TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Completed!

Virgil

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I mean, it’s tough to have the same exact situation as another team….but I think that we can agree that it would be a stupid move to draft a Qb @ 2 overall if you have a 2nd round grade on them.  You don’t have a 1st rd grade on any of these guys…..if you were the lions GM (and you had a handful of guys with 2nd rd grades, like you do) would you take any of these guys @ 2?  

Nope. Go BPA and go for a QB next year if Goff doesn't pan out. He wasn't terrible for them, he just wasn't anything special either. There is no QB that is worth a top 10 pick imo, but teams always reach for QB's. 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Eagles (H2o) are on the clock

With the 17th pick, the LA Chargers select Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State.

The Chargers could stand to upgrade 3 of it's 5 offensive line positions so Cross makes too much sense here.  Linebacker was our second consideration, but we like the depth later in the draft.  Cross can slide in and start at RT on Day 1.

The Eagles @H2oare on the clock

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Nope. Go BPA and go for a QB next year if Goff doesn't pan out. He wasn't terrible for them, he just wasn't anything special either. There is no QB that is worth a top 10 pick imo, but teams always reach for QB's. 

I agree, I don’t think there’s anyone worth it in this draft.  

But that doesn’t mean that one isn’t worth 32 or a late 1st round pick in someone else’s eyes.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I mean, it’s tough to have the same exact situation as another team….but I think that we can agree that it would be a stupid move to draft a Qb @ 2 overall if you have a 2nd round grade on them.  You don’t have a 1st rd grade on any of these guys…..if you were the lions GM (and you had a handful of guys with 2nd rd grades, like you do) would you take any of these guys @ 2?  

I'd think really hard about Malik. I know it would be a reach and he is a risk but at some point you have to take a shot and the way the league is going you need a guy who can be special. I also think with two very good tackles, a solid vet to learn behind and a former NFL QB as my QB coach I have some of the ingredients that Willis is going to need to be successful. And I add to that I don't think there are a ton of elite guys I am passing on to gamble on a QB. If Nick Bosa was there at #2 or even a Penei Sewell or Jamar Chase from last year the calculation would be different. But the opportunity cost this year is lower. 

None of the other QBs fit that "could be special" criteria. All of them except Ridder I would say are higher floor than Malik but much lower ceiling. So if I was the Lions GM I'd pick Malik at two or I'd totally pass on this QB class. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd think really hard about Malik. I know it would be a reach and he is a risk but at some point you have to take a shot and the way the league is going you need a guy who can be special. I also think with two very good tackles, a solid vet to learn behind and a former NFL QB as my QB coach I have some of the ingredients that Willis is going to need to be successful. And I add to that I don't think there are a ton of elite guys I am passing on to gamble on a QB. If Nick Bosa was there at #2 or even a Penei Sewell or Jamar Chase from last year the calculation would be different. But the opportunity cost this year is lower. 

None of the other QBs fit that "could be special" criteria. All of them except Ridder I would say are higher floor than Malik but much lower ceiling. So if I was the Lions GM I'd pick Malik at two or I'd totally pass on this QB class. 

Willis is my #1 too and is the only guy I would draft period…..but that doesn’t mean the lions feel the same about him and the other QBs.  Hence the fact that they might think another QB is worthy of their 2nd rd pick or a trade up. Some guys really like Corral, Pickett etc.  i don’t….but there’s a chance there’s more than 1 QB selected.  

The ravens drafted Lamar…..after they traded down and then back up again to get that 5th year option  iirc.  They liked him enough to trade up for him…..but not enough to draft him in the teens. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With the 17th pick, the LA Chargers select Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State.

The Chargers could stand to upgrade 3 of it's 5 offensive line positions so Cross makes too much sense here.  Linebacker was our second consideration, but we like the depth later in the draft.  Cross can slide in and start at RT on Day 1.

The Eagles @H2oare on the clock

CRAP!!!

1 hour and 45 minutes in the dentist chaIr on a back molar and now I can't make my Chargers pick.  Oh well.

