I might be an outlier here...... Draft needs

Yantha

2 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hey folks,

I might be an outlier here, but my mind has changed a few times in the lead up to the draft.  After we've added a few key pieces to our roster, and lost a few others, I'm starting to think that our draft needs have shifted.... surprisingly in my opinion to OFFENSE moreso than defense.

Hear me out.

Positional groups needs I think are in the following order of "need".  While I DO understand that some positions are more noticeable if the team is weaker at that position (like QB, Cornerback), here are our positional grouping needs  in order of weakest to strongest.

Center:  I feel that Center has been the most sneaky need this team has, and feel that the position MUST be upgraded in the early rounds, without question.  Not only do we lack depth but Morse needs and upgrade as the starter.  

Tight End:  We have one of the best QB's in the league but completely lack the TE option on this team.  In KC, Kelce is such a threat that their WR's look that much better since safeties can't double cover or drop too deep for support.  I'd say a second rounder on TE is a serious option for the upcoming draft.

Guard:  Part of the reason we haven't had a great running game is due to the lack of a dominant, run-blocking front.  While I feel that our runningbacks in their own right don't exactly instill fear in opposing defenses, an upgrade at ONE guard spot could help in this regard.  Hoping for a balanced target, but one that has a nasty streak that can can create some inside lanes.  It MIGHT even help Moss elevate his game.

Runningback:  We suck.  Sorry but we do.  I used to be a big Tomlinson fan and have been longing to see a DOMINANT run game from the Bills.  Having the THUNDER to go with Allen's lightning would have a domino effect of helping out Diggs/Davis on the outside.  Stack the box?  Well that would help our NEW TE, as well as our WRs.

Defensive End:  Yes, I know I'm an outlier here, but IF we don't bring back Hughes, I feel that's a bigger loss than some on this board feel.  Boogie, Epensa, Addison, Lawson are all playing at a backup level (on this playoff caliber team).  

Cornerback:  This is where I have cornerback, but it likely bumps up to somewhere near the top because, like I mentioned, corner is one of those positions where you've GOT to have quality starters or the whole game will unravel.  I think we need not one, but two additions.  I think that Taron Johnson might be the only corner I feel somewhat happy with.  Siran Neal should NOT start.

Offensive Tackle:  Could use an upgrade, and if we go OT, it would be a good idea.  HOWEVER, if there are "equal quality" players on the board with any of the above positions, you have to go with another player.  

Linebacker:  NOT a fan of our depth, but Von Miller changed the whole story here.  If Edmunds turns it around, this could be a very good group.  Thumbs down to Milano.

FINAL ON MY LIST is WR:  It used to be higher, and I DO think we should draft a WR outside of the first 3 rounds UNLESS some amazing wideout slips to us.  I like our top 2 WR, and Crowder in the slot.  Can we do better than Crowder?  Yes, BUT again, I'd rather add a dominant TE and/or RB..... and/or an upgrade(s) to our OL. 

Okay............    let me have it.

Be gentle.  lol

Forgot to mention:  S and QB not a draft need right now.

No disrespect, but this may be the worst take on our "needs" that I have seen.  

The fact you have CB ranked so low is mind blowing, despite the fact the only CB capable of starting week 1 right now is our 3rd string CB from last year.  We don't know when Tre will be ready or even how well he will play when he gets back.  Its literally our weakest positional group on the whole roster and thinnest right now too.

Dane Jackson did ok until he got smoked by KC in the playoffs.  

Most puzzling is in your description of CB need you literally say it is one of the top needs, there is only one DB (a nickel corner at that) on the roster you trust, and even acknowledge we need 2 CB's even.  Yet you ranked CB need 6th on your list.  Sorry man, that just doesn't make any sense to me.  

And how you have TE as the 2nd biggest need is also puzzling.  We are all set at TE this year, but yes another one could and probably will be drafted given both are FA's next year.  But in terms of "need" its no where near as pressing as CB and IOL probably are.  

And how is S not a draft need right now if you have these others listed as a "need".  Poyer is a FA after this season, is over 30, and Bills have met with multiple safety prospects already.  Its possible they don't plan to resign Poyer for cap reasons given all the players we have coming up for new deals.  So, if you are gonna list TE for example as a need, how is safety not one too?

