Listening to Greg Cosell today about 2022 draft class WRs

78thealltimegreat

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

You know, I don’t care what anybody says, Christian Watson is next big beast in the NFL…

He’s this year’s DK Metcalf….

I’m pounding the table for him at 25… Superior athletic score to anyone, anyone in the draft. 6’ 4” + 

big hands, dominated college competition, NFL bloodlines, amazing senior bowl….

If he went to Alabama he’d be the first to go. This is an amazing opportunity.

C’mon Beane! Sign Joe Haden before it’s too late!

800 yds receiving as his best total for a season and a total of 3, t-h-r-e-e, 100yd games for his ENTIRE collegiate career against FCS competition. Sheer domination. :rolleyes: :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My issue with Pickens is the one thing Beane and McDermott have been preaching all offseason is needing speed. I think that's what we're looking for in a WR addition in the Draft. Pickens runs 4.47, which isn't slow - but it's not exceptionally fast either.

I think our WR board would have guys like Garrett Wilson, Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Alec Pierce, Calvin Austin III, Velus Jones Jr., Bo Melton, and Tyquan Thornton, in that order. 4.42 being the cut off point (in Dotson), and preferably faster than that.

Beane also said the priority this off season was going to be protecting Josh. And all he did was sign Rodger Saffold, who is better as a run blocker.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Beane also said the priority this off season was going to be protecting Josh. And all he did was sign Rodger Saffold, who is better as a run blocker.

He was a Pro Bowl Guard last season. He was signed to start. When Beane said this, he was also surely referring to Ryan Bates and Ike Boettger also being FA's, so they'd have to be retained or replaced. We retained both. Bates was signed to an offer sheet to the Bears which would have saw him start. I highly doubt we matched the multi-million dollar offer for any less of an opportunity. In Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, and Brown - our starting line is set for this season, regardless of how you feel about Saffold or Bates.

Bringing in Aaron Kromer, who is widely considered one of the best coaches for the Offensive Line in the entire league was also something that should be looked at as a move to help protect Josh Allen.

We also signed Greg Mancz who has 32 starts in his career as well as 4 just last season to be depth at Interior Offensive Line. Also brought back Bobby Hart. Granted, most fans aren't, well, a fan. But obviously Beane and McDermott see something in him because he just won't go away.

Long story short, we have done more than just Saffold. He's made a lot of moves on the Offensive Line this offseason. Probably more than any other position. And Tommy Doyle is entering Year 2 and I think they'd like to see if Aaron Kromer can revitalize Cody Ford's career, given the premium pick we selected him with in 2019. 

Whether you like the moves or not, he has his starting O-Line for this season. I could see some mid round picks for depth and developmental. But I'd be shocked to see a Lineman selected in Round 1.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

How exactly did he dominate when his stats are pretty lackluster?

His team does not throw the football. They are run-first.  But when they did throw to him, he averaged almost 20 YPC.  At any rate, drafting based on college production is a poor way to go about things…see, e.g. Zay Jones, Joshua Allen, etc

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He was a Pro Bowl Guard last season. He was signed to start. When Beane said this, he was also surely referring to Ryan Bates and Ike Boettger also being FA's, so they'd have to be retained or replaced. We retained both. Bates was signed to an offer sheet to the Bears which would have saw him start. I highly doubt we matched the multi-million dollar offer for any less of an opportunity. In Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, and Brown - our starting line is set for this season, regardless of how you feel about Saffold or Bates.

Bringing in Aaron Kromer, who is widely considered one of the best coaches for the Offensive Line in the entire league was also a move that should be looked at as a move to help protect Josh Allen.

We also signed Greg Mancz who has 32 starts in his career as well as 4 just last season to be depth at Interior Offensive Line. Also brought back Bobby Hart. Granted, most fans aren't, well, a fan. But obviously Beane and McDermott see something in him because he just won't go away.

Long story short, we have done more than just Saffold. He's made a lot of moves on the Offensive Line this offseason. Probably more than any other position. And Tommy Doyle is entering Year 2 and I think they'd like to see if Aaron Kromer can revitalize Cody Ford's career, given the premium pick we selected at in 2019. 

Whether you like the moves or not, he has his starting O-Line for this season. I could see some mid round picks for depth and developmental. But I'd be shocked to see a Lineman selected in Round 1.

When I heard “protecting Josh will be our number 1 priority this off season,” I don’t think he was referring to Ike Boettger at all. He will be lucky to make the final roster after they draft a guy or two and UDFA. Bates will start, but I’m not sold on him as a starting RG due to him only having a handful of starts in his career. And Spencer Brown was downright awful in pass protection last season, which relates to protecting Josh since the Bills are a passing team. Saffold is a one year stop gap at left guard. While I hope the new line works out, I don’t think it was addressed as much as I was anticipating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

When I heard “protecting Josh will be our number 1 priority this off season,” I don’t think he was referring to Ike Boettger at all. He will be lucky to make the final roster after they draft a guy or two and UDFA. Bates will start, but I’m not sold on him as a starting RG due to him only having a handful of starts in his career. And Spencer Brown was downright awful in pass protection last season, which relates to protecting Josh since the Bills are a passing team. Saffold is a one year stop gap at left guard. While I hope the new line works out, I don’t think it was addressed as much as I was anticipating.

IOL has to be an integral part of the draft strategy for it to plausibly be a sufficient effort.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Bringing in Aaron Kromer, who is widely considered one of the best coaches for the Offensive Line in the entire league was also a move that should be looked at as a move to help protect Josh Allen.

Long story short, we have done more than just Saffold. He's made a lot of moves on the Offensive Line this offseason. Probably more than any other position. And Tommy Doyle is entering Year 2 and I think they'd like to see if Aaron Kromer can revitalize Cody Ford's career, given the premium pick we selected at in 2019. 

