Last 3 great comebacks by Josh...let's hope Von can give us a different result.

Hebert19

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Except I never said they ignored offense…. I said they prioritize their defense over offense….. and the coaching staffs conservative play calls offensively is what got them into a 9 point deficit against KC.

My bad, not sure how I could’ve missed that considering that you’ve made that same point evident in 99% of your posts over the last few months.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, phypon said:

I would take Payton over McD if McD doesn't show game management progress next year.  Yes, a small upgrade makes a big difference.  Love what McD has done to the "culture" here, but this past season/offseason has raised some eyebrows.  I know there are only rumors, but it seems some players and coaches have clashed with him.  Players and coaches have wanted out on a team with huge upside, that says something.  

The NFL is a business, and there is no reason why anyone should be "safe".  If McD can't deliver, get someone who can.  It's that simple.  I don't care how close he is to ultimate success.  Players have to prove it, so do coaches.  Don't get too attached to a coach.

1 hour ago, phypon said:

I think you're missing the point and the point of the person that I agreed with.  Me nor the other person is pining for or saying that we want Payton.  Get a grip, man.

Get a grip? Calm down Francis. I replied to you saying "I would take Payton over McD..." with my reasoning of why I wouldn't. 

So what exactly was your point? Since I so clearly missed it by reading you would would SP or McD

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

There is zero chance McDermott is on the hot seat after this year. Beane and McDermott are a package deal, letting go of one means letting both go. Pegula wouldn't be that stupid (I hope)

You never know. How good is this DL going to be? How much better is our secondary going to be? All we can say is we’ll see…

I’ll tell ya, if that DL (and in turn, the whole defense) bombs fans are going to be asking tons of questions….

Now, I don’t think it’s going to bomb, but it might not be much better than last year’s and a lot of fans might consider that a bomb…

We haven’t had a good DL since McBeane lost Kyle and Jerry got too old….which was the same time….

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On this I am not persuaded that the reason we were not hosting the entire post-season in Buffalo last year - the offensive line - has been upgraded or certainly not sufficiently so. If the oline lets the team down again then I think that would be a personnel issue not a coaching one. I take the point that even with that line we should have beaten KC but for 13 seconds, but it is a combination of those things. 

It was a coaching decision to run a more balanced gap/zone percentage toward the end of the year which coincided with the running game improving. Similarly it was the coaches who set the initial depth at oline and were only forced into a different lineup by injury…also coincided with immediately better pass protection. 

For two years running now Beane has outperformed McDermott imo

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season. 

Obviously we all do not think highly of the Defense and you are one of them.

There are plenty of times when offense went into pop gun road and defense needed to make plays to keep team in games.

A good example is playoff game vs Ravens where Trent Murphy neutralized Lemur Jackson on half of the field and Taron Johnson put nail in coffin.

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It was a coaching decision to run a more balanced gap/zone percentage toward the end of the year which coincided with the running game improving. Similarly it was the coaches who set the initial depth at oline and were only forced into a different lineup by injury…also coincided with immediately better pass protection. 

For two years running now Beane has outperformed McDermott imo

I don't think he did last year. He paid a RT who struggled so poorly they had to move him to guard. He paid a guard who was an absolute abomination and lost his job. He then had to cut both at the end of the year. He paid $6m for a washed up receiver. He restructured Butler rather than releasing him and he got outplayed by a former UDFA. He signed a punter who can't punt. He drafted a guy in round two who could barely get on the field. 

It wasn't all bad. But I wouldn't give Beane better than a C for 2021. He was an A for 2020 overall in my eyes, but I think his work last year left something to be desired. Beane is at his best when at his boldest IMO. When he gets conservative and sticks with what he knows he generally makes poorer decisions. I like that he has been bolder this offseason. That generally serves him well. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he did last year. He paid a RT who struggled so poorly they had to move him to guard. He paid a guard who was an absolute abomination and lost his job. He then had to cut both at the end of the year. He paid $6m for a washed up receiver. He restructured Butler rather than releasing him and he got outplayed by a former UDFA. He signed a punter who can't punt. He drafted a guy in round two who could barely get on the field. 

It wasn't all bad. But I wouldn't give Beane better than a C for 2021. He was an A for 2020 overall in my eyes, but I think his work last year left something to be desired. Beane is at his best when at his boldest IMO. When he gets conservative and sticks with what he knows he generally makes poorer decisions. I like that he has been bolder this offseason. That generally serves him well. 

All those combined don’t come close to losing to the Urban Meyer led Jaguars, which cost HFA and likely a Super Bowl.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

All those combined don’t come close to losing to the Urban Meyer led Jaguars, which cost HFA and likely a Super Bowl.

Which was an absolute abomination of a display from the personnel Beane had collected - particularly the offensive line. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Which was an absolute abomination of a display from the personnel Beane had collected - particularly the offensive line. 

Again, those pieces were able to perform above average both in pass pro and run block later in the year. It wasn’t magic. We lost to the Jags because of poor coaching.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Were those your takes last off-season?  I agree this off-season's moves seem better than last year's but I didn't have an issue with most of last year's decisions before the season began. 

Williams played very well at RT in 2020 and I think most thought it was a good move to bring him back.

Sanders was second on the team in receiving yards and 3rd in receptions in only 14 games.  He also had the second highest YPC at 14.9 - 3 more than Diggs.  $6M for 42 receptions is a lot but hardly a terrible deal.  Oh my I almost hit Submit Reply before checking myself. The NFL page with the WR stats for Bills in 2021 no longer lists Beasley.  Factoring Beasley's numbers, Sanders was 4th in receptions and 3rd in yards but he played 2 fewer games.   