Again, just giving feedback, not meant to be disrespectful.  But this list just didnt make any sense.  

OH...almost forgot...your take on the RB's is way off.  You realize that in the 7 games we actually gave Singletary real carries, his stats were great right?  When Devin got 13 or more carries last year (7 total games, 4 of which came in the last 6 games) he averaged over 80 yards a game, 4.7 YPC and had 7 TDs.  Projected over a whole season its basically 1400 yards rushing and 17 TD's.  So sorry man, our RBs are not terrible, Daboll just didn't commit enough to establishing the run until the end of the season where Devin was quite good.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but this may be the worst take on our "needs" that I have seen.  

The fact you have CB ranked so low is mind blowing, despite the fact the only CB capable of starting week 1 right now is our 3rd string CB from last year.  We don't know when Tre will be ready or even how well he will play when he gets back.  Its literally our weakest positional group on the whole roster and thinnest right now too.

Dane Jackson did ok until he got smoked by KC in the playoffs.  

Most puzzling is in your description of CB need you literally say it is one of the top needs, there is only one DB (a nickel corner at that) on the roster you trust, and even acknowledge we need 2 CB's even.  Yet you ranked CB need 6th on your list.  Sorry man, that just doesn't make any sense to me.  

And how you have TE as the 2nd biggest need is also puzzling.  We are all set at TE this year, but yes another one could and probably will be drafted given both are FA's next year.  But in terms of "need" its no where near as pressing as CB and IOL probably are.  

And how is S not a draft need right now if you have these others listed as a "need".  Poyer is a FA after this season, is over 30, and Bills have met with multiple safety prospects already.  Its possible they don't plan to resign Poyer for cap reasons given all the players we have coming up for new deals.  So, if you are gonna list TE for example as a need, how is safety not one too?

Again, just giving feedback, not meant to be disrespectful.  But this list just didnt make any sense.  

OH...almost forgot...your take on the RB's is way off.  You realize that in the 7 games we actually gave Singletary real carries, his stats were great right?  When Devin got 13 or more carries last year (7 total games, 4 of which came in the last 6 games) he averaged over 80 yards a game, 4.7 YPC and had 7 TDs.  Projected over a whole season its basically 1400 yards rushing and 17 TD's.  So sorry man, our RBs are not terrible, Daboll just didn't commit enough to establishing the run until the end of the season where Devin was quite good.  

Just read the actual words I wrote about CB.....

I appreciate your response.  I just respectfully disagree that TE is set.  I want a dominant playmaker there.  Not an average player.  

I hear you about Safety and just thought that we'd be good for one more season.  Our starters are HIGH quality at both FS and SS.  TE, I just feel Knox isn't much of a threat.  That's all....

I like Singletary but not as a feature back.  Watching Hall and KWIII in the lead up to the draft has me thinking we could do much better.  I don't think defenses do much planning around Singletary, but would potentially take more time/notice scheming against Hall or KWIII.

Thanks for your response.

9 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

Just replace the "Hear me out" with "This my sound stupid but". then I will give you a trophy.

Wow, you thought up that joke all by yourself.  I'll give you a trophy.

Basically have listed mostly every position except QB, yes understand bottom of the list is  minor.  Lets look at the top five positions you list, Center, TE, Guard, RB, and DE.  IMO anyone drafted 4th round or higher either needs to make the 53 or if cut will never either make it to, or stick on the PS.  Reading your comments, overall it appears you want to draft guys, if they aren't playing at pro bowl level after two years, replace them, not a good way to develop a top level roster.

I'll group center and guard here.  There are 9 O-lineman on the roster today not counting Hart that could project to the 53 man roster.  They could cut/trade Ford to open a slot for a rookie, but to bring in two high picks means cutting someone else who likely is better than a 3rd, 4th or lower round rookie this coming year.  He may be better than say Bates in 2023, but not likely this season.  So makes sense to use one high pick, and maybe take a 6th or 7th rounder and move to PS, but then 2nd guy isn't a high priority.

