Listening to Greg Cosell today about 2022 draft class WRs

78thealltimegreat

He was asked by our pal Adam Schein about who he thought was the best receiver in the draft and the answer was surprising without hesitation he said George Pickens. 

Going to have to watch a little more film on this kid but he would definitely be there at 25 but won’t be there in the second. 

I’m guessing off the field stuff might be holding him back draft wise. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 3

Pickens is also coming off some injury issues. 

I thought 2 years ago when i studied this class that Pickens was the best WR in the class. He has real potential 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He was asked by our pal Adam Schein about who he thought was the best receiver in the draft and the answer was surprising without hesitation he said George Pickens. 

Going to have to watch a little more film on this kid but he would definitely be there at 25 but won’t be there in the second. 

I felt the same after recently spending some time watching him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeah, he's surging up some boards.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/george-pickens-nfl-draft-buzz-continues-to-surge

Pickens is a beast. The WRs in this draft are all very talented, so it's very much a "pick your favorite flavor" in terms of who you think is the best, or what kind of player fit you're looking for, but I've been saying for weeks on this board that he'd be right there with the other top names if it weren't for his injury...

I'd be ecstatic if he were our pick at 25.

• Haha (+1) 1

You know, I don’t care what anybody says, Christian Watson is next big beast in the NFL…

He’s this year’s DK Metcalf….

I’m pounding the table for him at 25… Superior athletic score to anyone, anyone in the draft. 6’ 4” + 

big hands, dominated college competition, NFL bloodlines, amazing senior bowl….

If he went to Alabama he’d be the first to go. This is an amazing opportunity.

C’mon Beane! Sign Joe Haden before it’s too late!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

In a conversation on One Bills Live several weeks ago, Cosell shared his sky high opinion of Pickens.  He's probably available at 25 if the Bills want him.  Has a great all around skill set, ample size and good speed for his size.  If Buffalo is looking for a burner, he's far from the fastest receiver in the draft, but he's probably going to be an outstanding pro.

41 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

You know, I don’t care what anybody says, Christian Watson is next big beast in the NFL…

I’m pounding the table for him at 25… Superior athletic score to anyone, anyone in the draft. 6’ 4” + 

How exactly did he dominate when his stats are pretty lackluster?

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

The only thing he’s missing is actual big time college production.

He also leads the class in drops with an over 12% drop rate! 

He could be Metcalf, or he could be Heyward-Bey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Pretty sure I remember Joe Marino saying he didn’t think he was a good fit for Bills. And Marino is really connected to UGA. Process related 

Yes he had a rep as a selfish/bonehead decision maker.    

It is very possible that this is seen as a limiting factor to his draft stock.

I was very impressed with him working himself back into playing shape and getting back on the field late to help Georgia win the NC.   But we are talking about Sammy Watkins in another thread.........Sammy was maybe the best freshman WR in NCAA history to that date and looked like an absolute warrior on the field.........I will never forget him single handedly destroying Ohio State's defense in that bowl game.   That was nuts.

But in the pro's his inferior intellect has really undermined his game immensely.

These are admittedly things we can't know from just watching his games.    

If it was just immaturity then maybe it's not a big issue........if he thinks the earth is flat and dinosaurs didn't exist then maybe he's not smart enough to help himself. :beer:   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My issue with Pickens is the one thing Beane and McDermott have been preaching all offseason is needing speed. I think that's what we're looking for in a WR addition in the Draft. Pickens runs 4.47, which isn't slow - but it's not exceptionally fast either.

I think our WR board would have guys like Garrett Wilson, Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Alec Pierce, Calvin Austin III, Velus Jones Jr., Bo Melton, and Tyquan Thornton, in that order. 4.42 being the cut off point (in Dotson), and preferably faster than that.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Honestly, I see a lot, and I mean A LOT, of Stefon Diggs in George Pickens game. The way he runs his routes, the body language, the way he plucks the ball out of the air, and the way he moves with the ball in his hands. That's just my 2. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

He also leads the class in drops with an over 12% drop rate! 

That was covered in an earlier post somewhere. 

It has to do with the go-route, deep patterns he primarily ran at ND State (which have a higher degree of passing accuracy/catch difficulty), at the expense of shorter and intermediate routes where drop stats can be lower.   He was catching everything at the Senior Bowl, where he was used in all types of patterns with better QB play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.