Sunday Football non-football Pats @ Bills 2011 Fitz Comeback

Chandler#81

Curse you OP! I have a looong list of things that needed to be done weeks ago, and I just spent most of my morning on quarters 1-3…

Plenty of fun and pain to go around watching this… but mostly all I can think is Freddy Freddy Freddy, where are you now?, it would be so fun to have you here on this much better version of the Bills.

He is such a joy to watch… I’m trying my best to put it aside and ‘accomplish something’, as my Mom would say.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

One of my all time favorite Bills games! 👍

Me too.  I've rewatched the end of that game probably 10 times over the years.  Here are some of my favorite memories:

1. If you loved Fred Jackson (and who among us didn't) this was him at his best.  What a player, wasted on so many mediocre teams.

2. Hate Bellichik as much as you want (and I do), you have to hand it to him.  What a great football mind.  With all the hoo-ha around whether Fred's carry was a touchdown or not, once the referees made the call he knew right away that he needed to use an immediate timeout because the clock would start on the referee's ready signal.  (Rich Gannon, in the booth, never had a clue why NE had taken the timeout.)

3. Chan Gailey was probably the best coach we had during the dark years.

4. First Bill win against NE since the Sam Adams/Lawyer Milloy game (31-0)

5. And best of all - four Brady interceptions including a pick-6.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Me too.  I've rewatched the end of that game probably 10 times over the years.  Here are some of my favorite memories:

1. If you loved Fred Jackson (and who among us didn't) this was him at his best.  What a player, wasted on so many mediocre teams.

2. Hate Bellichik as much as you want (and I do), you have to hand it to him.  What a great football mind.  With all the hoo-ha around whether Fred's carry was a touchdown or not, once the referees made the call he knew right away that he needed to use an immediate timeout because the clock would start on the referee's ready signal.  (Rich Gannon, in the booth, never had a clue why NE had taken the timeout.)

4. First Bill win against NE since the Sam Adams/Lawyer Milloy game (31-0)

5. And best of all - four Brady interceptions including a pick-6.

Pretty sure your point#2 is incorrect.  Seemed to that the ref threw that flag and took away the 2nd timeout because BB wasn’t able to deal with the ref’s explanations (presumably the question was the amount of time remaining). BB didn’t call a timeout there, the ref imposed it; Gannon’s confusion was over why BB would choose to argue so much.

Painful to be reminded of: Gronk, Welker and Brady even though it’s possibly one of his top five worst career games.

A great watch, Freddy, Fitz, Stevie, Jones…Kyle, Merriman, Florence, Scott, Byrd.  Moorman & Lindell.  Funniest to me was Mr. Stoner Dareus making his notable individual contribution by getting his head bonked with the ball….

And no, I haven’t managed to check anything off my list…kind of like a regular game day w/o the  cocktails…

• Like (+1) 1

This was this and my son's first game together.  He was 10.  Had to explain the entire stadium chanting"#######" every time belecheck stepped on the field.  

Trying to remember what defensive line man lost his temper at the end of the game and gave us the unsportsmanlike so we could take the clock all the way down. 

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

It isn't saying much, but I agree with this.  Greggo was a psychopath.  Mularkey was not head coaching material.  Jauron was lifeless and never showed emotion.  Marrone thought way too much of himself.  Same with Rex.

Chan had miserable talent outside of a few players like Fred, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams and Eric Wood.  He was only a .333 career head coach for the Bills - the worst of the drought, but his offenses were fun to watch and his players seemed to enjoy playing for him.  If we're going to miss the playoffs anyway, I'd rather have a fun offense to watch than be subjected to 8-0 and 6-3 games against Cleveland.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rhode Island Red said:

Pretty sure your point#2 is incorrect.  Seemed to that the ref threw that flag and took away the 2nd timeout because BB wasn’t able to deal with the ref’s explanations (presumably the question was the amount of time remaining). BB didn’t call a timeout there, the ref imposed it; Gannon’s confusion was over why BB would choose to argue so much.

Painful to be reminded of: Gronk, Welker and Brady even though it’s possibly one of his top five worst career games.

A great watch, Freddy, Fitz, Stevie, Jones…Kyle, Merriman, Florence, Scott, Byrd.  Moorman & Lindell.  Funniest to me was Mr. Stoner Dareus making his notable individual contribution by getting his head bonked with the ball….

