Blessed Buffalo

hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

We've had so many bad quarterbacks, I couldn't list them all.  But, yeah, Billy Joe is not forgotten!

Sadly, I agree.  I think that's why Hochul was in a bad negotiating position.  She probably didn't believe the Pegulas would move the Bills out of Buffalo. 

But what if?  It would be an irreplaceable loss.  

I understand the premise of your thread but I've never felt anything but blessed to have the bills 

Most teams legacy's are filled with piss poor QB play across 40-60 years .. bills still had kemp , lamonica , Kelly, Allen to give us hope ... Reich was a solid backup and TT was decent placeholder... Fitz was fun to watch.. even fergy placed in the top 10 4 times for completions and yards and 6 times for tds

What holds the bills record back, was being really bad 68-72 and the late 70s... And the Kelly hold out ... Other than that the bills are +.500 record wise 

Ralph made OJ the highest paid player in the NFL, Kelly the highest paid player , Bruce highest paid defensive player... 90s bills had biggest payroll in NFL ..  Ralph gave loans to keep the foolish club afloat and kept the bills in buffalo

I love Ralph and he wasn't perfect as an owner but he was willing to spend when he thought we had a team 

Not having a quarterback for stretches of our franchise is what has held us back and most teams

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The owner of the Chargers is Dean Spanos, and he's from Stockton.

4 hours ago, freddyjj said:

I thought he owns the Rams.  I know he built the new LA Stadium that both teams use.

Yes Kroenke owns the Rams.  Was just trying to make the point that having ties to an area doesn't preclude an owner from moving the team elsewhere.

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

IMO there is about ZERO chance Buffalo would get another NFL team if the Bills relocated. 

Less than ZERO.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

As a Bills fan, it's easy to feel cursed. 

Our list of starting QBs looks like it comes from an episode of America's Least Wanted:  Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel, Todd Collins, Johnny Green, Dennis Shaw, Dan Darragh, AVP, Rob Johnson, Thad Lewis, and everyone's favorite - Nate Peterman. 

Our list of head coaches is just as bad: Rex, Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough, Doug Traitor Mallone, Dick Hard-to-Win Jauron, Greg Blowhorn Williams, Jim Ringo (career .139 win rate), John Rauch (.250), and Harvey Johnson (with not one but two 1 win seasons!).

After 61 years of play, we've only managed 26 winning seasons.  The glass isn't even half full.

But it's not completely broken either.  While we haven't been rich at the QB position, we have had more than our fair share of good RBs including two HOFers as well as the likes of Shady McCoy, Cookie Gilchrist, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Joe Cribs, Travis 'Daddy' Henry, Willis McGahee, and Greg Bell.  

Just having a team in Buffalo in the first place seems a little miraculous.  There are 48 U.S. metropolitan areas bigger than Buffalo yet we have a NFL team.  Ralph Wilson, for all his notorious cheapness, kept the team in Buffalo when it would have been more profitable somewhere else.  And when Ralph died, his estate sold it to another rich Buffalo supporter.  Then in 2022, with a budget due, the governor resigned allowing a Bills fan to become the governor responsible for negotiating the new stadium deal.  What a stroke of luck that was!

And, of course, the QB and HC curses are over with Josh and McD.

When you think about it, as Bills fans, we're blessed.  

I had no idea the Bills had 26 winning seasons! I would have guessed around 15…

I loved the Chuck Knox teams, Marv Levy’s teams, and know McD… I’m not old enough to recall winning prior to that…Well, I knew we won but didn’t watch it myself, but 26 is pretty good really……I always thought we were mostly a laughingstock….Like way more than half being *****… Gotta win a Super Bowl this year to put winning season 27 at the very top! We have some more roster building to do before that….

Go Bills!

Hondo, that’s why we’re special.  We love our team.  It’s easy to be a Steelers fan or a cowboys fan.  What I care about is the present and we have presently the best GM/HC/QB trifecta in the league and our guys are young.  

just be happy we’ll rock it for over a decade.  Do you really think the Pegulas would let any of these three go?  Um, NO!

Sit back and enjoy.

8 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I had no idea the Bills had 26 winning seasons! I would have guessed around 15…

I loved the Chuck Knox teams, Marv Levy’s teams, and know McD… I’m not old enough to recall winning prior to that…Well, I knew we won but didn’t watch it myself, but 26 is pretty good really……I always thought we were mostly a laughingstock….Like way more than half being *****… Gotta win a Super Bowl this year to put winning season 27 at the very top! We have some more roster building to do before that….