Same with TE, you have two starting caliper TE's on the roster plus Gilliam and Sweeney.  From what I read TE is weak in this draft, and also it's one of the positions that takes the longest to develop so if you draft a TE in round 2 as you suggest, likely he'll be inactive all season.  Is that what you want to do with your 2nd round pick, watch him not play.  Maybe a 4th or 5th round TE makes sense but again he'll be inactive most of season.  At this point I'd take Gilliam over a rookie TE as he's great at ST and is kind of a Swiss army knife fit.

Agree on RB, taking someone day 2 of draft is good IMO

DE, you list Addison, he's not even on the roster!  Maybe you mean Basham??  Yes none are playing great, but even if they drafted a DE in round 1, at #25, the likelihood of him playing better in 2022 than any of the 4 on the team, plus Miller is again very low.  I agree except Groot, the other three haven't yet lived up to their draft selection, but one is also a rookie and another played 2 years.  Give them some time to develop before replacing them because again to draft someone, means one of the names you list will be gone.

Before you draft someone you need to ask yourself, is there a roster slot for this player that will not weaken the 2022 roster by picking him.  In addition as you state it's a potential Super Bowl roster so to me the best strategy is to draft positions where a player can improve the roster this coming year!  Developing for future needs is fine as long as by putting the rookie on the 53 isn't making this years team worse or in the case of a backup, there's not much drip off.  Where I see those openings are at CB, WR, P, RB, & C/G(but only one drafted before round 5)  The other position I think you could use development is safety which is the one position you feel isn't needed.  Will Poyer be here in 2023?  Meanwhile the two rookies don't play that much barring injury and are not anything too special, so drafting a player prior to round 4 IMO would not be a waste at safety.

You state only two are going to start!  That is doubtful to me.  Barring a surprise trade or injury to a starter or high backup, the only position I see a rookie coming in and starting and improving the current starting lineup is CB. Actually also punter, but not including that here.  It's possible also RB, or guard if selected fairly high.   As many have stated, will be surprised if more than 5 rookies make the roster

11 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I appreciate your response.  I just respectfully disagree that TE is set.  I want a dominant playmaker there.  Not an average player. 

Agree, love to have one.  How many teams have one?  Besides Kelce, Gronk, and the guy in San Fran, what others are there.  Good chance the kid in Atlanta becomes the next one, but they are very hard to find and doesn't sound like there are any in this draft even close.  They are unicorns that you get very lucky when you find one and are almost impossible to predict it seems.

Personally I'd give Knox a much better chance of him joining the dominant group than drafting a rookie and expecting him to become dominant especially within the next TWO seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, love to have one.  How many teams have one?  Besides Kelce, Gronk, and the guy in San Fran, what others are there.  Good chance the kid in Atlanta becomes the next one, but they are very hard to find and doesn't sound like there are any in this draft even close.  They are unicorns that you get very lucky when you find one and are almost impossible to predict it seems.

Personally I'd give Knox a much better chance of him joining the dominant group than drafting a rookie and expecting him to become dominant especially within the next TWO seasons.

Also worth noting that the style of offense makes a difference......this team is WR dominant.  Other teams use their TE's more.

Maybe that changes this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I hear you about Safety and just thought that we'd be good for one more season.  Our starters are HIGH quality at both FS and SS.  TE, I just feel Knox isn't much of a threat.  That's all....

I like Singletary but not as a feature back.  Watching Hall and KWIII in the lead up to the draft has me thinking we could do much better.  I don't think defenses do much planning around Singletary, but would potentially take more time/notice scheming against Hall or KWIII.

I have read and reread your post. I just can’t get passed this. The entire post is about accurately ranking our weakest links.

By your own premise Dane Jackson/Siran Neal are better than Mitch Morse.

Kumerow is the direct back up to Stefon Diggs right now. I can’t imagine a world where drafting a new center is hollistically more important than upgrading Kumerow at X/Z. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Yantha said:

That I think we can ALL agree on..

Here's a question.

Which player do you think is the weakest STARTING link on offense?

Stop asking questions to back track on your terrible take on the Bills. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hey folks,

I might be an outlier here, but my mind has changed a few times in the lead up to the draft.  After we've added a few key pieces to our roster, and lost a few others, I'm starting to think that our draft needs have shifted.... surprisingly in my opinion to OFFENSE moreso than defense.

Hear me out.