I would have taken a 1st and a 2nd and traded back a 4th if necessary to trade down.  The Chargers are a solid team with very few needs.

Chargers want two rookie OL out of the first 3 rounds and don't have a 2nd round pick. 

They want to protect their young Franchise QB investment by giving him a rock solid OL.  An OL that not only protects the QB and gives him the time to pass however also forces its will to run the ball when the team needs to run the ball late in the game.  The Bills look for their OL at the Anchor Bar, Duff's or my personal favourite Gabriels's Gate.

A trade down would do that for the Chargers.

I like Cross for the Chargers.

I don't like him for the Bills.  The Bills need OGs and not OTs right now.  

So unless one of the managers is willing to accept this offer, the Chargers are done until the 3rd round...

THE CHARGERS ARE WILLING TO TRADE THEIR 3RD, 4TH, 5TH AND 6TH ROUND PICKS FOR ANY 2ND ROUND PICK IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Willis is my #1 too and is the only guy I would draft period…..but that doesn’t mean the lions feel the same about him and the other QBs.  Hence the fact that they might think another QB is worthy of their 2nd rd pick or a trade up. Some guys really like Corral, Pickett etc.  i don’t….but there’s a chance there’s more than 1 QB selected.  

The ravens drafted Lamar…..after they traded down and then back up again to get that 5th year option  iirc.  They liked him enough to trade up for him…..but not enough to draft him in the teens. 

Again though the Ravens had a guy who could play NFL Quarterback (or at least though they did at that point before his body totally gave up). Then they were swinging for a high ceiling guy. If Willis was there at the end of the 1st I could absolutely see it. While I get it that their ranking and my ranking are not necessarily the same - it comes back to I only think the Lions are taking a guy at QB this year if it is a swing for the fences guy. Even a team that doesn't like Malik is gonna have a hard job convincing me any of the others fit that description. 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Packers (GunnerBill) are on the clock

TRADE!!!

The Philadelphia Eagles have traded the 18th pick in the TSW Mock Draft to the Green Bay Packers. And with the 18th pick the Green Bay Packers select:

Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

I am operating this draft as the Green Bay Packers and so even though my personal board has Chris Olave and Jameson Williams graded higher I executed this pick on the basis of what I know the Packers value in wide receivers. They like bigger guys who are tough to stop with the ball in their hands. It is one of the most underrated elements of Davante Adams's game but he was 2nd in the NFL in YAC in 2020 and 4th in the NFL in YAC in 2021. Adams ran a 4.56 at the Combine, had an uninspiring RAS score but was a physical player and a YAC monster. That description applies similarly to Treylon Burks. He fits their offense under Matt LaFleur and while I don't love the Deebo comparison some have used for him I see where they are coming from and Green Bay run a variation of that Shanahan offense that Deebo has thrived in. Burks can be a #1 receiver in this system. 

Trade Terms:

Packers get #18 (900)

Eagles get #22 (780) and #92 (132)

The New York Jets and @Big Blitz are now on the clock. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Jets (Big Blitz) are on the clock
7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

TRADE!!!

The Philadelphia Eagles have traded the 22nd pick in the TSW Mock Draft to the Green Bay Packers. And with the 22nd pick the Green Bay Packers select:

I am operating this draft as the Green Bay Packers and so even though my personal board has Chris Olave and Jameson Williams graded higher I executed this pick on the basis of what I know the Packers value in wide receivers. They like bigger guys who are tough to stop with the ball in their hands. It is one of the most underrated elements of Davante Adams's game but he was 2nd in the NFL in YAC in 2020 and 4th in the NFL in YAC in 2021. Adams ran a 4.56 at the Combine, had an uninspiring RAS score but was a physical player and a YAC monster. That description applies similarly to Treylon Burks. He fits their offense under Matt LaFleur and while I don't love the Deebo comparison some have used for him I see where they are coming from and Green Bay run a variation of that Shanahan offense that Deebo has thrived in. Burks can be a #1 receiver in this system. 

