott fired but he has to produce with the roster he has. Coaches are in the business of winning and if you don't win then you know what happens. The Bills aren't rebuilding anymore. They are expected to win and compete for a Super Bowl. The pressure is on McDermott this season bigtime. Both from the local/national media and the fanbase.

I would take Payton over McD if McD doesn't show game management progress next year.  Yes, a small upgrade makes a big difference.  Love what McD has done to the "culture" here, but this past season/offseason has raised some eyebrows.  I know there are only rumors, but it seems some players and coaches have clashed with him.  Players and coaches have wanted out on a team with huge upside, that says something.  

The NFL is a business, and there is no reason why anyone should be "safe".  If McD can't deliver, get someone who can.  It's that simple.  I don't care how close he is to ultimate success.  Players have to prove it, so do coaches.  Don't get too attached to a coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

1.   KC.  We know what happened there.  D failed him and team.  

2.   Tampa.  We know what happened there...D failed in crunch time in OT

3.   Cardinals.  Shocker but D failed him.  

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season.  Same.  

Let's hope Von can help us close games out.  

Hebert, it’s not just Miller as that is really important, but other factors.  Jackson and Settle will only help Oliver And Phillips.  The last two will penetrate, but the first two will hold the run in check.

With a star CB if that happens will be a major upgrade.  We may actually be a true #1 defense with a star CB.  We have all the other missing pieces.  We don’t play the NFCS, and AFCS this year along with the Redskins.  Yeah I don’t care what foolish name they have this year.

We have the AFCN, and NFCN, the Titans, Chiefs, and the SB Champs Rams.  That’s a heckova schedule.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, phypon said:

I would take Payton over McD if McD doesn't show game management progress next year.  Yes, a small upgrade makes a big difference.  Love what McD has done to the "culture" here, but this past season/offseason has raised some eyebrows.  I know there are only rumors, but it seems some players and coaches have clashed with him.  Players and coaches have wanted out on a team with huge upside, that says something.  

The NFL is a business, and there is no reason why anyone should be "safe".  If McD can't deliver, get someone who can.  It's that simple.  I don't care how close he is to ultimate success.  Players have to prove it, so do coaches.  Don't get too attached to a coach.

So I am a huge Sean Payton fan..... but he reached one Superbowl in 15 years of an elite QB in New Orleans. If your knock on McDermottis he hasn't got the Bills over the hump, not sure Sean Payton is the perfect antidote. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I am a huge Sean Payton fan..... but he reached one Superbowl in 15 years of an elite QB in New Orleans. If your knock on McDermottis he hasn't got the Bills over the hump, not sure Sean Payton is the perfect antidote. 

I understand your point, but I feel that he would be a slight upgrade over McD.  Especially with that talent on this team.  This is a very talented team and Payton has the edge over McD when it comes to experience and that may be just enough to make a big difference.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, phypon said:

I understand your point, but I feel that he would be a slight upgrade over McD.  Especially with that talent on this team.  This is a very talented team and Payton has the edge over McD when it comes to experience and that may be just enough to make a big difference.

I think he can legit claim at this point to be an upgrade. He has a ring and McDermott doesn't. If McDermott climbs that mountain though then I think they'd be regarded pretty much level pegging as coaches. He still has at least 3 years to get it done in Buffalo IMO. If we have three more close but no cigar years then with Josh approaching his 30s you take a view on whether a change is needed. 

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

*WHO* would we hire to replace McD?

Could go with an experienced coach like Sean Payton. TB OC Byron Leftwich has been mentioned has someone who deserves a chance as an example for a first time coach. There would be plenty of options for Beane. I don't think McDermott would be fired this year unless something crazy happened like the Bills having a losing season then maybe it would be discussed. I do think questions will start to come up if he can be the guy to win a championship if the Bills don't at least make the Super Bowl. That is a different take then saying he should be fired.

8 minutes ago, phypon said:

I know it’s only rumors…..but those rumors state that players have clashed with McD…. So it seems to be true….because of the rumors…. But rumors….mmhmmm

which players wanted out?  The free agents that weren’t offered the contract they were looking for?  Any non free agents that want out due to the HC?  

which coaches wanted out?  
Oh the guy that was offered a head coaching job “wanted out”

the ST coach that wasn’t competent enough to do his job and tell his kicker to kick the ball in play “wanted out”? 

but rumors…..

4 minutes ago, phypon said:

The saints had a HoF QB + plenty of talent and missed the playoffs several years. 

Payton won his super bowl in his 4th year, coming off two seasons in which he didn’t even make the playoffs.  AfTer year 3, Brian Billick would’ve been a slight upgrade over  Sean Payton because he had an edge in experience…..but yeah.  No

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Could go with an experienced coach like Sean Payton. TB OC Byron Leftwich has been mentioned has someone who deserves a chance as an example for a first time coach. There would be plenty of options for Beane. I don't think McDermott would be fired this year unless something crazy happened like the Bills having a losing season then maybe it would be discussed. I do think questions will start to come up if he can be the guy to win a championship if the Bills don't at least make the Super Bowl. That is a different take then saying he should be fired.

I say there is NO chance the Bills fire McDermott for not being able to get over the hump and then hire a first time Head Coach to replace him. When teams make those sort of moves they generally hire proven Head Coaches. 

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Leftwich?  Oh man.  The building would burn.  And it should.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I say there is NO chance the Bills fire McDermott for not being able to get over the hump and then hire a first time Head Coach to replace him. When teams make those sort of moves they generally hire proven Head Coaches. 

I was just throwing names out there as examples to say Beane would have options. If the Bills did move on from McDermott then I think they would go with an experienced coach like Payton for example since the team is expected to contend. 

Just now, Greg S said:

I was just throwing names out there as examples to say Beane would have options. If the Bills did move on from McDermott then I think they would go with an experienced coach like Payton for example since the team is expected to contend. 

And he went to the dance once in 15 years with Drew Brees including some epic playoff collapses. Not that Payton isn't a great coach - he is. But it isn't straightforward to upgrade on a coach as good as McDermott.

• Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

And he went to the dance once in 15 years with Drew Brees including some epic playoff collapses. Not that Payton isn't a great coach - he is. But it isn't straightforward to upgrade on a coach as good as McDermott.

True and I don't think McDermott will get fired. My point is simply that questions will start to come up if he can be the coach to win a championship if he fails to do so this year with this roster. This will be year 6 for him not 2 or 3. At some point the Pegula's patience will run out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

True and I don't think McDermott will get fired. My point is simply that questions will start to come up if he can be the coach to win a championship if he fails to do so this year with this roster. This will be year 6 for him not 2 or 3. At some point the Pegula's patience will run out.

I agree the questions will ramp up each year that it is a near miss. I think while it is year 6 the first 3 years and the last 2 should be seen differently. It was a 3 year build they are now going into year 3 of their winning window IMO. If they are 5 or 6 years into that window and keep coming up short then the pressure will just keep increasing year on year. 

As for the Pegulas.... we don't have enough backstory on them to know how they will react in that scenario. What we do know is their record hiring GMs and coaches across two franchises stinks except for McDermott and Beane. It is only my gut instinct but I think that makes it less likely that they toss this duo aside easily. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.