I might be an outlier here...... Draft needs

Yantha

On 4/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, Yantha said:

Hey folks,

I might be an outlier here, but my mind has changed a few times in the lead up to the draft.  After we've added a few key pieces to our roster, and lost a few others, I'm starting to think that our draft needs have shifted.... surprisingly in my opinion to OFFENSE moreso than defense.

Hear me out.

Positional groups needs I think are in the following order of "need".  While I DO understand that some positions are more noticeable if the team is weaker at that position (like QB, Cornerback), here are our positional grouping needs  in order of weakest to strongest.

Center:  I feel that Center has been the most sneaky need this team has, and feel that the position MUST be upgraded in the early rounds, without question.  Not only do we lack depth but Morse needs and upgrade as the starter.  

Tight End:  We have one of the best QB's in the league but completely lack the TE option on this team.  In KC, Kelce is such a threat that their WR's look that much better since safeties can't double cover or drop too deep for support.  I'd say a second rounder on TE is a serious option for the upcoming draft.

Guard:  Part of the reason we haven't had a great running game is due to the lack of a dominant, run-blocking front.  While I feel that our runningbacks in their own right don't exactly instill fear in opposing defenses, an upgrade at ONE guard spot could help in this regard.  Hoping for a balanced target, but one that has a nasty streak that can can create some inside lanes.  It MIGHT even help Moss elevate his game.

Runningback:  We suck.  Sorry but we do.  I used to be a big Tomlinson fan and have been longing to see a DOMINANT run game from the Bills.  Having the THUNDER to go with Allen's lightning would have a domino effect of helping out Diggs/Davis on the outside.  Stack the box?  Well that would help our NEW TE, as well as our WRs.

Defensive End:  Yes, I know I'm an outlier here, but IF we don't bring back Hughes, I feel that's a bigger loss than some on this board feel.  Boogie, Epensa, Addison, Lawson are all playing at a backup level (on this playoff caliber team).  

Cornerback:  This is where I have cornerback, but it likely bumps up to somewhere near the top because, like I mentioned, corner is one of those positions where you've GOT to have quality starters or the whole game will unravel.  I think we need not one, but two additions.  I think that Taron Johnson might be the only corner I feel somewhat happy with.  Siran Neal should NOT start.

Agree with all this, especially the interior OL positions.  I have always been a BPA  advocate, but I think that in this draft with the Bills draft position, BPA and need may very well coincide, especially in the first round.  #25 is an excellent spot to find a top quality center or guard, and drafting one that could start in September could be the best way to improve the running game even if the Bills don't add a RB early.  That's not even considering how much improved protection could help the passing game.

• Agree 1

It would appear that the OP is the outlier he secretly hoped he would be.      

His takes are lacking basic knowledge of what the FO and coaching staff have been and are doing, as has been pointed out by many others in this thread, he and other posters in various threads have advocated for creating notable holes in the line up at what is one of our best windows of opportunity to win the big one, oh well,

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

The OP must work for the Athletic as article today with mock draft has Bills taking center in first round.  LOL  Not sure I buy it but....  Can he also play guard?  Doesn't say, if so could more see this happening and he starts out at guard.

https://theathletic.com/3249591/2022/04/18/nfl-mock-draft-smokescreen-season-at-no-1-texans-eagles-trade-up-for-defensive-cornerstones/

Tyler Linderbaum, Center, Iowa

Interior offensive linemen have been an issue for Buffalo during Josh Allen’s tenure as quarterback, and Linderbaum provides an immediate salve to a group that was leaky in protection early in 2021. The best quarterbacks and offensive coordinators rave about what an elite center does for an offense play-to-play, and Linderbaum may well be an All-Pro before he completes his rookie contract.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The OP must work for the Athletic as article today with mock draft has Bills taking center in first round.  LOL  Not sure I buy it but....  Can he also play guard?  Doesn't say, if so could more see this happening and he starts out at guard.

https://theathletic.com/3249591/2022/04/18/nfl-mock-draft-smokescreen-season-at-no-1-texans-eagles-trade-up-for-defensive-cornerstones/

Interior offensive linemen have been an issue for Buffalo during Josh Allen’s tenure as quarterback, and Linderbaum provides an immediate salve to a group that was leaky in protection early in 2021. The best quarterbacks and offensive coordinators rave about what an elite center does for an offense play-to-play, and Linderbaum may well be an All-Pro before he completes his rookie contract.

Thanks for posting this!

352204045_ScreenShot2022-04-18at9_22_31PM.thumb.png.d6378fe16682c62ff89e66791ae4af69.png

So if the above article were right (and with the writer's justification of such a pick), my guess is that Morse would slide to Guard.  I'd approach the rest of the draft as above.  I wanted CB in round 3, but the value wasn't there.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

FWIW, the draft network guys seem to think he’s a center-exclusive prospect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Yantha said:

352204045_ScreenShot2022-04-18at9_22_31PM.thumb.png.d6378fe16682c62ff89e66791ae4af69.png

So if the above article were right (and with the writer's justification of such a pick), my guess is that Morse would slide to Guard.  I'd approach the rest of the draft as above.  I wanted CB in round 3, but the value wasn't there.

that’s a hideous mock.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Defense posted gaudy numbers last year against bad teams and backup QBs. Even if healthy, it needs help. A top CB, LB (big nickel?) to replace Klein, and another pass rusher for depth. They could also tee up a replacement for Poyer.