I doubt we select an OG in round too, but I wouldn’t rule it out. Saffold is injury prone now and signed for just one year. Bates’ deal is high for a backup but on the low side for a starting guard, right? That’s what I’ve heard anyway. Ike won’t be back till who knows how long. Now what you have to remember is how Allen looked when the OL was in the gutter. And how we couldn’t run for *****. That might happen again if one of the five goes down again. If we drafted a dominant OG our run and pass blocking would be even better and we’d have an excellent back up in Bates. Next year, maybe Bates starts again? Stafford will probably retire…

The offensive line is soooo important. It is the anchor of Tom Brady’s career. He always had excellent blocking. If we draft an OG in the first you won’t here me complaining.

and btw…. We almost completely rebuilt the DL this year. We have five new DL and I expect Beane to add to it in the draft. It is easily the most reworked position on the line. DE? DT? Take your pick. That DL, imho, is going to have a huge say in how far we get in the playoffs. We need the new DTs and young DEs to show up big-time.

Having said all that, I’m leaning WR for this draft but not sure at all what McBeane is thinking?

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He was asked by our pal Adam Schein about who he thought was the best receiver in the draft and the answer was surprising without hesitation he said George Pickens. 

Going to have to watch a little more film on this kid but he would definitely be there at 25 but won’t be there in the second. 

I’m guessing off the field stuff might be holding him back draft wise. 

I've been saying...

Pickens is a 1st Round caliber talent easily without the knee...And the thing is he's already come back from the knee...Played...Played well...And ran 4.47 at the Combine less than a year removed from the injury...In this Draft...With the all these incredible athletes at WR...Pickens has the 10th highest RAS coming off knee surgery! And he can flat out play the position. He may not be a slot. But so what? Pickens is going to make huge plays in this Bills Offense...He may not be a lock in every situation...But in Buffalo? Oh my...

One thing about Pickens...Joe Marino mentioned this...He may not have the "football character" McD looks for. Watch the end of his "Ultimate Highlight" vid on YouTube...I mean...It is what it is...But this organization seems to care about that sort of stuff...And I'm not saying that's a bad thing...I have seen a recent interview with Pickens and I did not pick up on anything bad whatsoever...But I don't know...B-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Pickens has a strong chance of going in the first round.

If not the first, then early in the second, way before the Bills pick..

There is a lot of depth in this WR class, but many of the WR'S are WR1 OR WR2.

Pickens has the upside of being a true number 1 WR in this league- I would be disappointed of we just took a pure speed guy just to take a pure speed guy with Pickens on the board.

Watch his tape, he plays like AJ Green!!!!

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I've been saying...

Pickens is a 1st Round caliber talent easily without the knee...And the thing is he's already come back from the knee...Played...Played well...And ran 4.47 at the Combine less than a year removed from the injury...In this Draft...With the all these incredible athletes at WR...Pickens has the 10th highest RAS coming off knee surgery! And he can flat out play the position. He may not be a slot. But so what? Pickens is going to make huge plays in this Bills Offense...He may not be a lock in every situation...But in Buffalo? Oh my...

One thing about Pickens...Joe Marino mentioned this...He may not have the "football character" McD looks for. Watch the end of his "Ultimate Highlight" vid on YouTube...I mean...It is what it is...But this organization seems to care about that sort of stuff...And I'm not saying that's a bad thing...I have seen a recent interview with Pickens and I did not pick up on anything bad whatsoever...But I don't know...B-)

im late to the party on scouting day1&2 guys this year but damnnnnnn. I think I like pickens the best outta this class... add in a nice 40 time, and a 6'3" frame, and we dont have anyone like him at all on the roster... i lied i like j williams better, but pickens is a close 2nd IMO

5 minutes ago, Beerball said:

@BringBackFergy what have you learned in your analysis of Pickens? Would he be a wise I pick for Buffalo?

I really concentrate on WR escapability. Can they escape press coverage, zone or, what I call, “feelsy handsy” coverage. I don’t see Pickens as that guy. He stays entangled in CB’s from the film I’ve seen. I’d pass on him before Round 4. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I really concentrate on WR escapability. Can they escape press coverage, zone or, what I call, “feelsy handsy” coverage. I don’t see Pickens as that guy. He stays entangled in CB’s from the film I’ve seen. I’d pass on him before Round 4. 

surprising answer, but fair enough. who are your top 3 wr's in this draft?

8 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Pickens is a beast. The WRs in this draft are all very talented, so it's very much a "pick your favorite flavor" in terms of who you think is the best, or what kind of player fit you're looking for, but I've been saying for weeks on this board that he'd be right there with the other top names if it weren't for his injury...

I'd be ecstatic if he were our pick at 25.

He would be a huge reach at 25. I wouldn't be happy if the Bills selected him there.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He was asked by our pal Adam Schein about who he thought was the best receiver in the draft and the answer was surprising without hesitation he said George Pickens. 

Going to have to watch a little more film on this kid but he would definitely be there at 25 but won’t be there in the second. 

I’m guessing off the field stuff might be holding him back draft wise. 

What was Pickens off the field stuff ?

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly not sure how anyone can be sold on Spencer Brown at RT though…. If Josh Allen wasn’t the QB of this team fans would be screaming for his replacement this offseason…. Allen masked his lackluster pass blocking for much of the year. 

He’s our starting RT.  It doesn’t matter if fans are sold on him or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a UGA fan and Pickens showed flashes, but between injuries, bad QB play,  and other things he never got to reach his potential. One things that is slightly concerning is his route running. At UGA he basically ran fly patterns. I wouldn’t worry about his speed, he has plenty of game speed. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.