I might be an outlier here...... Draft needs

Yantha

8 hours ago, Yantha said:

From PFF:

"BUFFALO BILLS: C MITCH MORSE 

Cut cap savings: $8,500,000
Cut dead money: $2,750,000

The Bills signed center Morse to a four-year, $44 million contract heading into quarterback Josh Allen’s second season, an important addition to help the young signal-caller make protection calls and oversee a high-octane offense. While Morse has been solid if unspectacular, he agreed to a pay cut prior to the 2021 season and followed that up with his lowest pass-blocking and run-blocking grades so far in Buffalo. 

Buffalo has made it clear that protecting Allen is its top priority going forward, but the $8.5 million in potential savings from releasing Morse may help accomplish that goal more than retaining him.  "

Morse has signed a new deal since then.

• Like (+1) 1

Mitch Morse's new two year deal was restructured so that after the 2022 season, he can be cut or retiring without a sizeable dead cap hit.

We definitely need to have someone on the roster to take over the Centre position in 2023 and it ain't Back Up Bates.

We need not one but two young Guards to improve our running game and protect our $250M QB.  I like Zak Tom in the 3rd round who could start at Guard in 2022 and shift over to Centre in 2023.

The position I believe you missed is the 1DT to replace Star.  The DTs we signed are not suitable for that role. 

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Mitch Morse's new two year deal was restructured so that after the 2022 season, he can be cut or retiring without a sizeable dead cap hit.

We definitely need to have someone on the roster to take over the Centre position in 2023 and it ain't Back Up Bates.

We need not one but two young Guards to improve our running game and protect our $250M QB.  I like Zak Tom in the 3rd round who could start at Guard in 2022 and shift over to Centre in 2023.

The position I believe you missed is the 1DT to replace Star.  The DTs we signed are not suitable for that role. 

No doubt we need depth at center. But it isn't our number 1 need. Or even close to it as the OP claims. 

Agree on Tom by the way. I have only got to him in the last 2 weeks. I didn't even know who he was three weeks ago. I really like him. He is very Mitch Morse like. College tackle whose best NFL fit is as a center on a pass heavy offense. 

As for 1tech that is what Da'Quan Jones is, or at least was in Tennessee. Not sure how Carolina used him last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Not arguing with you other points but Morse's dead cap after 2022 season is 5M which I consider sizeable. It's not the end of the world but it's quite a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

@Yantha

A for grammar.

A for sentence structure and use of paragraphs.

A for punctuation.

F for content.  

Your takes on C, TE and what position Von Miller will play undercut your credibility elsewhere on anything football related.  

And "hear me out" is usually an admission that a poster already knows deep down inside that they are mistaken. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

18 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hey folks,

I might be an outlier here, but my mind has changed a few times in the lead up to the draft.  After we've added a few key pieces to our roster, and lost a few others, I'm starting to think that our draft needs have shifted.... surprisingly in my opinion to OFFENSE moreso than defense.

Hear me out.

Positional groups needs I think are in the following order of "need".  While I DO understand that some positions are more noticeable if the team is weaker at that position (like QB, Cornerback), here are our positional grouping needs  in order of weakest to strongest.

Center:  I feel that Center has been the most sneaky need this team has, and feel that the position MUST be upgraded in the early rounds, without question.  Not only do we lack depth but Morse needs and upgrade as the starter.  

Tight End:  We have one of the best QB's in the league but completely lack the TE option on this team.  In KC, Kelce is such a threat that their WR's look that much better since safeties can't double cover or drop too deep for support.  I'd say a second rounder on TE is a serious option for the upcoming draft.

Guard:  Part of the reason we haven't had a great running game is due to the lack of a dominant, run-blocking front.  While I feel that our runningbacks in their own right don't exactly instill fear in opposing defenses, an upgrade at ONE guard spot could help in this regard.  Hoping for a balanced target, but one that has a nasty streak that can can create some inside lanes.  It MIGHT even help Moss elevate his game.

Runningback:  We suck.  Sorry but we do.  I used to be a big Tomlinson fan and have been longing to see a DOMINANT run game from the Bills.  Having the THUNDER to go with Allen's lightning would have a domino effect of helping out Diggs/Davis on the outside.  Stack the box?  Well that would help our NEW TE, as well as our WRs.