They’ve already proven this spring to be looking for a more explosive RB, also scouting TE heavily. Probably also an IOL who can develop long-term at C.

1 - DB/RB

2 - RB/DB

3 - OL/LB

4 - LB/OL

5 - TE/Edge

6 - Edge/TE

6 - OL/DB

7 - DB/OL

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Yantha said:

And another article from "right here" on TE Likely as a potential target.  Projects to the 3rd or 4th round.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/draft-profile-tight-end-isaiah-likely-could-bring-downfield-presence-to-bills/article_cab968fe-ba93-11ec-b5d4-2309fca42ab8.html

Yes but if you want to take credit for that one, right below is an article talking about them taking the Safety Hamilton, a position you stated they can ignore.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for contributing nedboy7.

From what I'm seeing, there are a core group of nay-sayers but also some who agree with some of the points I layed out.  I know I differ in opinion than most, hence the outlier thread topic.

I'm holding strong on the need to create dominant run game and give Allen more protection.  That includes targeting Hall or KWIII, and shoring up the interior OL (and for me, that includes Center, a point that many disagree on, but that's okay).  

TE seems to be another point of contention.  I DO like Knox, but think we can add another TE.

Some squabble over where I had CB, but I still feel that we should target CB in the first three rounds despite where they are on my list (because, like I said in the OP, that position is "amplified" if you will.... and being weak at CB or QB, those positions have to be addressed earlier in drafts).

Anyways, I like the way Airseven outlined himself and I'll do the same.  

NOTE:  If a top 15 prospect slips to 25, go with BPA, including WR, LB, OT, DT, S (and of course any positions listed below)

Round1:  CB, OC, OG, RB (but only in a trade down).  May need to trade UP for a corner in the first, because I feel that the best first round corners will be gone before 25, and I hate when teams reach on "need" and miss out on "value".  Remember though, we would need a trade partner, which does not always happen, so for me, if the top CB's are gone, we should stick with VALUE and I believe that would be an interior O-lineman.  Linderbaum (the player we seem to be all upset over....) has been flying off the mock drafts earlier than 25 in some cases, so he might not even be an option.  We MAY be looking at an OG in round one if one of the top 15 prospects does not slip to us.  Best value, BPA, and a position of need.

Round 2:  Depending on what we get in round one; CB, OC, OG, RB, TE.  (If we get a position above, cross it off the list).  This is where I feel we may need to either trade down to get Hall or KWIII OR trade up to the top of the second.    I strongly feel that Allen and our WRs would explode next season if we had defenses having to contend with a top 5 running game.  

Round 3:  CB, Interior OL, TE.  Here is where I'm hoping for either McBride, Likely, or Ruckert.  HOWEVER, if we still haven't landed a cornerback, I think you have to go Corner unless Beane finds some magical way to get a starting corner outside of the draft.  We've seen draft day player trades before so although it's rare, I'll be looking out for it on draft day.

For the rest of the draft, I basically think BPA is the way to go and my positions are below.  Numbers below that.

Round 4:  CB (I would pick CB in any round as we not only need a starter, but better depth), DE, DT, OT, LB, WR 

Round 5:  CB (I would pick CB in any round as we not only need a starter, but better depth), DE, DT, OT, LB, WR 

Round 6:  CB (I would pick CB in any round as we not only need a starter, but better depth), DE, DT, OT, LB, WR 

Round 7:  CB (I would pick CB in any round as we not only need a starter, but better depth), DE, DT, OT, LB, WR 

Numbers:

No more than two CB

No more than one OC

No more than one TE

No more than two OG

No more than two RB

No more than two LB

No more than two WR

No more than one DE

The reality is, that on this high talent roster, late round picks will have a hard time making the 53 man roster, and will be more likely destined for the PS, and developed.  Cornerbacks have a chance.  I'd say linebackers as well.

Edited by Yantha

12 hours ago, freddyjj said:

So do we bench Saffold or Bates this year?

Depends on whether we draft a very high round OG this year that proves in training camp that he could beat out Saffold or Bates.  For all we know, we might just draft a few developmental Interior O-linemen, and run with our current starters.  Depends on what the draft provides.

Morse has injury & concussion history, but as far as ability & skill, wouldn't place him at the top of the list in terms of weakest positions.

O-line play as a whole has been mediocre though, so looking to improve it in any way would be nice to see. And Knox may not be Kelce-level, but few TE's are. He's certainly very capable & a legit TD threat at any given point, so I'd hardly say that position is 2nd worst on the squad either (adding OJ is nice, but don't quite think it moves the needle much either).

I can at least understand most of the rest (aside from the "thumbs down to Milano" part).  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.