As for Feliciano, that is as much on McD as it is on Beane.  Bates was the better player and it should have been known by the coaching staff before they decided to bring back Feliciano.  Ford being a bust is holding back the OL more than the money they spent on Feliciano.

100% agree on Butler and Haack.  Butler could have been cut and brought back on vet min salary or just replaced with an UDFA.  

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Were those your takes last off-season?  I agree this off-season's moves seem better than last year's but I didn't have an issue with most of last year's decisions before the season began. 

Williams played very well at RT in 2020 and I think most thought it was a good move to bring him back.

Sanders was second on the team in receiving yards and 3rd in receptions in only 14 games.  He also had the second highest YPC at 14.9 - 3 more than Diggs.  $6M for 42 receptions is a lot but hardly a terrible deal.  Oh my I almost hit Submit Reply before checking myself. The NFL page with the WR stats for Bills in 2021 no longer lists Beasley.  Factoring Beasley's numbers, Sanders was 4th in receptions and 3rd in yards but he played 2 fewer games.   

As for Feliciano, that is as much on McD as it is on Beane.  Bates was the better player and it should have been known by the coaching staff before they decided to bring back Feliciano.  Ford being a bust is holding back the OL more than the money they spent on Feliciano.

100% agree on Butler and Haack.  Butler could have been cut and brought back on vet min salary or just replaced with an UDFA.  

The only one of those decisions I liked at the time was Williams. I was against the rest of them. 

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

I'm an old dude. I remember back in the day after the Bills lost their third Super Bowl, by increasingly bigger margins, that Ralph firing the GM Polian rather than coach Marv Levy was stupid. I liked Marv, but still, that Bills team was rife with star players. If Marv couldn't win the SB with that roster, it made more sense to fire him than fire the man who built the roster. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Get a grip? Calm down Francis. I replied to you saying "I would take Payton over McD..." with my reasoning of why I wouldn't. 

So what exactly was your point? Since I so clearly missed it by reading you would would SP or McD

That it's not about Payton, Francis.  Duh!!  Payton has nothing to do with the point, he was an example.  Get it now?  Prob not...

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Again, those pieces were able to perform above average both in pass pro and run block later in the year. It wasn’t magic. We lost to the Jags because of poor coaching.

I'm not going to sit here and say coaching didn't play a part in it, but the way that game went it kinda made me think it looked as if it may have been one of those instances where Bills could have overlooked the Jags a little. I'm sure it was other things to place blame as it always is.

But that's just what I got from it as well. 

8 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not going to sit here and say coaching didn't play a part in it, but the way that game went it kinda made me think it looked as if it may have been one of those instances where Bills could have overlooked the Jags a little. I'm sure it was other things to place blame as it always is.

But that's just what I got from it as well. 

Because Jacksonville is actually good - I think people are missing this from that game. 

Their D was sneaky good.  

Terrible against the run - good against the pass. 

At the time we couldn't run the ball.  Or pass block well.  And the Jags felt they were playing their SB.  

It looked like the Pittsburgh game but also with like 12 penalties for 130 yards.

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s has to be Von, Ed, Tim and Groot backed up by AJ, Phillips, Jones and Boogie…. For certain, Von can’t do things by himself anymore. If the whole plays very good and we avoid major injuries I think we win a Super Bowl after all these years….

If not, the odds drop considerably, imho…. The DL is that important. And it’s on the whole line, not just Von, absolutely.

10 hours ago, Greg S said:

That would be up to Beane and the Pegula's. But if you want a name then Sean Payton is available just as an example. I don't want McDermott fired but he has to produce with the roster he has. Coaches are in the business of winning and if you don't win then you know what happens. The Bills aren't rebuilding anymore. They are expected to win and compete for a Super Bowl. The pressure is on McDermott this season bigtime. Both from the local/national media and the fanbase.

I get it but what part of winning is interpreted as bad ? They have won the east what 2 years in a row been to the AFC championship game & were 1 game away last year & most know if not for for the coin toss it would have been a entirely different season .

So with that seeing as they are a team now that is always in the play off hunt & win enough to be a part of that after only 3 years of winning like they have why would you want to get rid of him IMHO that makes no sense what so ever .

Look at the Steelers they keep their head coaches & despite Tomlin not having good years they don't just get rid of him because he is a winner and a really good coach so do we go back to the old Bills ways & fire every coach after 4 years that doesn't do well or do we take a page from the Steelers & keep our coach while winning & continue with the stability .

I will vote after the many years of the Bills not being relevant to keep a really good coach & go into the future with what we have as a HC & let him determine the path & i hope the Pegs think the same way because they have been changing coaches on the Sabres & that's not been good for the team so they have something to compare to . 

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

1.   KC.  We know what happened there.  D failed him and team.  

2.   Tampa.  We know what happened there...D failed in crunch time in OT

3.   Cardinals.  Shocker but D failed him.  

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season.  Same.  

Let's hope Von can help us close games out.  

Include the game against the Titans too....The Defense gave away 10 points in the 4th quarter including a go ahead TD. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Because Jacksonville is actually good - I think people are missing this from that game. 

Their D was sneaky good.  

Terrible against the run - good against the pass. 

At the time we couldn't run the ball.  Or pass block well.  And the Jags felt they were playing their SB.  

It looked like the Pittsburgh game but also with like 12 penalties for 130 yards.

The other Josh Allen had a helluva game that day

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.