Defensive End:  Yes, I know I'm an outlier here, but IF we don't bring back Hughes, I feel that's a bigger loss than some on this board feel.  Boogie, Epensa, Addison, Lawson are all playing at a backup level (on this playoff caliber team).  

Cornerback:  This is where I have cornerback, but it likely bumps up to somewhere near the top because, like I mentioned, corner is one of those positions where you've GOT to have quality starters or the whole game will unravel.  I think we need not one, but two additions.  I think that Taron Johnson might be the only corner I feel somewhat happy with.  Siran Neal should NOT start.

Offensive Tackle:  Could use an upgrade, and if we go OT, it would be a good idea.  HOWEVER, if there are "equal quality" players on the board with any of the above positions, you have to go with another player.  

Linebacker:  NOT a fan of our depth, but Von Miller changed the whole story here.  If Edmunds turns it around, this could be a very good group.  Thumbs down to Milano.

FINAL ON MY LIST is WR:  It used to be higher, and I DO think we should draft a WR outside of the first 3 rounds UNLESS some amazing wideout slips to us.  I like our top 2 WR, and Crowder in the slot.  Can we do better than Crowder?  Yes, BUT again, I'd rather add a dominant TE and/or RB..... and/or an upgrade(s) to our OL. 

Okay............    let me have it.

Be gentle.  lol

Forgot to mention:  S and QB not a draft need right now.

Didn’t you just name every position? No! Wait! You forgot QB! 

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Isn't Mitch Morse 29 and freshly re-signed? The concussions and his composure and bald, burly look during interviews, might have most of us fooled (thinking he's old). Mitch Morse is potentially in the prime of his career. His movement skills might even flourish further under Aaron Kromer. 

I hope you're right. But odds are pretty good that if he's in his prime (a reasonable thought), he's nearing the end of it. He'll be 30 in a few days.

On average, centers begin to decline around 31 or 32 and tend to fall off faster following their 32 year old season.

https://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-offensive-players-every-single-position/

I like Morse, and bringing in a replacement certainly isn't an immediate necessity, bringing in a flexible C/G type would make a lot of sense this year.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Yantha said:

Nobody expects draftees to be immediate starters.  Even some first rounders need some time....  You draft for team building, continuity, and adding youth to aging positional groups.  If you are lucky enough to find an immediate, starting caliber upgrade, you are doing well, especially on a playoff caliber team like the bills.

Except CB.  At this point unless they trade or sign Bradberry if cut, not likely they get any other FA that would be a better starting option at CB than a 1st or maybe a 2nd round rookie.  Actually IMO the two easiest positions for rookies to play are CB and RB.  More often than not the only difference between 1st rounders and 2nd and 3rd rounders is the 2nd and 3rd round players need a year or maybe even two  for development.  So they can just as easily become good to great players.  Think they still likely will sign a vet CB for depth, but the rookie will start. 

Assuming White is back even at only 60% of his ability in Sept and maybe 85% by year end, we're asking the rookie to be the #2 CB, not #1 so still OK to me.  With the two safeties we have can help cover up rookie mistakes a lot too.

Likely the two highest priorities to sign next off season will be Oliver (just for relief of his 5th year option cost) and Knox.  The only TE help we need is depth so highly doubt they will sign a TE anywhere near the top unless they don't plan to extend Knox.  They could just as easily sign another OJ Howard type next year again, as they are there every season to pair with Knox.  IMO if they resign Knox, I'd feel better signing Howard like players every year as TE takes too much time to develop.

Teams need a dominant TE when they have weak armed QB's who can't throw a 20 yard out to a WR.  We don't have that problem so are better off having elite WR's and depth there than a rookie TE who won't even be active.  There's an active roster spot for another WR, but not another TE barring injury.

• Agree 1

So the OP states his opinion, then says “Okay…….. let me have it.” Then when people let him have it he bristles, “Guys…….Chill!”. He then goes on to accusing other posters of being “dense”and stupid “Would rather chat with fans with more than one brain cell….” . 

27 minutes ago, chris heff said:

So the OP states his opinion, then says “Okay…….. let me have it.” Then when people let him have it he bristles, “Guys…….Chill!”. He then goes on to accusing other posters of being “dense”and stupid “Would rather chat with fans with more than one brain cell….” . 

The Op certainly has thoughts, his post reminds me of some comments on a Washington Post article…, 😂

9 hours ago, chongli said:

I haven't read the whole thread, but wanted to say that is like saying KC in the past was not truly elite without Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill. The reason the Bills offense is elite is exactly because of Josh, Stefon, etc.