Trade Terms:

Packers get #18 (900)

Interesting choice.  I'm surprised to see some of these WR's sliding

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again though the Ravens had a guy who could play NFL Quarterback (or at least though they did at that point before his body totally gave up). Then they were swinging for a high ceiling guy. If Willis was there at the end of the 1st I could absolutely see it. While I get it that their ranking and my ranking are not necessarily the same - it comes back to I only think the Lions are taking a guy at QB this year if it is a swing for the fences guy. Even a team that doesn't like Malik is gonna have a hard job convincing me any of the others fit that description. 

Yeah….the ravens had a qb similar to goff……they identified a high ceiling guy…..and then traded down when that high ceiling guy fell into their laps…..because they didn’t feel he was worth the selection.  

We’re in agreement on the crux of the convo….if the lions think willis is their clear cut #1 qb and can be their guy, there’s a good chance they draft him at #2.  My argument is just that if he’s not their #1 guy…..another guy might be worth a late round pick or their 2nd round pick. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

TRADE!!!

The Philadelphia Eagles have traded the 22nd pick in the TSW Mock Draft to the Green Bay Packers. And with the 22nd pick the Green Bay Packers select:

Trade Terms:

Packers get #18 (900)

Did you mean with the 18th pick GB?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

CRAP!!!

1 hour and 45 minutes in the dentist chaIr on a back molar and now I can't make my Chargers pick.  Oh well.

I would have taken a 1st and a 2nd and traded back a 4th if necessary to trade down.  The Chargers are a solid team with very few needs.

Chargers want two rookie OL out of the first 3 rounds and don't have a 2nd round pick. 

They want to protect their young Franchise QB investment by giving him a rock solid OL.  An OL that not only protects the QB and gives him the time to pass however also forces its will to run the ball when the team needs to run the ball late in the game.  The Bills look for their OL at the Anchor Bar, Duff's or my personal favourite Gabriels's Gate.

A trade down would do that for the Chargers.

I like Cross for the Chargers.

I don't like him for the Bills.  The Bills need OGs and not OTs right now.  

So unless one of the managers is willing to accept this offer, the Chargers are done until the 3rd round...

THE CHARGERS ARE WILLING TO TRADE THEIR 3RD, 4TH, 5TH AND 6TH ROUND PICKS FOR ANY 2ND ROUND PICK IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT

You’re doneTired Over It GIF by Jonas Mosesson

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Interesting choice.  I'm surprised to see some of these WR's sliding

I have created myself a little Packers specific board for this exercise. I had Drake London as WR1 and Treylon Burks as WR2 based on the type of players the Packers go for. I have looked at who they have had in for visits too. While they haven't had London they have had Burks, Pickens and Watson in terms of day 1 or 2 types (all bigger, physical, guys) and then Samori Toure, Isaiah Weston and Tyquan Thornton as day 3 guys (again, all bigger receivers). They have a type. 

I was willing (as you are already aware) to give up a 2nd rounder to get up into the early teens for London, but then the Jets took him at #10. I then had conversations with a couple of teams about a deal to get up into the late teens to ensure I snagged Burks, but was only willing to give up a 3rd to make that move. Eventually found a dance partner with the Eagles. I could have sat and hoped he got to #22 and he might have, but if he hadn't I think I was a bit rock and hard place because as much as I like Williams and Olave, I'm not sure they feel like Packers picks. 

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Did you mean with the 18th pick GB?

Darn, yes. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sold that they are definitely not taking one at #2. 

Interesting. That would be a bit of a shock but makes sense. Could see an EJ Manuel type of trade down into the teens? Or do they have to stay in front of Carolina? 

I hope all the quarterbacks go early and allows the talent to fall. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

There is no way Beane trades back, out of the first round.  Absolutely no way. 

Let's say the Beane doesn't love the board and Seattle calls wanting to jump the Lions and offer 40 and 41? 

Or a team like the Texans want to jump up and grab a QB and offer 37 and a future first? 

I think it depends on who is one the board, but in my mind I am targeting pick 32 with the Lions moving up a bit to take their guy so they can go BPA at 2. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.