Marshawn Lynch, NHL Owner

PromoTheRobot

27 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

It's interesting to me about how he was an unknown with the Bills and then became this big pop culture star once he left.  

Crazy how being on a floundering 6-10 team in the league's smallest market didnt do as much for his brand as being on a Super Bowl winning team in a major West Coast market with (what was) the league's richest owner. Curious. 🤔

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm no longer a fan/viewer of the Grammy's on TV; but to say that most Grammy winners are the worst performers is just silly.

I'd agree with this point.  Also, the direction the thread was going was that the person posting did not know who Maclemore was and had never heard of him.  Whether ones likes the Grammys or not, and whether the Grammys go to the most talented artist is not the point.  I think the point is that a musician who has won 5 Grammys is hardly an unknown.  Maybe the person who had never heard of Maclemore is a little out of touch with popular culture.

I can relate, as songs come on the radio that my wife and kids know and I have never heard of.  My wife knows who all of the Hollywood stars are and I have no idea who many of them are (and I really don't care), so I am out of touch with pop culture too.

I have heard of Maclemore and like a couple of his songs and I am pretty far from the demographic of someone you'd peg to listen to rap music.  Good for him, good for the Seattle hockey club, and good for the NHL.  If the NHL wants to catch up with the NFL and NBA in popularity (a tall task), affiliating with pop culture stars who resonate with young people is a smart idea.  Getting some connections with minority communities is also a good step towards widening its audience.

As to Lynch, he definitely matured after leaving Buffalo.  Given the presence of Fred Jackson at the time, and the stupid drafting of CJ Spiller, it made sense for the BIlls to move on from him.  Lynch also, I believe, got paired with some good agents/management who have tapped into his "unconventional" charisma and turned him into a media star.  My wife (again) who is not a big sports fan or NFL fan knows and loves Lynch, the media star, whereas I know Lynch the football player.

Edited by msw2112

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Crazy how being on a floundering 6-10 team in the league's smallest market didnt do as much for his brand as being on a Super Bowl winning team in a major West Coast market with (what was) the league's richest owner. Curious. 🤔

One of those unsolved mysteries.  

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He also made one of the great plays in NFL history in a playoff game on national TV.  That doesn't hurt one's brand.  I'm sure most of the NFL fans on this board remember it well.  You need to click on the "Watch on YouTube" link to watch it:

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

He needs to go Beastmode on that lame logo. You could do so much with a Kraken. They did the least possible. The least offensive. The most bland corporate yet vaguely city related. I wanted evil eyes and tentacles sprouting from a space needle or something. But no animal at all. Not even a fun mascot for the kiddos. Swing and a miss. 

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

He needs to go Beastmode on that lame logo. You could do so much with a Kraken. They did the least possible. The least offensive. The most bland corporate yet vaguely city related. I wanted evil eyes and tentacles sprouting from a space needle or something. But no animal at all. Not even a fun mascot for the kiddos. Swing and a miss. 

Perhaps, but Beastmode Kyler Murray's Transformer logo. 😁

image.thumb.png.8a0766eb4fe0f00420e7e508c0265dd5.png

16 minutes ago, benderbender said:

They really should start each game with a human sacrifice and the crowd chanting "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", but the corporate stooges are too afraid to offend anyone.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

As to Lynch, he definitely matured after leaving Buffalo.  Given the presence of Fred Jackson at the time, and the stupid drafting of CJ Spiller, it made sense for the BIlls to move on from him.  Lynch also, I believe, got paired with some good agents/management who have tapped into his "unconventional" charisma and turned him into a media star.  My wife (again) who is not a big sports fan or NFL fan knows and loves Lynch, the media star, whereas I know Lynch the football player.

You could see it when he was in Buffalo, when he did this "interview"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.