Agreed...or how about.... Alabama wouldn't be a very good football team if you took away all their 5 star recruits.   

Honestly, just take away Josh, and our offense is average.  

• Like (+1) 1

Man, how are we even going to make the playoffs OP?

I do agree with regards to the TE position. It’s not that I don’t like Knox, I just don’t LOVE Knox. Plus we have no depth behind Knox. Draft a day 2 TE to develop and hope he is eventually better than Knox or Knox continues to get better which might put Knox in the elite TE tier. It’s a win-win.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No doubt we need depth at center. But it isn't our number 1 need. Or even close to it as the OP claims. 

Agree on Tom by the way. I have only got to him in the last 2 weeks. I didn't even know who he was three weeks ago. I really like him. He is very Mitch Morse like. College tackle whose best NFL fit is as a center on a pass heavy offense. 

As for 1tech that is what Da'Quan Jones is, or at least was in Tennessee. Not sure how Carolina used him last year. 

Yes Centre is not our number 1 need THIS year.  AFTER this year it will be a top 3 need.

I don't see DaQuan Jones as be a 1DT starter anymore.  Good to rotate in but quite frankly a drop off over Harry.

I would really like to find a way to trade up to draft 1DT Jordan Davis who was projected to go #17 to the Chargers a couple of months ago and now may go earlier to the Eagles.  

I wouldn't want the Bills to trade our 2nd round or 3rd round picks THIS year but would consider:

(a) packaging our "MLB" Edmunds plus our 1st rounder THIS year to trade up just before Eagles first 1st round pick (if we do that we need to use our 2nd round pick on a true MLB -- I have some ideas there)

(b) packaging our 1st round pick plus out 4th round pick plus one of her 6th round picks and one of our 7th round picks to jump ahead of the Eagles.

The 3rd round pick plus our remaining 6th and/or 7th round picks would move us a little within the 3rd round to draft Zac Tom.

Let's face it...unless we draft a punter, only 3-4 rookies are making this team this year.  We still have UDAs to look at.

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES

On 4/16/2022 at 2:01 PM, Htt2821 said:

I was lost with the opening sentence for TE’s…while we may need depth for the position, Knox is a legit option for Josh and they have a connection and Howard provides vet experience behind him. 

The need at TE is dependent on Beane's plan wrt to Knox...sign him or let him walk.  He is a pretty good TE imho, and they will sign him if they have the bucks.

10 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

What are you even trying to say here? If the team didn't want him on the roster in 2023 they could have just let him play out 2022 and then leave in free agency. Instead, they extended him. No matter how badly you want to get rid of Morse I think it's super clear that the FO doesn't agree with you.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, patzen said:

What are you even trying to say here? If the team didn't want him on the roster in 2023 they could have just let him play out 2022 and then leave in free agency. Instead, they extended him. No matter how badly you want to get rid of Morse I think it's super clear that the FO doesn't agree with you.

There was a great play in the Bills thrashing of the Patriots* in the Divisional round where the ball was immediately handed off to Motor who breaks off to the right, and Morse, also breaking to the right, runs in front of him like a full back. That dude can run, and he's only 29. I strongly suspect that with the addition of Kromer, and Saffold, the run game is going to be vastly improved from where it began at the beginning of last season, and I believe Mitch Morse will be a big part of that. IMO. Morse will retire a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, patzen said:

The FO wanted a disgruntled player playing out his final year of his contract in front of their $250M QB?

Is that what you are trying to say here?

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

There was a great play in the Bills thrashing of the Patriots* in the Divisional round where the ball was immediately handed off to Motor who breaks off to the right, and Morse, also breaking to the right, runs in front of him like a full back. That dude can run, and he's only 29. I strongly suspect that with the addition of Kromer, and Saffold, the run game is going to be vastly improved from where it began at the beginning of last season, and I believe Mitch Morse will be a big part of that. IMO. Morse will retire a Bill.

I agree.

AFTER the 2022 season.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

The need at TE is dependent on Beane's plan wrt to Knox...sign him or let him walk.  He is a pretty good TE imho, and they will sign him if they have the bucks.

They have zero tight ends under contract for 2023. I think they would want to extend Knox too, but they are going to draft one somewhere this year to at least give themselves some sort of baseline option. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.