Positional groups needs I think are in the following order of "need".  While I DO understand that some positions are more noticeable if the team is weaker at that position (like QB, Cornerback), here are our positional grouping needs  in order of weakest to strongest.

Center:  I feel that Center has been the most sneaky need this team has, and feel that the position MUST be upgraded in the early rounds, without question.  Not only do we lack depth but Morse needs and upgrade as the starter.  

Tight End:  We have one of the best QB's in the league but completely lack the TE option on this team.  In KC, Kelce is such a threat that their WR's look that much better since safeties can't double cover or drop too deep for support.  I'd say a second rounder on TE is a serious option for the upcoming draft.

Guard:  Part of the reason we haven't had a great running game is due to the lack of a dominant, run-blocking front.  While I feel that our runningbacks in their own right don't exactly instill fear in opposing defenses, an upgrade at ONE guard spot could help in this regard.  Hoping for a balanced target, but one that has a nasty streak that can can create some inside lanes.  It MIGHT even help Moss elevate his game.

Runningback:  We suck.  Sorry but we do.  I used to be a big Tomlinson fan and have been longing to see a DOMINANT run game from the Bills.  Having the THUNDER to go with Allen's lightning would have a domino effect of helping out Diggs/Davis on the outside.  Stack the box?  Well that would help our NEW TE, as well as our WRs.

Defensive End:  Yes, I know I'm an outlier here, but IF we don't bring back Hughes, I feel that's a bigger loss than some on this board feel.  Boogie, Epensa, Addison, Lawson are all playing at a backup level (on this playoff caliber team).  

Cornerback:  This is where I have cornerback, but it likely bumps up to somewhere near the top because, like I mentioned, corner is one of those positions where you've GOT to have quality starters or the whole game will unravel.  I think we need not one, but two additions.  I think that Taron Johnson might be the only corner I feel somewhat happy with.  Siran Neal should NOT start.

Offensive Tackle:  Could use an upgrade, and if we go OT, it would be a good idea.  HOWEVER, if there are "equal quality" players on the board with any of the above positions, you have to go with another player.  

Linebacker:  NOT a fan of our depth, but Von Miller changed the whole story here.  If Edmunds turns it around, this could be a very good group.  Thumbs down to Milano.

FINAL ON MY LIST is WR:  It used to be higher, and I DO think we should draft a WR outside of the first 3 rounds UNLESS some amazing wideout slips to us.  I like our top 2 WR, and Crowder in the slot.  Can we do better than Crowder?  Yes, BUT again, I'd rather add a dominant TE and/or RB..... and/or an upgrade(s) to our OL. 

Okay............    let me have it.

Be gentle.  lol

Forgot to mention:  S and QB not a draft need right now.

head no GIF

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Yantha said:

just stop man... your digging your hole deeper.

Knox was ranked 6th best TE in the LEAGUE....

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/te.php

How much more dominate do you want?

Now i am starting to wonder...

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

just stop man... your digging your hole deeper.

Knox was ranked 6th best TE in the LEAGUE....

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/te.php

How much more dominate do you want?

Now i am starting to wonder...

You just get there?  This guy is either a troll or a horribly misinformed fan

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You just get there?  This guy is either a troll or a horribly misinformed fan

John... I have been trying to turn a new leaf on these forums.. You can troll a troll or you can give a person the benefit of the doubt... I could act like an idiot... I could shadow mod I wont... for now on im just giving the benefit of the doubt and if it continues... troll.

Threads like this just need to be locked faster... just my opinion... I need to stop wasting time on this i guess

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Also worth noting that the style of offense makes a difference......this team is WR dominant.  Other teams use their TE's more.

Maybe that changes this year.

Think if you DON'T have the strong arm QB like Allen, throwing to TE is a better choice.  Allen doesn't need to throw to him.  Looking at the stats, Knox yards per catch is within one yard of most of the leaders.  Only two with a significant more yds/catch were Gronk, Godert, and Pitts.

Even a year ago, I know a number of folks wanted Ertz or someone like that.  My take on it there are only so many passes to go around.  You add in the dominant TE and someone else is getting less passes thrown to them. 

Even this off season, there were threads lets sign D Adams. Our WR group would unstoppable, my take would be less passes to Diggs and Davis and others instead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.