Last 3 great comebacks by Josh...let's hope Von can give us a different result.

Hebert19

1.   KC.  We know what happened there.  D failed him and team.  

2.   Tampa.  We know what happened there...D failed in crunch time in OT

3.   Cardinals.  Shocker but D failed him.  

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season.  Same.  

Let's hope Von can help us close games out.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 7
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 11

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think McDermott goes on the hot seat if this team doesn't at least get to the Super Bowl. They have the talent to win it. The Miller signing is a "final piece" kind of move. I give McDermott credit for changing the culture of this franchise. I give him credit for 4 playoff appearances in 5 years as well as B2B AFCE titles. But that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. Its time to see the results. To me this is a Super Bowl or bust type of season. I know it won't be easy as the AFC is loaded with good teams/QB's. But if this team can stay healthy then they should be playing in Feb. IMHO

There is zero chance McDermott is on the hot seat after this year. Beane and McDermott are a package deal, letting go of one means letting both go. Pegula wouldn't be that stupid (I hope)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

There is zero chance McDermott is on the hot seat after this year. Beane and McDermott are a package deal, letting go of one means letting both go. Pegula wouldn't be that stupid (I hope)

Says who. Gase was hired first by the Jets and he was instrumental in the Jets hiring Joe Douglas as the GM. Douglas is still the GM. Is Gase still the Jets coach? I am not saying McDermott gets fired if the Bills don't win the Super Bowl. But I do think his seat gets hot as far as questions will start to come about if he can be the guy to lead the Bills to a championship. This will be year 6 of McDermott. At some point he has to produce.

Edited by Greg S
  • Agree 6

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I disagree. Yes, they are tied at the hip, but Beane has given McD more than enough talent to win with. He’s done his job. McD is the one that didn’t do a single right thing in the last 13 seconds of the chiefs game. That will follow him very closely this year if he doesn’t get over the hump. 

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

So if they were to fire McD who would they bring in there aren't many out there that have a better winning percentage than McD & I'm not sure that there amy be one out there that is or would be better .

After the drought i'd be happy with winning the east every year & getting deep in the play offs sure the ultimate goal is the super bowl & i will say if there are the type of break downs they had last year in the KC game & McD doesn't learn from those mistakes then yes it's time for a change .

But seeing as McD is only in his 6th yr as a HC & he has accomplished what he has in that period of time he is still young in his position & where was Andy Reid, Bill Parcels, Bill Belichek in their 6th season as head coach just saying i don't feel we need to throw the baby out with the bath water .

It will come & this year should be the year but S**T happens some times that is beyond peoples control & i don't think the Pegs will jump ship if the team is still winning .

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, T master said:

So if they were to fire McD who would they bring in there aren't many out there that have a better winning percentage than McD & I'm not sure that there amy be one out there that is or would be better .

After the drought i'd be happy with winning the east every year & getting deep in the play offs sure the ultimate goal is the super bowl & i will say if there are the type of break downs they had last year in the KC game & McD doesn't learn from those mistakes then yes it's time for a change .

But seeing as McD is only in his 6th yr as a HC & he has accomplished what he has in that period of time he is still young in his position & where was Andy Reid, Bill Parcels, Bill Belichek in their 6th season as head coach just saying i don't feel we need to throw the baby out with the bath water .

It will come & this year should be the year but S**T happens some times that is beyond peoples control & i don't think the Pegs will jump ship if the team is still winning .

That would be up to Beane and the Pegula's. But if you want a name then Sean Payton is available just as an example. I don't want McDermott fired but he has to produce with the roster he has. Coaches are in the business of winning and if you don't win then you know what happens. The Bills aren't rebuilding anymore. They are expected to win and compete for a Super Bowl. The pressure is on McDermott this season bigtime. Both from the local/national media and the fanbase.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

For as good as Josh is in the clutch (he has the ice cold gene), it's weird how many close games Buffalo lost last year.

This season, expect a "regression" back to the mean--i.e. we should win a bunch of close ones.