And no, I haven’t managed to check anything off my list…kind of like a regular game day w/o the  cocktails…

Nope. Rhode Island Red is absolutely correct.  The clock would have kept running if the officials had gotten ithe call right on the field. But since they called it a TD then had to reverse it, the clock needed to start again. Official went over to explain this to Bellicheat and he didn’t like it one bit, but he had no choice but to take the time out. They technically should have put about 10 seconds back because at first the clock kept running until they signaled TD but never corrected it for the timeout, assuming Bellicheat would have taken it right away. And yes, the announcers were completely clueless. Classic game which I’ll never forget.

Edited by Jukester
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jukester said:

And yes, the announcers were completely clueless.

Yea they would talk about how great Br*dy was and when Fitzpatrick did seem thing as him would talk like it was bad.

But then they would say how fast Fitzpatrick was getting balls out and throwing balls so hard and fast that if was difficult to defend.

Jones and Jackson were playing excellent that game. 

P*ts was slanting coverage on Stevie and Jones took advantage of their corner.

Oh and I loved New England wanted Gannon to use him as a DB.  What a massive foobar by Beli-cheat as Shula referred to him.

That was a great game but honestly I don't want to look back at great games during the 17 year playoff less streak. We are way beyond that now since we have our first franchise QB since Kelly. The bar has been raised now as its Super Bowl or bust. 

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Jukester said:

Nope. Rhode Island Red is absolutely correct.  The clock would have kept running if the officials had gotten ithe call right on the field. But since they called it a TD then had to reverse it, the clock needed to start again. Official went over to explain this to Bellicheat and he didn’t like it one bit, but he had no choice but to take the time out. They technically should have put about 10 seconds back because at first the clock kept running until they signaled TD but never corrected it for the timeout, assuming Bellicheat would have taken it right away. And yes, the announcers were completely clueless. Classic game which I’ll never forget.

I think you got the posters confused.  Rhode Island Red is absolutely INCORRECT, I was the one who said that Belichik called the timeout.  Rhode Island Red said "the ref imposed it" which I think has no basis in the rules.

And the reason Gannon was confused was because he's not very good at the TV thing.

I remember everybody in the GDT going apebleep over Belicheat calling the TO there.  I tried to tell them that he had to call the TO because since Fred didn't score on the play, the clock should have continued to run.  Belicheat had to call the TO as soon as the ball was whistled into play.  If not, the Bills could have run 40 seconds off the clock before snapping it.  But everyone on the GDT saw Belicheat losing it, and thought he screwed up.  Wrong.

The other beautiful part of the end of this game was watching the entire Patriots team melting down, showing their true colors.  For all their talk of "character" and "do your job", they tried every dirty trick in the book to get the Bills to react.  They cheap-shotted Fitz on every play after that, did the Joe Klecko by jumping Offside to get a free hit on Fitzy, etc.  Fitz picked himself up off the ground every time, and just laughed in their faces.  It was beautiful.  Not only did we beat them, we humiliated them and showed the world what poor sports and sore losers the Cheats franchise really is.

Lastly, the 2011 season ended when London Fletcher drilled Fitz in the WTF game.  Fitz was never the same that year, was probably playing with fractured ribs.  To add insult to injury, Fred Jackson had his MVP season ended when he broke his leg against the Fish three weeks later.  The wheels came off, and after a 5-5 start, the Bills wheezed and gasped to the finish line 1-5, finalizing their 6-10 season.  Ah, what might have been.  

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The other beautiful part of the end of this game was watching the entire Patriots team melting down, showing their true colors.  For all their talk of "character" and "do your job", they tried every dirty trick in the book to get the Bills to react.  They cheap-shotted Fitz on every play after that, did the Joe Klecko by jumping Offside to get a free hit on Fitzy, etc.  Fitz picked himself up off the ground every time, and just laughed in their faces.  It was beautiful.  Not only did we beat them, we humiliated them and showed the world what poor sports and sore losers the Cheats franchise really is.

There was much press after that game on how "bad sports" they were.  Then after a few games press went back to being their lap dogs,

That game looked a lot like the Bills Giants Superbowl game with defense constantly taking cheat shots at Bills players and Billi-cheat was DC then.

Personally I think when they be chippy and take shots then the Bills players need to do the same since bullies often cannot take what they give out.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.