Gilmore to colts… Bills WERE interested

BillsMafi$

Gilmore was not a pro here in his last stint.  Laid off tackleing during his last (Wrex) season here to protect himself at the expense of the team.  Bad attitude players like him are better off elsewhere.  And, based on what he said about Buffalo area when he was here , he was never c oming here anyway.   Beane, of  course, had no way to read the old clippings and know what Gilmore really thought.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane said he inquired about people coming in cheaper to go after a ring.  Im sure he made a similar inquiry to Gilmroe.  But Gilmore does not need to chase a ring, hes already won multiple.  At this stage, money matters near the end of his career more.  So Gilmore was never going to come here on a cheap deal and we were never going to pay any where near what he got.  

Other CB's might be willing to forego more money elsewhere to come here to chase a ring though, Gilmore just didn't fit that description.  

Multiple? He arrived in New England after their 2017 Super Bowl win (2016 season). He only won the one after 2018 season.

Edited by DrW

Beane makes the call to Gilmore's agent ...

Beane: What are you and Stefon looking for ?

Agent: 15 million a year, three year contract fully guaranteed

Beanr: seriously what are you looking for

Agent: That's the price

Beane: Have a great day, talk to you again

Gilmore's agent to the press ... "Bills were interested"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

A 5 time probowler to fill our gaping hole at CB would have been a real difference maker. Our odds took a hit when he signed with Indy. Oh well. We'd better get that CB position figured out quickly. As it stands right now, our CB corps is going to cost us a few victories. We won't be able to enter this draft with BPA in mind when we have such a big need at this important position. Also, if the coverage is poor, that gives the pass rushers less time to get home. We also must do more for the right side of the OL if we want Josh to continue playing at a very high level.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Color me surprised that he was a pro bowler last year...

He played 8 games!  And started 3.  He played 28 percent of snaps!! 

Honestly its probably worse than Allen getting snubbed.  And don't quote me his PFF, he could be deion sanders but it doesn't matter if he barely played.  

Yah go figure & Poyer sits home for the last 3 years it makes no sense what so ever ! I just can't wait to see Diggs juke him out of his shoes again & then watch Gilmore do his typical looking back at the other guy & give his where the hell were you look at him - you know it's coming when he gets burned ...

And i love it !!  

36 minutes ago, DrW said:

Multiple? He arrived in New England after their 2017 Super Bowl win (2016 season). He only won the one after 2018 season.

Ah, thought he was there for the first one, either way, he has his ring.  He doesn't need to take way less money to chase one, its his last significant contract, he was never coming here on the cheap.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We dodged a bullet. 

I am a big Gilmore detractor. But even if you view him as an elite corner, the injury risk is too much given the salary guarantee. I think the last few years have shown that he may have jumped the shark from an injury standpoint. 

I don't think he is still an elite corner. But he absolutely was an elite corner. The amount of ***** he took from Bills fans cos he didn't smile when drafted and because he held the utterly dog**** safeties Rex played accountable was ridiculous. 

Gilmore was a stud. He can still play. But I wouldn't pay that money to a guy who is better in man to come and play in a zone defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is still an elite corner. But he absolutely was an elite corner. The amount of ***** he took from Bills fans cos he didn't smile when drafted and because he held the utterly dog**** safeties Rex played accountable was ridiculous. 

Gilmore was a stud. He can still play. But I wouldn't pay that money to a guy who is better in man to come and play in a zone defense. 

I defended Gilmore quite a bit when he was here, but I do think his time as a Bill was inconsistent. He tended to not play super well the first half of the season (sometimes due to injuries, other times due to just plain poor play) and then turn it on in the second half of the season and look like one of the best corners in the league. When he left and went to New England, that same thing happened. In fact, NE fans were openly bashing him and calling for him to be released for the first few games. Predictably, Gilmore pulled it together and ended the season on a really strong trajectory. After that he brought more consistency to his game and consistently performed like an elite cornerback.

• Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We dodged a bullet. 

I am a big Gilmore detractor. But even if you view him as an elite corner, the injury risk is too much given the salary guarantee. I think the last few years have shown that he may have jumped the shark from an injury standpoint. 

what bullet? It's not like they were in negotiations...seems like just an inquiry

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He's not worth that to the Bills, but might be to the Colts. He was far from washed up last season, but I see why the Bills wouldn't want to commit those dollars to him. The search for the fan-approved CB2 continues.....

Xavier Rhodes who Gilmore is replacing in Indy works for me. 

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

I defended Gilmore quite a bit when he was here, but I do think his time as a Bill was inconsistent. He tended to not play super well the first half of the season (sometimes due to injuries, other times due to just plain poor play) and then turn it on in the second half of the season and look like one of the best corners in the league. When he left and went to New England, that same thing happened. In fact, NE fans were openly bashing him and calling for him to be released for the first few games. Predictably, Gilmore pulled it together and ended the season on a really strong trajectory. After that he brought more consistency to his game and consistently performed like an elite cornerback.

It took him a few games in New England to realize that patriot DB's don't get flagged for holding and DPI. Gilmore got flagged for holding often as a Bill.

I trust that Beane can find a couple of promising zone CBs in rounds 3-5 that McDermott/Frazier can coach into contributors by midseason.  I don't think we need another elite guy at CB yet.  I just want them to take BPA in the first two rounds barring it being a QB or DE (we have enough young rotational lineman).  If that's a CB, great.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Color me surprised that Gilmore took $11M per year over $3M and “a chance to be the best version of himself”.

I would have been disappointed if Gilmore was given more than veteran minimum by Bills.  Not a good fit IMO but Beane needed to look at all options even bad ones.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.