NFL opens up independent investigation into Browns tanking during 2016-17 seasons

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, ALF said:

Hue Jackson's claims Browns incentivized him to lose spark inquiry

Jackson first made the claims on Twitter. He wrote Haslam was "was happy while we kept losing," and while it may not have been $100,000 he was offered to lose, Jackson assured followers, "Trust me it was a good number."

Jackson, who is now the head coach at Grambling State University, told ESPN in February there was money to be made for hitting certain milestones, like attaining a certain number of draft picks and being the youngest team in the league.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/incentivized-tanking-allegations-nfl-inquiry-browns

Jackson made these statements, and then a couple weeks he had backed off the statements:

Jackson tweeted in February that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam offered him "a good number" to lose games, though the team labeled the claim "completely fabricated." Jackson's accusation came shortly after former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores filed a discrimination lawsuit, which included an allegation that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered him $100,000 per loss in 2019.

The former Browns head coach later walked back his accusation, noting he "was never offered money like Brian (Flores) had mentioned." He added that the two situations were "totally different" yet had "some similarities."

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I know for a fact that Hue Jackson is a scumbag.  

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I know for a fact that Hue Jackson is a scumbag.  

I'm not saying he is or isn't but just curious how you know this to be fact? If they did happen to tank then they sure didn't make much use of it 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

9 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Sounds like a Maple Leaf fans, we won thirteen championships, the last of which was 1967. Yayyyyy! If you are still pointing to that scoreboard expecting to be taken seriously, that’s just sad. 

Cleveland won four championships in a 14 team league from 1950-1964. They haven’t won anything in the NFL in 58 years. The Bills haven’t won anything in the NFL in 52 years. Neither franchise’s fan base should be celebrating their teams unparalleled success in the NFL.

I am turning 50 this year, while the Bills AFL championships are nice, they mean very little to me. I feel like there needs to be a statute of limitations on championships. When do they become irrelevant? 50 years since the last championship? 100? Then again we still point to the scoreboard on the Brits every July 4th and we closed out that game in 1781. 

That was my point. The Bills fan base has no reason to tear down any other franchise.

40 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not saying he is or isn't but just curious how you know this to be fact? If they did happen to tank then they sure didn't make much use of it 

The dude talked out both sides of his mouth the entire time in Cleveland.  Never took blame for anything.  Said he was offered money to tank, then backtracked when he realized he could get in major trouble for it.  "Pulled rank" as the head coach over stupid stuff.  

Also, if they did tank, which I think is somewhat true depending on your definition, they ended up with Garrett, Ward, Mayfield (not worth the 1st pick obviously), Chubb, with Ward and Chubb being from acquired picks, and Chubb being the free pick from the Osweiler trade.

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

The dude talked out both sides of his mouth the entire time in Cleveland.  Never took blame for anything.  Said he was offered money to tank, then backtracked when he realized he could get in major trouble for it.  "Pulled rank" as the head coach over stupid stuff.  

Also, if they did tank, which I think is somewhat true depending on your definition, they ended up with Garrett, Ward, Mayfield (not worth the 1st pick obviously), Chubb, with Ward and Chubb being from acquired picks, and Chubb being the free pick from the Osweiler trade.

Got ya. I'm sure you know much more as a Browns fan than I about him as HC. I was going to say how did you get Baker because I misread thinking it was the 2016 season leading up to 2017 draft and obviously Baker was 2018. But looked again and saw it says 2016-2017 

53 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Next up: An investigation of the Bills from 2000 to 2017, how could one franchise be so dreadfully and predictably bad for 17 years. There has to be something to this.

I was waiting for someone to say it.

As Ron White (blue collar comedy tour guy) said ”You can’t fix Stupid”.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

TL;DR  Browns - it turns out you just really sucked 

As expected....difficult to find evidence when the team mostly having only 3-5 or so wins year after year for so long. Hard to know if they were tanking or not because they sucked hardcore (throat goat type extreme sucking) all that time. Lol

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

TL;DR  Browns - it turns out you just really sucked 

Now they are being investigated for drafting Baker number 1

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, CSBill said:

Next up: An investigation of the Bills from 2000 to 2017, how could one franchise be so dreadfully and predictably bad for 17 years. There has to be something to this.

I honestly think Old Ralph was trolling us when he brought Jauron back for year 4. I remember him laughing on the call about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hue Jackson claimed he was given bonuses for things like most snaps by rookies or having the youngest roster in the league.  So the "independent" investigation can find that there were no specific decisions to incentivize losses without Jackson lying about the specific bonuses that he did receive.

34 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Hue Jackson claimed he was given bonuses for things like most snaps by rookies or having the youngest roster in the league.  So the "independent" investigation can find that there were no specific decisions to incentivize losses without Jackson lying about the specific bonuses that he did receive.

Hue Jackson initially agreed to talk with Mary Jo White for this investigation.  Then he never showed up.  He had his chance to say anything he wanted to and back it up. 

He had nothing.  Instead, the investigation confirmed he is the worst HC in NFL history--who didn't already know that?

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

Hue Jackson did nothing but blame everyone else for his problems, and the "incentivizing losses" comment was just another chance to try to clear his name.  I honestly think that the Browns plan then was to stockpile draft capital and salary cap in a complete and total rebuild, and losing naturally comes with that most of the time.  But I don't think the plan was to lose as many games as possible.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.