Last 3 great comebacks by Josh...let's hope Von can give us a different result.

Hebert19

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

True and I don't think McDermott will get fired. My point is simply that questions will start to come up if he can be the coach to win a championship if he fails to do so this year with this roster. This will be year 6 for him not 2 or 3. At some point the Pegula's patience will run out.

I am sure the Pegulas are already sick and tired of being a perennial contender. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think this is a fair assesment at all. 

Our offense (including Josh), did next to nothing against Tampa for the first half of the game. The defense played just as much of a part in helping us comeback at all. Against the Cardinals, Josh wasn't great either. We scored with seconds left for what looked like the go-ahead TD, but it was a very mediocre showing (2 TD's - 2 INT's, averaging 5 yards an attempt on nearly 50 passes, 77 passer rating, etc)... 

Defense gave up a Hail Mary which upset us all, but the only game I feel the D "filed him & team" was KC. In the other losses, the team - including Josh - failed EACH OTHER in many aspects. Play a cleaner game or more complete game from start to finish & we wouldn't need to make up a huge deficit to avoid a blowout or be within range of losing via Hail Mary. 

Von Miller can only do so much, same as anyone. There will be times the defense plays poorly, there will be times Josh & the offense play poorly, and there will even be times ST will be what costs us. You can only hope it all comes together more often than not & we're firing on all cylinders come playoff time.

And the faliure in KC was coaching.  They kicked it through the endzone and then defended the sidelines/hail mary.  "The call did not get to Bass"?  I really think they got caught up in the excitement of the moment.  I dont think that will happen ever again.

There is no way that the Head Ball Coach gets fired anytime soon!

Personally, I think there is truth in the sentiment that our D fails us against offensively capable teams in tight contests.  There is a capability gap that exists somewhere between the defensive concept that we play and quality of athletes that we have to make negative plays like sacks, tackles for loss, and general chaos.  I don’t know what the answer is but they need to figure it out if they want to get to and win a Super Bowl.  

The last thing I’ll say is that we are all assuming that everything will be the same on offense since we have Josh.  That’s a nice thought, but I personally fear the transition to a new OC.  Things are going to change and it might not be what you think it is.  We’re assuming!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Think they both failed in OT against Bucs… the offense went 3 and out their first position of OT. 

Can McDermott's defense make a big stop in a big game? His mentality has to be more aggressive, more proactive as opposed to reactive. His players play really hard for him, but Frazier/Sean have to show teams that they can be more dynamic instead of sitting back and trying to hold teams to FGs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

April and the trolls already want to put McDermott on the hot seat.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

I agree. If we don't get to the Super Bowl this year then we need to get Rich Kotite off the couch. It's as simple as that

43 minutes ago, Greg S said:

True and I don't think McDermott will get fired. My point is simply that questions will start to come up if he can be the coach to win a championship if he fails to do so this year with this roster. This will be year 6 for him not 2 or 3. At some point the Pegula's patience will run out.

Andy Reid won a Superbowl in his 7th year in KC. McDermott is safe unless we start missing the playoffs in consecutive years.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You can easily make an argument the offensive line still hasn’t been sufficiently upgraded…

I guess that is a matter of perspective and of course we will have to see. Saffold should be an upgrade over the starters at guard last year.  But your point is well taken at RT. Brown struggled in pass protection.  If he gets better they should be ok but that is a question mark. 

I hope they take an OT that can play OG in the first three rounds.  That would give them options if Brown struggles.  They really don't have a capable swing tackle on the roster now.   I don't see Doyle as a long term option as even a swing tackle. He looked awful last year.  But who knows maybe he can get better too. 

While I am skeptical McD will ever win a SB, I agree he is not going anywhere in the next two years.  Even if the wheels fell off and the Bills missed the playoffs this year, he likely comes back. 

McD just has unforgivable losses for me that question if he will ever get a SB win.  Peterman starting on the road against the Chargers. Losing to the Patriots at home when the opposing QB throws three times.  Not having his team ready to play the season opener against Pittsburgh.  The Houston playoff game, and of course the 13 second nightmare.  
Again, he is not going anywhere this year even if there is locker room turmoil.  But if no SB win in the next two years with Allen how could he not be on the hot seat?  Almost all other coaches would be.  

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Says who. Gase was hired first by the Jets and he was instrumental in the Jets hiring Joe Douglas as the GM. Douglas is still the GM. Is Gase still the Jets coach? I am not saying McDermott gets fired if the Bills don't win the Super Bowl. But I do think his seat gets hot as far as questions will start to come about if he can be the guy to lead the Bills to a championship. This will be year 6 of McDermott. At some point he has to produce.