Those were weird close game outcomes.  It's also weird that Tyler Bass was not directly involved in the outcomes.  Someone did a preseason list of the 10 most important Bills players to the success of the 2021 season.   I thought Bass should definitely be on the list.  Good to great team, playing close, important games against strong opponents = FG kicker deciding the outcome.  Blowout wins and strange close game losses without Bass being a deciding factor.  He always looked ready to go make one but never got the chance to have the ball on his foot with the game on the line.  Weird is the word.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I know we all think highly of the D but when they are in tight against a good team, they play more like a bottom 10 D.   Against Indy in playoffs they almost blew that too.  Houston all the way back to 2019 season.  Same.  

Definitely some truth to this although in Tampa we had a chance to win it on O in regulation and failed and then won the toss got the ball first and went 3 and out. 

The other two - defense and coaching, for sure. Tampa was as much, if not more, on offense IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Says who. Gase was hired first by the Jets and he was instrumental in the Jets hiring Joe Douglas as the GM. Douglas is still the GM. Is Gase still the Jets coach? I am not saying McDermott gets fired if the Bills don't win the Super Bowl. But I do think his seat gets hot as far as questions will start to come about if he can be the guy to lead the Bills to a championship. This will be year 6 of McDermott. At some point he has to produce.

McDermott could out survive Beane. Beane could not out survive McDermott. This is Sean McDermott's franchise. We are all living in his world. If the Pegula's decide McDermott needs moving on (and they are not even close to thinking that IMO) then the hand picked GM who serves at McDermott's discretion would be out. No questions asked. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The difference there is Gase's teams were unmitigated disasters. McDermott has produced plenty. This team was a joke of a franchise 6 years ago, now its a powerhouse

20 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I disagree. Yes, they are tied at the hip, but Beane has given McD more than enough talent to win with. He’s done his job. McD is the one that didn’t do a single right thing in the last 13 seconds of the chiefs game. That will follow him very closely this year if he doesn’t get over the hump. 

The ST coach was fired as a result there. Mcdermott is a good coach and the Bills would be stupid to let him go

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I don't agree with this at all. 

I'm not even going to register an opinion on McD, but I believe there is no scenario where he gets fired in the next several years. What he's done to build this team and culture (as well as his relationship with Beane) buys him many, many months. I believe he still has probably 3 years before he can feel the seat getting warm. And if they go to/win a SB or 2, he's here for life.

And I'm ok with that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Maybe we can fire the coach every year we dont win the SB.  And blame the D for every close game we lose.  Simple. 

Every year no. This is year 6 of McDermott. At some point he has to produce. 0-4 on the road in the playoffs. Collapsed in the playoff game at Houston. 13 seconds which I still don't understand how that happened given KC had the ball starting at their own 25. I will say it again I don't think he gets fired if the Bills don't make the Super Bowl but it is fair to question if he is the guy to lead them to a championship if he fails again. Which means his seat starts to get hot. He doesn't get to keep the  job for life either if he can't produce.

42 minutes ago, Greg S said:

that isn't good enough anymore. The Pegula's have spent a lot money and Beane has given him a roster he should win with. 

On this I am not persuaded that the reason we were not hosting the entire post-season in Buffalo last year - the offensive line - has been upgraded or certainly not sufficiently so. If the oline lets the team down again then I think that would be a personnel issue not a coaching one. I take the point that even with that line we should have beaten KC but for 13 seconds, but it is a combination of those things. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

For as good as Josh is in the clutch (he has the ice cold gene), it's weird how many close games Buffalo lost last year.

This season, expect a "regression" back to the mean--i.e. we should win a bunch of close ones.

It's not weird when you can pin three of the losses, games in which Allen shined, on the defense.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Feel free to include:

4. Houston...leading 16-0 midway through the 3rd qtr. Defense failed again. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

We are not the Jets. We don't fire coaches or coordinators as a knee jerk reaction. Thankfully Beane and the Pegulas are running the show. McD would be snapped up in seconds.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.