Go Bills!

I should always talk of four Bills dynasties then… Lou Saban,, Chuck Knox, Marv Levy and McD….

I can’t help but think bitterly over the Levy Years…. Neither Polian nor Levy had a real lot to do with building that team as Bruce, Andre, Jim and Will were already on the team…. They got Cornelius who turned out to be not that good of a pass rusher and that’s what we always needed. Marv insisted on the small NT, and lacked strategy … I think the giants were lucky but I still don’t understand how they made those third and longs….How Kelly never got that last TD…. But we were small on both lines because of levy….and that cost us big…. I always wanted to sign Jerry Ball but we never did….If Bennet could pass rush and we had Jerry Ball we would have won multiple Super Bowls, imho… We also never could replace James Lofton….or Will Wolford…. IDK? It’s still raw I guess… but how do you not win a stupid SB with Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas (Polian’s best move) ?

They wasted Bruce Smith sort of…. It was until we signed Bryce Paup that we did Bruce any favors…. Plus Ted Washington… Wade Phillips was also very close that one year….Now that! Was a defense….

im done ranting now! I sure hope Josh can win it all!!!! I say Josh Allen is the only Bill (besides he that should not be named) that had the same amount of talent as Bruce Smith. I sure hope McBeane doesn’t blow this…. Our defense might be very good this year but then again it might not….

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Our list of starting QBs looks like it comes from an episode of America's Least Wanted:  Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel, Todd Collins, Johnny Green, Dennis Shaw, Dan Darragh, AVP, Rob Johnson, Thad Lewis, and everyone's favorite - Nate Peterman. 

Our list of head coaches is just as bad: Rex, Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough, Doug Traitor Mallone, Dick Hard-to-Win Jauron, Greg Blowhorn Williams, Jim Ringo (career .139 win rate), John Rauch (.250), and Harvey Johnson (with not one but two 1 win seasons!).

After 61 years of play, we've only managed 26 winning seasons.  The glass isn't even half full.

But it's not completely broken either.  While we haven't been rich at the QB position, we have had more than our fair share of good RBs including two HOFers as well as the likes of Shady McCoy, Cookie Gilchrist, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Joe Cribs, Travis 'Daddy' Henry, Willis McGahee, and Greg Bell.  

Just having a team in Buffalo in the first place seems a little miraculous.  There are 48 U.S. metropolitan areas bigger than Buffalo yet we have a NFL team.  Ralph Wilson, for all his notorious cheapness, kept the team in Buffalo when it would have been more profitable somewhere else.  And when Ralph died, his estate sold it to another rich Buffalo supporter.  Then in 2022, with a budget due, the governor resigned allowing a Bills fan to become the governor responsible for negotiating the new stadium deal.  What a stroke of luck that was!

I’ll drink to this!

• Like (+1) 1

Cant believe that hondo missed the fact that Kay Stephenson was on both the starting QB and HC list....

• Sad 1

Good recap.  That was fun and sad at the same time.  Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Buffalo has a rich and fascinating history.  But, if I recall right, Buffalo was the 8th biggest city in the US in 1900.   While still comparatively big in 1960, when Wilson started the Bills, it was already a city in decline.  

Most club owners would rather invest in an ascending city but Ralph took a chance on Buffalo.  And it paid off handsomely.  Still, I'm grateful.

Buffalo went in a decline when the St Lawrence Seaway was opened up.

Did you know Buffalo was the first US city to have electric street lights?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

No other team has ever made 4 in a row.  

That is still a great achievement 

And you forgot 16 seconds and the home run throw forward that the Refs missed 

didn't forget, just didn't want to bring up everything. Yes, getting there 4 in a row is great but we lost them all

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Buffalo went in a decline when the St Lawrence Seaway was opened up.

Did you know Buffalo was the first US city to have electric street lights?

If I remember my history correctly, Edison temporarily fired up some lights in a few NYC homes with a generator.   But Buffalo was the first city in the world to really go electric.  With Westinghouse and Tesla doing their thing at the Falls, Buffalo got access to a plentiful & continuous supply of electricity.

I think it's overstated but I've heard it said the Buffalo was the Silicon Valley of its time.  Electricity was extremely exciting back in the day and folks gushed over the possibilities.  So the engineers and dreamers came to Buffalo to play around with it.   

On 4/16/2022 at 9:07 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Our stock is definitely rising !  

Possibly the "owner" curse has also been exorcized....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.