I get the SB or bust line of thinking, I really do. But to characterize McD as not having produced enough to keep his seat ‘cool’ would be an oversimplification imho. But I’m still looking at it from the relative standpoint of the bitter drought era, so…

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On this I am not persuaded that the reason we were not hosting the entire post-season in Buffalo last year - the offensive line - has been upgraded or certainly not sufficiently so. If the oline lets the team down again then I think that would be a personnel issue not a coaching one. I take the point that even with that line we should have beaten KC but for 13 seconds, but it is a combination of those things. 

Yeah that would be my assumption as well. I believe they will still add maybe a couple more additions to the OL draft/FA. I will say I do have more confidence with Kromer (as I'm sure many are as well) that we will see improvement in that area. At least I think they will start off the season much better than what we saw last year.

But yeah, if some reason they don't at least continue where they left off last quarter of previous season then it's likely personnel.

2 hours ago, phypon said:

I would take Payton over McD if McD doesn't show game management progress next year.  Yes, a small upgrade makes a big difference.  Love what McD has done to the "culture" here, but this past season/offseason has raised some eyebrows.  I know there are only rumors, but it seems some players and coaches have clashed with him.  Players and coaches have wanted out on a team with huge upside, that says something.  

The NFL is a business, and there is no reason why anyone should be "safe".  If McD can't deliver, get someone who can.  It's that simple.  I don't care how close he is to ultimate success.  Players have to prove it, so do coaches.  Don't get too attached to a coach.

Did you watch Payton's retirement press conference? Dude is done. He looked like he lost all of his fire for coaching. You want a guy like that in here? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It's honestly so sad to me how hard he and the offense fought to win those games, only to be let down. That's why 40 is here. 💯 

It is brutal. He was sitting on that bench thinking he got it done. Just brutal. Has to be crushing but he will bounce back.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Did you watch Payton's retirement press conference? Dude is done. He looked like he lost all of his fire for coaching. You want a guy like that in here? 

Yeah, I may be in the minority here, but I felt like S. Payton was/is a little over rated imo. Don't get me wrong, I do think he was a decent HC....but I just feel like he's been given a little more credit than he should have gotten by many.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, I may be in the minority here, but I felt like S. Payton was/is a little over rated imo. Don't get me wrong, I do think he was a decent HC....but I just feel like he's been given a little more credit than he should have gotten by many.

Outside of a single super bowl season, he has arguably been equal or worse than McDermott in the post season. Not to mention he had a 5 year veteran Brees when he started as opposed to McDermott with Taylor for a year and rookie Josh Allen for another.

So yes of course super bowl win trumps all but the guy couldnt get back to it in 11 years afterwards with Drew Brees at QB. 

Why do people think super bowl is the rule for him as opposed to the exception and that we are any more likely to get there with him over McDermott?

First 5 seasons - Payton

1-1 Loss NFCCG

No Playoffs

No Playoffs

Super Bowl win

0-1 Loss Wildcard

First 5 Seasons - McDermott

0-1 Loss Wildcard

No Playoffs

0-1 Loss Wildcard

2-1 Loss AFCCG

1-1 Loss Divisional

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think you're missing the point and the point of the person that I agreed with.  Me nor the other person is pining for or saying that we want Payton.  Get a grip, man.

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Outside of a single super bowl season, he has arguably been equal or worse than McDermott in the post season. Not to mention he had a 5 year veteran Brees when he started as opposed to McDermott with Taylor for a year and rookie Josh Allen for another.

So yes of course super bowl win trumps all but the guy couldnt get back to it in 11 years afterwards with Drew Brees at QB. 

Why do people think super bowl is the rule for him as opposed to the exception and that we are any more likely to get there with him over McDermott?

First 5 seasons - Payton

1-1 Loss NFCCG

No Playoffs

No Playoffs

Super Bowl win

0-1 Loss Wildcard

First 5 Seasons - McDermott

0-1 Loss Wildcard

No Playoffs

0-1 Loss Wildcard

2-1 Loss AFCCG

1-1 Loss Divisional

Yeah that's about where I'm at. Having Brees all those years certainly makes things a bit easier (as it would with any HC)...

But yeah, I just feel like he's gotten a bit too much credit. I think it mainly is from when he called the onside kick and got lucky in that Super Bowl. Outside of that he didn't do much else.

Considering the amount of talent on that teams roster he's had multiple years, they got many regular season wins that put them in position of being a top seed for post season so many times only to do nothing with it. They would look like a completely different team when playoffs started and knocked out early at times. 

Anyways, he's just nothing special imo

6 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

1.   KC.  We know what happened there.  D failed him and team.  

2.   Tampa.  We know what happened there...D failed in crunch time in OT

3.   Cardinals.  Shocker but D failed him.  

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season.  Same.  

Let's hope Von can help us close games out.  

Where’s the lie🧐

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.